Stability Control Failure - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 VTuned Aero
Default Stability Control Failure

So the other day I hit a broken piece of curb on the side of the road and bent a rim lip. Drove on it for two days with no problems. Had my stock rims put back on with two new tires in back and the back tires moved up front. Pulled out of the parking lot went a mile down the road and got Stability Traction Control Error. Got home and when I went out that night everything was fine. Next morning to work had to problem. Left work today and it came back. Again tonight. So anyway...

I'm wondering if this is because of the curb or something they did. I was assuming my my fault but it had no problem while I drove on it the few days after bending the rim. No warnings whatsoever.

What am I looking at for repairs? Is this commonly sensors?

Really have no desire to spend any money on this thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3ss ARC

ive been riding with stability control off for months now. i actually like the way the car drives without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23rd December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 04 93, 03 93, 01/95

The sensor is the black wired item that plugs into the steering knuckle. It reads the rotation of the wheel and sends back corrective brake information to stop the wheel from spinning. This is a DIY repair if you want to replace the unit. Be prepared to use rust release spray like CRC's Freeze Off for a rusted bolt attaching the unit.

It could be something else. If you want to know for sure, get a code reader that has an ABS read feature.
Old 23rd December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 VTuned Aero

Thanks jcm. It seems to come and go still. It will come on sometimes and stay on, come on and go off a little while later, or not even come on. So my thoughts were a bad sensor since it doesn't seem to have a definitive error. Does autozone use readers that have the ABS reader?

Ilk have to start looking for the part online. Just sucks cause now its getting cold. I dont want to sit under the car trying to break that bolt lose.
Old 23rd December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9³ It go PSHHHH at MPS Tune stage 3
Garage

I had the same problem. Turned out my battery was bad. But as for the parts it the sensor and what not is expensive. I did alot of looking before I figured out my battery was the problem. But this could also be simple too. The sensor is, I believe, in the driver side rear wheel.

But when I was searching around I found out it could be, the wheel bearing, sensor, a wire, or the turn signal lever thing.

I would jack the rear of the car up and take a look sees.
Old 24th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

If the hold-bolt breaks off, just silicone a new unit in place and worry about drilling the bolt in the spring. The sensor sleaves into a cylinder that is secure. The bolt is really overkill to stop the unit from lifting up. Easy to get to and replace.
Old 24th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

You might also try pushing your ESP button located just above the wiper arm on the panel. This disables the system to see if you get any effect from button push.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement