2007 Saab 9-3 - Dumb oil question... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th January 2012

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Sport
Default 2007 Saab 9-3 - Dumb oil question...

Ok, so as a new Saab owner I am now due for my first oil change with this car. I thought I read in the service manual that you can reset the service light after you perform the maintenance (oil change), instead of taking it to the dealer. And the manual says it takes like 6.3 quarts of oil - how does a little 2.0 ltr engine take that much oil?? And the dealer charges about $80 to do an oil change....so, do people take their cars in to the dealer for an oil change or just do it at home and reset the light yourself?
$80 just seems little insane for an oil change....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th January 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T

This post really shouldn't be in the MODS section but anyway.....

I take my car to Schmelz Countryside Saab for oil changes. It's $85 with tax. It is expensive but oil changes are only recommended on our cars every year or 10k (whichever comes first). If you want to change it more often (many on this site do) then I would just invest in the supplies and DIY just make sure you buy the CORRECT oil as our cars take a more expensive, synthetic European blend. Just search this site and you'll find all the information you need on oil specs, etc.

If you do the oil change yourself the SID can be changed by re-setting the year ahead and then re-setting it back to the correct year. I don't know the specifics but there is plenty of information on this on the site if you search.
Old 18th January 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady

no service light on the 9-3

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..
Old 18th January 2012

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Sport

Dang, I did post in the wrong section - sorry.

The PO used Mobile 1 synthetic every 10K miles, so I figured I could just get that and a filter at NAPA anyway - I just didn't think I'd have to get 7 quarts!!

I do have a service light on right now, but I also have a side marker light out too - is that what its for? And I can clear it by just pressing info, or whatever button on the steering wheel...you probably can't just clear (ignore) a "real" check/service engine light, can you?
Old 18th January 2012

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2006 2.0T SC, 9-3 2006 aero SS

I change mine myself. I just reset the service engine light myself in the SID. Never messed with the dates on the clock. I just check it so often for the percentage of life left. I used Mobil one, and whatever filter I can find. Its pretty dang easy to do yourself.
Old 18th January 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 07' 9-3ss Aero

i do my own oil, i buy 6qrts and filter from walmart to auto zone or whatever and change it myself. it really does take 6qrts. you can invest in a le5 oil pan(good option if you auto x too) and only need to use 5qrts...that pan is from the 2.4l ecotec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement