Transmission dipstick? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th January 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: Black 2003 saab 9-3, 5 speed, Td04 turbo
Default Transmission dipstick?

I have a 2003 saab 9-3 Linear 2.0T, I just bought the car so I am taking a look through all of my fluids to see what needs changing and what doesnt. I can not find the transmission fluid dipstick for the life of me, some help please? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th January 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

Do you have the automatic? If so, it's bright green and you can see it if you look straight down sort of behind the radiator, maybe just to the right of the center of the car. It's held on with a 10 mm hex nut, I think. I can only get to mine by putting the car on ramps and reaching up from underneath. I think I have a picture somewhere, I'll try to post it...

Edit: There's a picture in this thread http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=140361
Old 14th January 2012

i have a 5 speed manual transmission, is it any different?
Old 15th January 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003saab93 View Post
i have a 5 speed manual transmission, is it any different?
Ah, yes. I got confused, partly 'cause many of the manual transmissions are six speeds, we auto folks are perhaps the more common 5's.

Anyhow, I believe that you don't have a dipstick if you have a manual. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. My ng900 had a manual, and it only had one of those inspection plugs to check the level, no dipstick.
Old 15th January 2012

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 05 93 2.0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarkert View Post
Ah, yes. I got confused, partly 'cause many of the manual transmissions are six speeds, we auto folks are perhaps the more common 5's.

Anyhow, I believe that you don't have a dipstick if you have a manual. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. My ng900 had a manual, and it only had one of those inspection plugs to check the level, no dipstick.
yeah you're right, manuals don't have dipsticks. ( thought that was common knowledge )
Old 16th January 2012

so is there a way to check it without putting more fluid in? like is it possible to put ur finger inside and see if u can feel the fluid?
Old 16th January 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: Jag XF + Aero 2.8 XWD Auto

the 5 sp has an allen key bolt / plug just behind and a little higher than the driveshaft...this is the fill level, so if the car is raised nice and level the oil should just be at the lip of the whole.....at the bottom of the casing is the drain plug.
Access to it is by removing the left wheel...most likely a bit tight so try to use good quality allen tools to minimise the chance of wrecking the bolt / plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement