Anyone got the H&R lowering springs??? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93SS Arc
Default Anyone got the H&R lowering springs???

what do you think? was it worth it? how is the ride?

those that dont but have thought about it.. any thoughts? How different would this look than the saab sport suspension.. is there really even much difference if these were added?

around 280 doesnt seem TERRIBLE... but its not low by any means. I am an old Jeep guy and do not know much about the such, so any help is appreciated.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.as...t_id=hrsprings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Man i am lookin for somethin to soften the ride. Too stiff!! Not really gonna do that, but u know! 8)
Old 11th February 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Man i am lookin for somethin to soften the ride. Too stiff!! Not really gonna do that, but u know! 8)
How about these?

http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.as...ct_id=bilstein

Ouch at the price!
Old 11th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
How about these?

Ouch at the price!

LOL, seriously. They would be worth it though!!
Old 11th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                

Those Bilstein Sprints will make it more stiff. :wink:
Old 12th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
How about these?

Ouch at the price!
Wowww... $2500 for a set of 4 bilstein struts!?? The PSS system is just about $2300.00 only for some makes! What kind of mark up does genuine SAAB has?
Old 12th February 2004

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Viggen 340hp 400ftlbs :)

OOPS ops: left out the part about "priced per axle pair". I updated the entry. not too much markup... Not available in the USA they come from Europe. We have had great results with the H&R springs on SS.

NCT

Old 12th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab
OOPS ops: left out the part about "priced per axle pair". I updated the entry. not too much markup... Not available in the USA they come from Europe. We have had great results with the H&R springs on SS.

NCT

Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh or cynical, but I was a little shocked at the "price". In any case, $1200.00 for the set is a more reasonable price (still not cheap, but for bilstein's I guess they are about right). Will this Bilstein strut fit my 9-3 SS that came with the factory lowered sport suspension?
Old 12th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

I just went to partsforsaab website and priced out the Bilstein sport shocks for the 9-3 SS and it came out to USD745.00 for the whole set of four dampers (sport dampers). This is direct from partsforsaab.

I am not sure what the duty fees are like for Canada and the US for items coming in from Europe.
Old 16th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

is there anything wrong/weird about getting the lowering springs and nothing else as far as suspension goes.. all stock and just being lowered for the improved handling?? Not sure how the shocks got brought up is why I ask. Do you all reccomend changing both at once for any reason if at all?
Old 16th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

You should always get new shocks if you are installing aftermarket springs. The stock shocks will be toast in 10,000 miles. The stock shocks won't be matched to the aftermarket spring rate.
Old 16th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

I have never changed my shocks on any car every owned in our family.. seems excessive/unnecessary to me because of it I suppose.

I do love my car and want better handling out of it.. but not if its going to cost that much.
Old 16th February 2004
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallipNCSUsaab
I have never changed my shocks on any car every owned in our family.. seems excessive/unnecessary to me because of it I suppose.

I do love my car and want better handling out of it.. but not if its going to cost that much.
It's true that for a typical driver, the shocks found in European cars (like BMW, MB, SAAB, Audi) do not really wear out that rapidly, typically has up to 80000 km life on it. For the non-car buffs, the decrease in performance of the handling from the shocks, will probably not be noticed. But for those who want to have that factory new handling feeling, will most likely change their shocks at least once in the life of the car. The aftermarket shocks like Bilstein or Koni's will last significantly longer than OEM shocks.

As I mentioned, spending USD800.00 on upgrading the factory shocks to topclass shocks like Bilsteins is not unreasonable. You will see a mile of a difference and make you wanna drive your 9-3SS even more. But again, it really depends on whether you can deal with the decrease in handling of the car as the miles rack up on the vehicle.

I am at almost 30000 km now, and in terms of upgrades, I would seriously consider spending the USD800.00 on the Bilstein's if I should noticeably detect a decrease in the dampening performance of the shocks. A sound suspension adds safety and fun factors to the driving of the car, especially when driving on winding roads. On the contrary, You can only go so fast on roads here in North America before the "christmas lights" start lighting up in your rearview mirror. So getting the PPC upgrade is secondary on my priority list of upgrades.
Old 16th February 2004
Saab Crazy

i have put over 13k miles on my springs without upgraded shocks ( Vector) and am still going strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement