Computer Update Question - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th October 2011

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5
Default Computer Update Question

My 04 9-5 ARC has a issue with transmission flare (rpm's increase and transmission doesn't lock up in next gear). I posted and someone mentioned they too had issues on their 04 and when they had the CPU software updated the issue was solved. I called the Saab dealer and inquired about a the most recent CPU software update as it pertains to the transmission and the tech had no idea what I was talking about. He asked if I had a tech or bulletin number. Any ideas how I can proceed to get the issue solved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th October 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 LPT;'00 9-5Aero(MT);'03 9-5 3.0t

It sounds like you're describing transmission slip. When was the last time you changed tranny fluid and how many miles do you have on current fluid? Has your tranny always done this? If not, doesn't really sound ECU-dependent to me...

The wife's '03 V6 was slipping lately, even though the dipstick showed good level and decent color. I did the 1st 3.5 qt flush last night with 3309 fluid, and was surprised how dark it actually was coming out of the bottom. It looked a bit like Willy Wonka's Chocolate River . Anyways, I took it for a spin afterwards and there was NO slip. I plan to do another 3.5 qt change tonight. Good luck.
Old 20th October 2011

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5
Default Trans slip & Fluid change

I have just over 110K. I have only had the car since 104K. I don't know when trans fluid was changed last. Last week I had the sludge service done and the mech found the trans fluid was 1 qrt low but no leaks. He added dexronIII. I then ordered a case of Mobil 3309 and plan on doing the 3 flush change this weekend. Is it possible it is just the fluid and not the cpu? I guess I will find out.... Thanks
Old 20th October 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 LPT;'00 9-5Aero(MT);'03 9-5 3.0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoTap View Post
I have just over 110K. I have only had the car since 104K. I don't know when trans fluid was changed last. Last week I had the sludge service done and the mech found the trans fluid was 1 qrt low but no leaks. He added dexronIII. I then ordered a case of Mobil 3309 and plan on doing the 3 flush change this weekend. Is it possible it is just the fluid and not the cpu? I guess I will find out.... Thanks
WHAT?! Your mechanic added DEXIII??? Yeah, my bet is the fluid!

Check your manual for fluid spec. 99-02 took DEXIII and 03-above take Mobil 3309 (same as Toyota Type IV). You need to flush ASAP with full 3x flush.
Hopefully there's no permanent damage from either low fluid or incorrect fluid, but I think you'll be OK. I would drain the first 3.5 qts tonight if I were you, and wrap up on the weekend. Remember to drive/mix in between so you're not just draining fresh fluid. Keep us posted .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement