Let's campaign for GM to salvage the parts situation - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th December 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3
Default Let's campaign for GM to salvage the parts situation

I saw on Facebook where someone mentioned an interesting idea.

GM should cross reference Saab part numbers with GM part numbers. That will cost them nothing and gain them sales. GM could even help supply spare parts that Saabs can use.

Even if GM is selfish, helping with parts can only help GM. Why create unnecessary enemies.

Help us GM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th December 2011

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: None

Better yet-how about we all get together and file a Class Action Lawsuit against this worthless, deadbeat company otherwise known as GM.
Old 19th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 SS Aero BSR (RIP). 2012 Wrangler

Interesting to think that if GM had never sold Saab, we wouldn't be on this position. If they had just closed the brand, they'd still be suppying us with parts.
So many folks on this board and others badmouth GM, but fail to recognize the whole "save Saab" campaign not only delayed the inevitable, but also put us in quite a pickle for parts availability. Not trying to start a debate. Just saying that I'm a little envious of Saturn, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Hummer owners right now...
Old 19th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington01 View Post
Interesting to think that if GM had never sold Saab, we wouldn't be on this position. If they had just closed the brand, they'd still be suppying us with parts.
So many folks on this board and others badmouth GM, but fail to recognize the whole "save Saab" campaign not only delayed the inevitable, but also put us in quite a pickle for parts availability. Not trying to start a debate. Just saying that I'm a little envious of Saturn, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Hummer owners right now...
Yes, and actually, I think the whole "Save Saab" business just played into GM's hand, quite frankly. Instead of having to close the brand, and deal with the ill will and liabilities that would have entailed, they just dumped it on an undercapitalized buyer in the form of Spyker/Muller, and sat back and let nature take its course.

Cynical. But then GM has always been a very cynical company. It was quite plain back in 09 that GM never sought a well-capitalized buyer for Saab the way Ford did with Volvo, Jaguar, and Land Rover. Interest was there, but Saab just blew off any Chinese or other interest in the brand. The sale of what was then current Saab tech to BAIC was a clear sign of that.

Hopefully, Saab owners will realize how badly they have been screwed, and how nasty this large welfare recipient known as "GM" really is.

And they should remember, if they live in the US, they are effectively owners of GM, considering that the US Treasury still owns 33 % of GM stock (and contrary to the crap you hear from GM apologists, GM has not paid back all of the money they owe the government, they are still 25 Billion Dollars in the hole.).

US owners should definitely let their elected reps know how they feel about the treatment they have received from GM.
Old 19th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-spd

What about Saab-specific parts?

Should I be concerned about availability of something like an Aero clutch in the future?
Old 19th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington01 View Post
Oh, and one more thing-don't kid yourself...GM NEVER had any intention of treating Saab owners like Olds, Pontiac, etc. etc., owners, no matter what happened The entire stupid corporation had quite plainly come to hate the brand-read that lying overrated hack Lutz's comments re: Saab, in his self-serving memoirs. That SOB lied through his teeth about Saab back in the day, now it is clear that all along he had nothing but contempt for the brand and its customers.

It was clear at the multi-brand GM dealer that took over my independent Saab dealers' business, that they hated the cars also.

Heck-back in 09 I considered trading in my Saab for a new car. One of the cars I considered was a Caddy CTS (unlikely for me because I'm a stick-shift guy in the snow-belt, and the CTS was only available with a stick with RWD...but still, I thought I would check it out.)

So I go to GMs web page and look under incentives, because I knew GM had a loyalty incentive, and I see Pontiac, yeah, Saturn, Hummer owners...dumped brands, but they all qualify for GM loyalty.....where's Saab? Huh...Saab's not listed, must be an oversight...so I call GM....nope, sorry, no oversight...Saab owners who purchased under GM...unlike all other dumped brands, were not eligible for GM Loyalty discount. The attitude from the GM rep was basically: "Nyah, Nyah, Na, Nyah, Nyah".

Screw GM, the world's largest welfare recipient.

Last edited by la_strada; 20th December 2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 20th December 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9≥ 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_strada View Post
...read that lying overrated hack Lutz's comments re: Saab, in his self-serving memoirs. That SOB lied through his teeth about Saab back in the day, now it is clear that all along he had nothing but contempt for the brand and its customers..
But apparently not it's engineering expertise, which they have just bankrupted the company to steal for their own.

Quote:
Screw GM, the world's largest welfare recipient.
Too nice, but I don't like to post words such as I am thinking about GM.
Old 20th December 2011

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T VTuner Stg 0

Saab is the closest I've come to buying anything GM. I don't mean that negatively against Saab, I have always loved the brand. I just have always hated GM and how the sheeple of America allow them to keep spewing out the crap they produce. There is a reason why Clarkson hates American cars so much. I would not care if we lost the bailout money if GM were to go under tomorrow (forget about all the jobs lost with my statement, even though GM doesn't care about all the jobs lost in Sweden)

Ford is still on my **** list...I want the freakin' Focus RS in America!!!! I love British cars and the proper sale of Jaguar earned them some brownie points with me. Saab 9-3 + Jaguar XK + Focus RS = my realistic dream garage
Old 20th December 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 2.3T w/ Sport Package

i don't really understand, Saab Parts is going to continue to carry on as a profitable, independent entity. What's the big deal about parts?
Old 20th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller View Post
i don't really understand, Saab Parts is going to continue to carry on as a profitable, independent entity. What's the big deal about parts?
Until 4:30 PM today, that was far from clear. There were several reports on this board and elsewhere of Saab owners who bought pre-Spyker Saabs and who still had Saab warranties, were being denied warranty service. Also reports that Saab USA warehouse had suspended parts deliveries yesterday. That situation has still not been resolved, though apparently it will be resolved soon (hopefully).
Old 21st December 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 2.3T w/ Sport Package

Quote:
Until 4:30 PM today, that was far from clear. There were several reports on this board and elsewhere of Saab owners who bought pre-Spyker Saabs and who still had Saab warranties, were being denied warranty service. Also reports that Saab USA warehouse had suspended parts deliveries yesterday. That situation has still not been resolved, though apparently it will be resolved soon (hopefully).

well by law in Europe a maker has to supply parts for 10 years after the company shutters so Saab Parts will still be around, now getting those parts to the US might be a little harder, but I suspect Saab Parts AB will just buy the Saab USA parts warehouse and continue business as normal.

I'm not worried about parts, there is a built in market there and money to be made.
Old 21st December 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 SS Linear

Building on the thread, it is possible now to find GM equivalents to SAAB part numbers. You just have to get creative and do some digging. Perhaps we, as a group, can start a list of GM Part #'s that are known replacements for SAAB OEM?
Old 21st December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear

Shaw SAAB (owner of saabpartsusa.com) called me today Ė all parts sales are frozen (SAAB is not making any shipments) so they canít get the ECU I need, and they canít get the fog lights either. Anything that dealers do not have in stock right now, canít be had.

Sooo, parts availability has become an issue already. I may very well have to trade up to a Bimmer sooner rather than later.
Old 21st December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvette View Post
Shaw SAAB (owner of saabpartsusa.com) called me today Ė all parts sales are frozen (SAAB is not making any shipments) so they canít get the ECU I need, and they canít get the fog lights either. Anything that dealers do not have in stock right now, canít be had.

Sooo, parts availability has become an issue already. I may very well have to trade up to a Bimmer sooner rather than later.
Parts availability has been an issue for a while now. I tried to order 4 different parts for my car about 3 weeks ago, only to be told that everything was on backorder with no ETA from Saab.
Old 21st December 2011

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Aero 6sp Man

Ordered a key in August and the dealership still has no idea when it will be in. What a cluster f**k!
Old 21st December 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9≥ 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdTurboX View Post
Ordered a key in August and the dealership still has no idea when it will be in. What a cluster f**k!
Find another dealer, or try Ebay. What type of key do you need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement