T25 Pre-turbo intake piping - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th December 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 96 900SE - Stage 3+, 3" GS v2 DP + more
Garage
Question T25 Pre-turbo intake piping

So, on EricSaabSite (http://www.ericsaabsite.com/Upgrades.../PreTurbo.html) there is instructions on how to make your own less restrictive pre-turbo intake piping. Since I still have the stock T25 turbo, my question revolves around the bottom portion of his pre-turbo piping instruction page where it says:

"The best/easiest solution is to cut the inlet pipe just above the 90 degree bend and attach a larger pipe from there to the air filter. This allows the crank case breather to remain untouched so the only other modification required is to use a blow off valve instead of a bypass valve."

I have the plug for the stock intake piping, so does this just mean cut the stock intake piping after the plug and attach a mandrel bent pipe to my K&N cone filter setup? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2x 1999 saab 9-3se stage 3
Garage

essentially yes, power increase will probably be minimal as you already have a pretty unrestricted intake anyway
Old 6th December 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 turbo s stg 2

I just purchased this from eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507135665...84.m1438.l2649

Plus my cone filter. Should all be here in a few days. Should I cut my intake piping right back so I can use most of the stainless steel tubing.....

Mark.
Old 6th December 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9 'vert

Since there's no restriction in the stock intake until you get over 300HP, you might want to take an easier route.

Cut off the stock snorkle and fit a 3" PVC pipe fitting in its place. Get a 3" air cleaner pipe from some place like Autozone and clamp it to the PVC fitting. Get a V shaped gutter collection fitting and fit it in the other end of the air clear hose. Run it down by the rear headlight area.

Install a K&N filter.

You'll get all the turbo whine you want, and the total cost will be under $20, plus whatever you pay for the K&N.
Old 7th December 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 96 900SE - Stage 3+, 3" GS v2 DP + more
Garage

This is kind of not what I was going after. If you look at my link to ericsaabsite.com, you will see that I'm talking about the flexible rubber hose that goes from the turbo to the air filter. It is not a smooth pipe and is not long enough to take my cone filter to where I want to put it (in the place of the stock airbox) without some sort of bend and reducer. I am just asking what is the diameter of that rubber tubing from the turbo so I can simply get a small mandrel bent pipe to connect from the where the stock rubber hose ends to where my K&N cone filter begins. I will need like a 45 or 60 bend I know, but I just don't know the sizes or the best place to look right now.

Thanks!
Old 7th December 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwentzel View Post
This is kind of not what I was going after. If you look at my link to ericsaabsite.com, you will see that I'm talking about the flexible rubber hose that goes from the turbo to the air filter. It is not a smooth pipe and is not long enough to take my cone filter to where I want to put it (in the place of the stock airbox) without some sort of bend and reducer. I am just asking what is the diameter of that rubber tubing from the turbo so I can simply get a small mandrel bent pipe to connect from the where the stock rubber hose ends to where my K&N cone filter begins. I will need like a 45 or 60 bend I know, but I just don't know the sizes or the best place to look right now.

Thanks!
If you look at the link I posted m8 you'll see that the stainless piping comes apart and has a right angled bent pipe. That is the piece your looking for I think lol. You don't have to use use all the pipe..
Old 7th December 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Conv, 2000 9-3 Conv, 2002 9-3

You will need 2 3/4" pipe to fit in the hose, though I was able to take a 3" mandrel bent piece of exhaust and squeeze it in there.
Old 11th December 2011

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyboy75 View Post
I just purchased this from eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150713566573?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649

Plus my cone filter. Should all be here in a few days. Should I cut my intake piping right back so I can use most of the stainless steel tubing.....

Mark.
Just wanted to add that if you scroll down to the bottom of that ebay page, they have one of those electric superchargers LMAO!!
Old 11th December 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20009-3t View Post
Just wanted to add that if you scroll down to the bottom of that ebay page, they have one of those electric superchargers LMAO!!
what ya tryin to say dude lol. Is that coz I've only got an lpt. Will be ok when I get the HOT conversion done.
Old 11th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1997 saab 900se
Garage

HOT conversion? psh go big or go home. ill sell you the gt4082
900 SEC 2.xT, custom 3inch exhaust, GT35r BB turbo, custom log manifold, tial Q bov, autometer phantom boost,oil,WB, JZW full custom tune, siemen 60# injectors, aeromotive 340 intank, want fried rice?
Old 12th December 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZR Racing View Post
HOT conversion? psh go big or go home. ill sell you the gt4082
I'm not after making my saab into a race car just wanna get it out of lpt mode lol.
Old 14th December 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: The Blue Waffle. MY00 9-5 Aero Stage 3

Mark. I'll say it again. Dead easy. Get 50, give to mapper (I know plenty), mapper gives you stage 2 ecu. Put new Ecu in lpt and leave those shameful days behind you. Enjoy 225 bhp on tap. Now stop being a silly boy and get it done.
Old 14th December 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kenneth Noisewater View Post
Mark. I'll say it again. Dead easy. Get 50, give to mapper (I know plenty), mapper gives you stage 2 ecu. Put new Ecu in lpt and leave those shameful days behind you. Enjoy 225 bhp on tap. Now stop being a silly boy and get it done.
I know Phil. That will be gettin done after crimbo m8. Just wanted to change a few other parts that wouldn't cost a fortune before hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement