The ultimate iPhone / smartphone and gps mount - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th January 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5, '73 99, 89 SPG
Default The ultimate iPhone / smartphone and gps mount

I've had a lot of different custom mounts in my car over the years including using iPod docks, upholder mounts etc. I have customized the ram mounting system to fit perfectly by drilling two holes in my rear view mirror. See results below. It is a perfect solution in conjunction with a stereo bluetooth a2dp receiver.

Last edited by 19016c; 13th January 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th January 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 Aero

Clever work, but too much crap in your field of vision.

2002 9-5 Aero
Boonville, MO
Old 13th January 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: '06 & '07 93 AERO

nice work, but like ^ it looks like a lot going on for the middle of your windshield. I've got mine in the top left corner of my windshield and its still a little sketchy sometimes.

do you think you'll run into any trouble with having it mounted there (police), i could be completely wrong, but arnt there some laws agains having gps (or anything else) mounted to your windshield or in your field of view? (may not apply to your state)
Old 16th January 2012
Saab Crazy

Thanks to the swivel joints, the arm can swing into many different positions, including to the side of the mirror in portrait mode if you need to just get it out of the way. Otherwise the position shown is ideal for using the phone as a GPS, dialing, etc. I did a blog post listing the parts you would need for a DIY. You could also get additional arms and joints for additional capability. It also works quite well for shooting in car footage.

I use an A2DP stereo bluetooth device to stream music to my head unit so there are no wires or other obstructions. In the future, hopefully a bluetooth receiver with both A2DP(music) and HFP(phone calls), will come to market which does not require the use of an external microphone. For now, I just a stereo bluetooth receiver which disconnects and transfers the call to speaker, should a call come through while music is playing.

Last edited by 19016c; 16th January 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 16th January 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero Sedan, BLK/Tan

I don't see this as any more of a problem than an OEM GPS in the dash - and probably less.

Either you are looking at it or you are not, and the dash one's require you to look down and away from the road while this one just requires a minor glance to the right.

Just like looking in your rear view mirror. How dangerous is that?

Great job!

Can you give the make and model of the phone cradle?
Old 16th January 2012
Saab Crazy

Amazon.com: RAM Mounting Systems Ram Mount Motorcycle Brake Clutch for Apple iPhone 4: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: RAM Mounting Systems Ram Mount Motorcycle Brake Clutch for Apple iPhone 4: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: RAM Mount Long Double Socket Arm f/1" Ball Bases: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: RAM Mount Long Double Socket Arm f/1" Ball Bases: Sports & Outdoors

Also optional is a double ball mount which would let you position your phone to the right or left of the mirror.
Amazon.com: RAM Mount Aluminum Double 1'' Ball Adapter: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: RAM Mount Aluminum Double 1'' Ball Adapter: GPS & Navigation
Old 16th January 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero Sedan, BLK/Tan

Thanks!
Old 16th January 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: None at the moment

That looks great man. I'm sure its not much of an obstruction given the size of iphones. I just got a gps which I mount tothe windshield, and besides security purposes (damn thieves!!) I never have it up because its in the way.
Old 17th January 2012
Saab Crazy

Yeah you can pop off the mount arm super easily if you're worried about theft as well. Just loosen the wing screw. Since there's that black coating on the windshield, no one can see the tiny ball mount sticking out when the arm is removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement