new exhuast - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28-12-11
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1988 900s 16v
Default new exhuast

has anyone used bosal exhuast? if so how does it perform, im going ahead and ordering a direct replacement muffler and thats pretty much all i can find. that and the turbo tailpipe for about 118.75 shipping included
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-11
Banned

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900S // 1991 Turbo Vert SE

Starla Walker.

Bosal I believe is the OEM system; more expensive for no reason except name.

Starla Walker is a more common after market replacement thats fairly priced at eeuroparts...
Old 28-12-11
Saab Crazy

oh ok thanks i wasnt sure about that but figured its a around the stock quality. eeuroparts are wanting about 80 before shipping.
Old 28-12-11
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                

Bosal products will last twice as long as Starla (now made by Walker), the Starla fits better, OE does both.
In the early '90s Starla was bought by Walker, durability quickly declined. When I ran my own independent shop I stopped using Starla because we had too many warranty replacements. Bosal always needed more fiddling to get it to hang right, but they lasted a long, long time. They were also more impact resistant, which is a big deal if you live where there are a lot of snow banks to back into and ice chunks to run over.
Old 28-12-11
Saab Crazy

i hope it will withstand my driveway i got one hell of a slope at the end of it and isnt really ideal for lowered cars, i have alsorts of angling meathods i use and barely hit now
Old 28-12-11
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Saab 900 turbo convertible, AT

Haven't used either, running a Thrush all-welded 2-chamber oval muffler, 2.5" center inlet / offset outlet, got from Summit Racing for about $40. Had a muffler shop weld it up. I'm not a direct bolt-on muffler kinda person, would rather have a muffler shop do it, with new pipe, hangars, welds, etc. But I know some of these kits will actually bolt-on as advertised, and can probably be done without too much aggravation, if you have an impact wrench, or a breaker bar, and a propane torch or PB Blaster to loosen the old nuts.

When you peel the onion back on a lot of these mufflers, they actually have Walker part numbers, so like has already been mentioned, you could very well end up with a Walker product in the end. I'm okay with that, since they're fairly inexpensive compared to OEM parts ($1100 for an OEM cat on my '91 T16 'vert?! that's INSANE!).

For what I spent on the Thrush muffler, I got the sound and performance of a FlowMaster or Magnaflow at half the price. Good luck with your direct bolt-on project, and take some "before and after" pics when you do it.
Old 28-12-11
Saab Crazy

i wish i did start the pics when i was in the middle of discovering the sound issue with my car and when the rear section busted off due to the crazy driveway. i still have it all outfront waiting for the garbage guy to come so i run out and stap some pics.

the first issue was the rear muffler disided it had enough

the second was removing the pipe from the muffler, i tryed alot of things and disided the grinder will work best

after about a month in half i would say she started having them issues with a crazy noise i didnt replace the rear section just yet due to my toe getting shattered.
cuase of the noise, these aggrivating peices rolling around and some how along with rocks in the muffler

how i got em out, with a grinder of course becuase i knew either way im buying a new one payday, i also did it like that because i needed to test drive and double check the cuase of the noise. grinder lots muffler tons of aggrivation
Old 28-12-11
Saab Crazy

when i took her for a test drive it reminded me of when i drove my vw racecar becaue how loud it was. the muffler was like a 10in oval tip lol
Old 28-12-11
Saab Crazy

Help me out here...you've got an '88 T16, yes? So it looks like you're exhaust goes engine - cat - mid muffler (oval with the rear section cut out?) - rear muffler (round muffler with the tail pipe?)

I got a new Walker cat and Thrush muffler installed a few weeks ago, with new 2.5" tubing, from the cat connector all the way to the back. The Thrush muffler is tucked up, so it shouldn't drag on anything (steep driveways, speed bumps, etc). The shop did a good job with the install, but I wasn't able to get any pics of it while the car was still up on the rack. When I get back to VA on Sunday, I might crawl under the car and see if I can get some decent pics. I don't think I have a rear muffler on my car, just the cat and muffler before the rear wheels, nothing after that but exhaust pipe to the rear exit. Were the 88's different in that respect, in that there's a round rear muffler after the oval mid muffler?
Old 28-12-11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
Help me out here...you've got an '88 T16, yes? So it looks like you're exhaust goes engine - cat - mid muffler (oval with the rear section cut out?) - rear muffler (round muffler with the tail pipe?)

I got a new Walker cat and Thrush muffler installed a few weeks ago, with new 2.5" tubing, from the cat connector all the way to the back. The Thrush muffler is tucked up, so it shouldn't drag on anything (steep driveways, speed bumps, etc). The shop did a good job with the install, but I wasn't able to get any pics of it while the car was still up on the rack. When I get back to VA on Sunday, I might crawl under the car and see if I can get some decent pics. I don't think I have a rear muffler on my car, just the cat and muffler before the rear wheels, nothing after that but exhaust pipe to the rear exit. Were the 88's different in that respect, in that there's a round rear muffler after the oval mid muffler?

If that is a Naturally Apsired car we have 2 mufflers on NA cars(nice and quiet). Got both on my 2.1 and my rear most muffler's internals looked pretty close to his before I replaced it with the Walker system.

With a good set of tires I could creep up on a Deer ..
Old 28-12-11
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Saab 900S Convertible

Maybe this is a good place to ask a question regarding exhaust. I just installed a complete system from Eeurosports and it fit nicely. However, I saw a ton of rust on the part that goes between the cat and the floor and the exhaust pipe and floor (under shifter). Heat shield is the words I was looking for.
Anyway, while removing the plate behind the shifter the heat shield just fell on the floor - totally rusted.
How important are they to have on the car? I am assuming critical, but would like to know before I drop another hundred.
Old 28-12-11
Saab on the Brain!

That cylindrical rear muffler (or resonator) looks like the kind of generic stuff usually seen on Midas or Meineke or Pep Boys systems. National chains like those use the worst parts I've ever seen; technical expertise is usually (there are rare exceptions) just as good as the parts.
Old 28-12-11
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajochum View Post
How important are they to have on the car? I am assuming critical, but would like to know before I drop another hundred.
If the motor runs well, and is not left to idle too long without cooling air flow, the Catalytic Converter probably won't overheat and melt the wiring harness above the Heat Shield.
Old 28-12-11
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Saab 900S Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mesthene View Post
If the motor runs well, and is not left to idle too long without cooling air flow, the Catalytic Converter probably won't overheat and melt the wiring harness above the Heat Shield.
Thanks - I will keep my eyes out for a good deal, but it's nice to know there is no rush. I think I got your drift.....
Old 28-12-11
Saab Crazy

its an n/a car but im going to be buying the turbo cat back.
Old 28-12-11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajochum View Post
Thanks - I will keep my eyes out for a good deal, but it's nice to know there is no rush. I think I got your drift.....
In other words; fix sooner than later....
Old 29-12-11
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B202NUT View Post
If that is a Naturally Apsired car we have 2 mufflers on NA cars(nice and quiet). Got both on my 2.1 and my rear most muffler's internals looked pretty close to his before I replaced it with the Walker system.

With a good set of tires I could creep up on a Deer ..
Good catch, I went and looked at his sig, and he's got a NA 16v, so that explains the "extra" muffler at the back...

I need my cars to make a little bit of noise, to let me know they're alive and kicking, lol! A friend of mine had a Chrysler Sebring GTC convertible (2.7 V6 w/5-speed), and complained that it was too quiet. So I had one of those Thrush / Summit all-welded 2-chamber mufflers that I like so much installed on her car, and she likes the sound. Even her mechanic said it's one of the nicest sounding cars he's ever worked on.

And the burble I get at startup from the setup I have on my c900 always brings a smile to my face!
Old 29-12-11
Saab Crazy

i would install like a thrush, or something like that but dont have extra money really to have it welded in, the exhaust shops in the barstow area want way way to much money for a few welds
Old 29-12-11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
Good catch, I went and looked at his sig, and he's got a NA 16v, so that explains the "extra" muffler at the back...

I need my cars to make a little bit of noise, to let me know they're alive and kicking, lol! A friend of mine had a Chrysler Sebring GTC convertible (2.7 V6 w/5-speed), and complained that it was too quiet. So I had one of those Thrush / Summit all-welded 2-chamber mufflers that I like so much installed on her car, and she likes the sound. Even her mechanic said it's one of the nicest sounding cars he's ever worked on.

And the burble I get at startup from the setup I have on my c900 always brings a smile to my face!
Sorry no offense to you personally, but if your older than 20 a loud muffler is just wrong! Its wrong no matter the age but the adolescent honda ricers get pass, although I have yet to see, excuse me, hear one whizz by and not give a negative head nod.

Its just not appropriate for my taste, but I am very conservative when it comes to any car; not much more than what was gifted at stock is my motto.

Exhaust systems are HIGH on the list of "leave stock alone".

I guess we all have our fun in our own little ways but I get more satisfaction from putting things back the way they came just clean...

I cannot see needing anything more than the stock burble on a Turbo.
Old 03-01-12
Saab Crazy

well i just got my rear exhuast in today, it looks like its about 2 /4 round with the box tip on it. and im still waiting for my muffler to get in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement