ABS help... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th February 2004

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
Default ABS help...

I never owned a saab so I do not know anything about them. I do have the opportunity to get a 93 9000 for very cheap. The only thing wrong is there are issues with the ABS. He said the stealer quoted him $1200 to fix. I am wondering if this is a commmon problem on these vehicles, and if so, is there an easy fix? One of the symptoms is that the ABS kicks in when you brake with force. As I've mostly driven beaters all my life, I'm used to not having ABS, could the system be bypassed altogether by pulling a fuse or relay? Thank you in advance for your help, and hopefully I will be a future 9000 owner and can particpate on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th February 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
Location: Flying in my Vector in Basing-St'oke - 2002 9-5 Vector
Default Re: ABS help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocampg
One of the symptoms is that the ABS kicks in when you brake with force.
Welcome to SaabCentral!

This sounds like what is meant to happen. Do you mean that it happens even when the wheels would normally not skid? It's been pretty slippy out and about recently so if you stomp on the brakes it is quite likely that ABS will come on.

How much is he asking for the car?

Mark
Old 21st February 2004
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2002                                                

There's a warning light in the dash, ANTI LOCK light. If this yellow text is lit more than a couple of seconds after start up (i.e. being lit continuously), there's a fault in the ABS system. However, the brakes will work like a non ABS equipped brakes even with ANTI LOCK light on. The system can be overrided for example by unplugging the fuse (which will by the way lit the ANTI LOCK light), but I don't see a point in this, because if the light is on, the ABS isn't working anyhow

It's usually one of the front wheel sensors that cause malfunction of the ABS. Your local dealer will be able to tell you exactly what's wrong with the ABS for not that much money. They'll just plug it in to diagnostic computer (Tech II), which gives the failed component.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement