15 HP extra - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th October 2011

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 95 se estate
Question 15 HP extra

hi every one

i purchased a 15 HP chip,easy to fit but it says that if pinking occurs use super unleaded,but the owners manual says only use regular unleaded.
question 1 are these chips any good
2 if so can i run the car on super unleaded

regards kev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th October 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

That money would have been better spent on beer.
Old 7th October 2011

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 95

Agreed
Old 7th October 2011

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: Black 04 9-5 ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
That money would have been better spent on beer.
!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9⁵ 5-speed Stg1 207K Miles

Just to be clear, the "chips" you speak of are a total scam and the only HP increases are totally psychological

www.theSAABguy.com
Old 7th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

And tubo cars require super at least... anyway and NEVER USE ANYTHING TAHT WILL MAKE YOUR CAR RUN POORLY< IT WILL KILL YOUR ENIGNE ( pinking "pinging" i fear that's bad and will blow your engine..

Besides 15 Hp is nothing I think you can get that with premium regardless and not worth destrying your engine
Old 8th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post
And tubo cars require super at least... anyway and NEVER USE ANYTHING TAHT WILL MAKE YOUR CAR RUN POORLY< IT WILL KILL YOUR ENIGNE ( pinking "pinging" i fear that's bad and will blow your engine..

Besides 15 Hp is nothing I think you can get that with premium regardless and not worth destrying your engine

"tubo cars require super at least" is not a true statement.

Check the Saab owners manual ... the highest octane is prefered, but not required. Granted, with lower octane you get less power and your fuel economy drops, but you can do it without hurting the engine. The Saab Trionic system is smart enough to make adjustments to the engine, timing, boost depending on the grade of fuel.

Now, having said all of that, I have found that you get the extra cost of higher grade fuel back in economy, so in that case, it makes no sense to use anything less than the best.
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 8th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9⁵ Aero "Griffin" JZW⁵
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post

Check the Saab owners manual ... the highest octane is prefered, but not required. Granted, with lower octane you get less power and your fuel economy drops, but you can do it without hurting the engine. The Saab Trionic system is smart enough to make adjustments to the engine, timing, boost depending on the grade of fuel.

Now, having said all of that, I have found that you get the extra cost of higher grade fuel back in economy, so in that case, it makes no sense to use anything less than the best.
If you really look at it, it is usually $.10 difference between premium and mid-grade, and $.10 difference between mid and low-grade. Even if you put in low grade to "save" the $.20, average 16 gallons, it is only "saving" roughly $3 or $4 on a fill. With the potential fuel economy loss and possible trouble (like pinging), it would cost more to put in an octane boost, etc. than to just bone up and buy premium all the time.

I agree with Jssaab on this one - a turbocharged car, which you want to be at best performance, should run on nothing but premium. Otherwise, why are you driving the car? It's like people who buy a million dollar house but say they cannot afford (or don't want to pay) the $500 a month to heat it.

Old 8th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post

Sure you can put garbage fuel in but you need to be dang sure that the rest of the car is up to snuff, if you have a bad 02 sensor or faulty amm and put in the low grade or cheaper gas the tollerances of T7 to adjust get limited and you can get knock.. might as well be sure just in case and i have seen very few T7 cars with eveything perfectly spec'd...
Old 8th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarelibra View Post
If you really look at it, it is usually $.10 difference between premium and mid-grade, and $.10 difference between mid and low-grade. Even if you put in low grade to "save" the $.20, average 16 gallons, it is only "saving" roughly $3 or $4 on a fill. With the potential fuel economy loss and possible trouble (like pinging), it would cost more to put in an octane boost, etc. than to just bone up and buy premium all the time.

I agree with Jssaab on this one - a turbocharged car, which you want to be at best performance, should run on nothing but premium. Otherwise, why are you driving the car? It's like people who buy a million dollar house but say they cannot afford (or don't want to pay) the $500 a month to heat it.

You didn't read what I said.

I said the car was designed and can run on whatever you want to use.

I also said, with the increase in fuel economy you get from the higher octane, it pays for itself.

The challenge becomes only when gas gets cheaper, the ratio changes. As long as gas it high (like it is now) it makes sense.

Of course, I also said, I only use premium fuel, period. One of the reasons is safety/power. With the best fuel, I get the best performance ... when I need it, I have it.
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 8th October 2011
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero

lol post a pic of this chip plzz
Old 10th October 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: "Freja"- '03 9-5 V6 Arc by Rabbit

Part of me feels bad for laughing so hard and the other part of me can't believe people really do buy these things.

Kev999, PLEASE do the research before doing anything .....else.... to your car. You'll save yourself a lot of pain and money.

and btw, I vote beer.
Old 10th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9⁵ Aero "Griffin" JZW⁵
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky's 9-5 3t View Post
Part of me feels bad for laughing so hard and the other part of me can't believe people really do buy these things.

Kev999, PLEASE do the research before doing anything .....else.... to your car. You'll save yourself a lot of pain and money.

and btw, I vote beer.
Hey Kev999 - there is an informercial I saw about a turbo spool you can install in your tail pipe. It adds some 10 HP with little effort

(snicker)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement