Mahindra (India) Interested in SAAB ? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > SAAB Corporate News

SAAB Corporate News For corporate news strictly about SAAB & NEVS (National Electric Vehicle Sweden AB)

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th December 2011

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage
Default Mahindra (India) Interested in SAAB ?

Speculative for sure ............

http://www.saabsunited.com/2011/12/h...d-company.html

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th December 2011

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: currently looking for a classic 900!!!!!

It could work,tata seems to be doing well with jag and land rover.
Old 29th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: None anymore

Mahindra builds ROCK SOLID tractors, one that you can buy in the US right now.

If this were true, it might make me walk back into a Saab dealer. I have a lot of respect for Mahindra as a company.
Old 29th December 2011
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 04 9-3CV auto

I bet all the pieces of the company will be bought up, and they very well may develop cars under the SAAB name, its really just a matter of how much of the company does any one entity buy. Part of me wants to see SAAB rise again, but part of me wants to just see it rest in peace. Hope it all works out for the best.
Old 30th December 2011

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedus129 View Post
Part of me wants to see SAAB rise again, but part of me wants to just see it rest in peace. Hope it all works out for the best.
Saab can't rest in peace, because it was murdered. Sure, Saab had plenty of problems, but as it fought for survival, it was GM who cut Saab's throat. The greedy b**ds should have been dead themselves, was it not for gov-t bailing them out with *our* money. And, with all US taxpayers being the unwitting GM shareholders, GM killed Saab for "our own benefit", too. Quite a happy ending...
Old 30th December 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Saab can't rest in peace, because it was murdered. Sure, Saab had plenty of problems, but as it fought for survival, it was GM who cut Saab's throat. The greedy b**ds should have been dead themselves, was it not for gov-t bailing them out with *our* money. And, with all US taxpayers being the unwitting GM shareholders, GM killed Saab for "our own benefit", too. Quite a happy ending...
Having this bitter attitude towards the situation is justified but it also will not help its image. Its like pro sports players who keep coming back and every un-retirement they have they either get hurt or just play like crap. I just don't want to see a situation with SAAB where it ends up like that, I want to remember them by the company that made my first car, the car that saved my life, and then the car that has given me amazing summer days and nights. Not remember a brand by a dragged out vicious bankruptcy vulture feast. /endrant
Old 30th December 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdTurboX View Post
"I want to remember them by the company that made my first car, the car that saved my life, and then the car that has given me amazing summer days and nights."

Hold me, hug me, tell me you care....

Ahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Quit being such a panty-wearing sissy girl.
That was a little over the top.. but when I got t boned at 60mph by a honda pilot and walked away I gained an appreciation for these cars.
Old 30th December 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2004                                                

I could see Mahindra buying the technology, but let's face it, the brand name is now worthless. Sure, it might mean something to the small group of us on this forum, but to the rest of the civilized world it's a company that could never sell enough cars to be relevant.

Even if the brand was resurrected and started producing cars that can compete with BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc., people will still buy from the trusted brands.

As much as I don't want to believe it, we have to face reality.
Old 30th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Volvo C30 R Design, 1992 900T 'Vert
Garage

I used to follow Saabs situation closely, always hoping they could pull through so I could support them and buy a new one after graduation. Now all I care about is them making parts so I can get my Aero fixed and sell the damn thing. Germany is calling.
Old 30th December 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '06 2.0T ARC droptop, '92 900 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post
I could see Mahindra buying the technology, but let's face it, the brand name is now worthless. Sure, it might mean something to the small group of us on this forum, but to the rest of the civilized world it's a company that could never sell enough cars to be relevant.

Even if the brand was resurrected and started producing cars that can compete with BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc., people will still buy from the trusted brands.

As much as I don't want to believe it, we have to face reality.
OK, how about this reality...people are buying Hyundais and Kias, brands that were only slightly better than Yugos when the came on the scene. And did you ever witness the total piece of crap that an Audi Fox was??...and yet they are competing with Mercedes
Old 30th December 2011

very very true,but it took hyundai/kia atleast 20 years to improve their image enough that their now competetive enough to matter.
Old 30th December 2011
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisdad View Post
OK, how about this reality...people are buying Hyundais and Kias, brands that were only slightly better than Yugos when the came on the scene. And did you ever witness the total piece of crap that an Audi Fox was??...and yet they are competing with Mercedes
true, and people especially north americans have miniscule attention spans. perhaps the name Phoenix is prophetic. let's hope so!
Old 30th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: ....................empty.

Quote:
I could see Mahindra buying the technology..............

For me, that's where history starts to repeat itself.
Mahindra know it's know it's the technology that is the asset here.

In the end, GM basically used Saab as a technology arm to source and develop systems that would not have been learnt by GM independently in the same time frame.

It's ALL about the technology.
Eat the Pudding!
------------
ODE to the N\A
"I have not TURBINE to compress my buttocks, O lord,
Pity will be thine when thoust can crap on with boost.
We of the 'N\A - N\A' knowst nil of the pulling glory,
Yea, to post, thy blight the day of those who pressurise their pipes,
Alas, suck be mine that my chariot breathes,
Strike me down for mine is an unworthy existance"

Old 31st December 2011

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3

What technology? What is so special about Saab technology, or BMW technology, or VW/Audi technology, for that matter?

Did Ford, and then Tata buy Jaguar for its technology, or for its premium brand image? Did GM really lack technology when they bought Saab?

C'mon, designing and manufacturing ANYTHING is a piece of cake compared to marketing / selling it. And brand image is invaluable.... How many people buy a bimmer because of the technology, and how many because it's a BMW?

Bankrupt or not, Saab is a premium European brand, while Mahindra, obviously, isn't. They, like Kia and Huyndai, can work hard on building up their brand, yet forever be perceived as "good value" third-world marque, or they can buy Saab for pennies on the dollar and jump right into the premium European league!

That's what GM itself was after, 20 years back, except that they screwed up with platform whoring and not understanding Saab's niche.

Last edited by Toly; 31st December 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 31st December 2011
SaabNut!

The only thing GM is guilty of is bad timing. They should have immediately followed up the 9-3 with the new 9-4 and 9-5. That would have kept people interested in the brand. Rewind 12+ months ago. Walk into a Saab dealer and you have 2 options, a 7 year old 9-3 or an 11 year old 9-5. I don't think platform whoring had anything to do with it. More like platform stagnation.

I am by no means a GM lackey, but my 9-3 got a lot of looks when it was new in 2003. The 9-5 also got a lot of rave reviews here when the first photos were released. Aren't these both GM products?

I think the decisions in the end can be attributed to GM having much bigger problems to deal with, like the crumbling market share and profits here in the states. Saab was probably near the bottom of their priority list. Saab wasn't going to save GM.
Old 31st December 2011

Quote:
The only thing GM is guilty of is bad timing. They should have immediately followed up the 9-3 with the new 9-4 and 9-5. That would have kept people interested in the brand. Rewind 12+ months ago. Walk into a Saab dealer and you have 2 options, a 7 year old 9-3 or an 11 year old 9-5. I don't think platform whoring had anything to do with it. More like platform stagnation.
very true saab only made a profit for one year I believe in gm's rein of it (1995 i believe)someone i'm sure will correct me if i'm wrongthey never really put much into saab other than an opel platform,from 04 on saab's started to get boring and almost looked like subaru's from the backatleast in my opinion.
Old 31st December 2011

maybe a little more than a rumor now....http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-mahindra.html
Old 1st January 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SC, 2013 Volvo C70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefever View Post
very true saab only made a profit for one year I believe in gm's rein of it (1995 i believe)someone i'm sure will correct me if i'm wrongthey never really put much into saab other than an opel platform,from 04 on saab's started to get boring and almost looked like subaru's from the backatleast in my opinion.
GM never made a profit. That's a myth perpetuated by bad information on wikicrapia....
Old 1st January 2012
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: ....................empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
What technology? What is so special about Saab technology..........?
There may not be anything special about Saab technology now but when GM first took Saab, their "higher order" car technology was average but obviously had mainstream manufacturing processes that Saab didn't.
Saab, in theory, gained some manufacturing processes (along with the indifferent Q/C that came with that) but GM gained technologies that brought the mainstream car a bit safer and more economical. GM forced Saab to use a cheap family chassis and didn't allow Saab the engineering space necessary to qualify the product that GM forced them to use. Over here, the family mainstream car Commodore has had the Saab cup holder directly lifted and fitted without any real attempt to hide the origins, the GM V6 is now offered with biofuel etc. ....not cutting edge but it is hard to think that development was not assisted by the similar path of the Saab biofuel product 2 years earlier........The GM (Holden) Vectra and Astra cars here that had the same under pinnings as the GM900 suffered the same steering rack departures from the firewall, engines expiring due the oil and sludge issues............. That is a sad indication of the engineering failure that Saab had to concede to - too much dumbing down and cost cutting has eventually made the Saab story what it is now.
Overall, GM gained more than Saab in the bigger picture..............always was going to be the outcome.

Mahindra aren't going to gain anything specific but it will bring them up-to-date technologies instantly (if not far quicker than the would on their own) if they acquire what "technologies" are left over.
Eat the Pudding!
------------
ODE to the N\A
"I have not TURBINE to compress my buttocks, O lord,
Pity will be thine when thoust can crap on with boost.
We of the 'N\A - N\A' knowst nil of the pulling glory,
Yea, to post, thy blight the day of those who pressurise their pipes,
Alas, suck be mine that my chariot breathes,
Strike me down for mine is an unworthy existance"

Old 2nd January 2012

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 AERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefever View Post
maybe a little more than a rumor now....http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-mahindra.html

Mahindra Interested In Bankrupt Saab

Reuters Sat, Dec 31, 2011 1:39 AM EST: Mahindra & Mahindra (:MAHM.NSMAHM.NS), India's largest utility vehicle maker, is interested in buying at least part of bankrupt Swedish carmaker Saab Automobile, Bloomberg reported on Friday citing sources.

Mahindra is trying to set up meetings with two court-appointed administrators who are overseeing Saab's bankruptcy possibly to buy parts of the carmaker or the whole company, Bloomberg said.

A Mahindra spokeswoman declined to comment when contacted by Reuters.

Saab was declared bankrupt by a court earlier this month, ending a nine-month battle by its Dutch owner Swedish Automobile NV (:SWAN.NSSWAN.NS) to stay afloat. It has not made any vehicles since April and several rescues have failed.

A number of potential buyers have shown interest in parts or all of Saab and there is a chance a deal can be made that allows some operations to continue, the company's receivers said on Friday.

Saab's court-appointed receivers, Hans Bergqvist and Anne-Marie Pouteaux, said in a statement they had met a number of Swedish and foreign players who have expressed interest in a possible purchase of all or parts of the business.
Advertisement