A little help...shouldn't something be hooked to this? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd February 2012

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Wagon
Default A little help...shouldn't something be hooked to this?

I recently bought a Saab 9-5 Wagon, 2001, base model. It has low miles, 1 previous owner, and was mostly dealer serviced. I thought I was getting quite a good vehicle based on this, but the more I work my way around the car the more I am troubled (especially now that I know about the sludgeing issues common to these cars.

I understand that I should do the PCV #6 update. I also understand that I should remove the oil pan and clean out any gunk. My problem is that I am getting confused looking at the various diagrams of exploded engine views.

I am attaching 2 pictures of troubling things. The first picture I think is part of the original PCV system (I circled the parts in particular that troubled me.) The fatter hose near the top is literally crumbling apart. The white valve (at least I'm assuming it's a valve) broke apart as soon as I touched it to take a picture. Knowing this to be bad, can anyone tell me what this is so that I can order a new one? Or would this part come with the PCV upgrade kit?

The second picture is equally annoying. I know that something ought be hooked into that little output on the throttle body that I circled. From the diagrams the best I can figure is that it's something to do with the turbocharger. I know it does SOMETHING because I can feel air coming out of it . So my second question would be, of course, what is supposed to be hooked in there? I am assuming it's more vacuum hosing but I don't know where it is supposed to end up or if there is supposed to be anything in-between the two spots. Any help in figuring out what it is so that I can order a new one would be of great help, and if anyone knows what the consequence is of leaving it open like it is now I'd be curious to know.

Overall I really enjoy my "new" Saab (I had a 92 900 for a while about 10 years ago and loved it as well) but it seems like all the tubing behind the valve cover is a rotted mess. It doesn't look too difficult to replace, but I'm not entirely sure what I'd need to do the job. Would the #6 PCV upgrade kit (as commonly sold) contain most of these parts? Any help would be great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd February 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 4 c900, 97 9k Aero, 02 9-5 aero

pic 1: nothing goes there on a 9-5

pic 2: should be a vacuum line there that runs back to a valve (bcv) on the firewall near the brake booster (it'll attach to the port that faces left)
Old 3rd February 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon HOT
Garage

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=147490

There's a pic that should help with the vacuum hose. It does go to the vacuum switch on the firewall that the rest of the hoses are attached to so there should be one hanging off. If not then you need to connect the two with a new vacuum line.
Old 3rd February 2012
Banned

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: BUICK: building a better Saab

You'll need to replace all of the 3.5-4mm hosing in that area with silicone.

Personally I'd skip pcv 6 unless you never see more than idling around town, driving for coffee, ketting your car warm up, or hauling the kids to school. My car smoked on cold start if it was previously shut off after a couple of minute cold start. After my 120 daily hwy commute lososen things up no more smoking. Must have been coked oil around the bearings.

Pvc 6 has been known to cause oil consumption in some cars.
Old 3rd February 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon HOT
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm95 View Post
You'll need to replace all of the 3.5-4mm hosing in that area with silicone.

Personally I'd skip pcv 6 unless you never see more than idling around town, driving for coffee, ketting your car warm up, or hauling the kids to school. My car smoked on cold start if it was previously shut off after a couple of minute cold start. After my 120 daily hwy commute lososen things up no more smoking. Must have been coked oil around the bearings.

Pvc 6 has been known to cause oil consumption in some cars.
You do not need to change the vacuum hoses to silicone unless you want to, you can just zip tie the lines if they keep popping off. And you should get the pcv update if you don't have it already.
Old 3rd February 2012

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Wagon

Thanks for all the great comments and references. It looks like hooking the line back up to the throttle body should be pretty easy. Can anyone tell me what the impact has been of NOT having it hooked up?

From what I understand, the latest PCV retrofit mostly stopped the excessive oil burning issue...correct? It isn't that expensive of a kit and I'd rather be safe than sorry. That said, my question about the first picture perhaps wasn't clear. The part I circled is actually the white valve itself...what kind of valve is that so that I know what to buy? Also, the other thing I circled is a wider hose that has, from what I can tell, transformed into the properties of styrofoam (you can see in the picture some cracking.) That doesn't look like a small rubber or silicone tube (unless it's covered with insulation or something.)
Old 3rd February 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

That hose should be connected to the vacuum valve; CEL, loss of power, loss of compression some of the things that can happen with that line off replace your vacuum lines uses 5/32 tubing about 8' should do it for the 4 cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelious View Post
Thanks for all the great comments and references. It looks like hooking the line back up to the throttle body should be pretty easy. Can anyone tell me what the impact has been of NOT having it hooked up?

From what I understand, the latest PCV retrofit mostly stopped the excessive oil burning issue...correct? It isn't that expensive of a kit and I'd rather be safe than sorry. That said, my question about the first picture perhaps wasn't clear. The part I circled is actually the white valve itself...what kind of valve is that so that I know what to buy? Also, the other thing I circled is a wider hose that has, from what I can tell, transformed into the properties of styrofoam (you can see in the picture some cracking.) That doesn't look like a small rubber or silicone tube (unless it's covered with insulation or something.)
That Valve, is the PCV valve; make sure the arrows on the valve are pointing towards the Throttle Body when you install the new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement