2003 saab 9-3 double din install - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd October 2011

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: none
Default 2003 saab 9-3 double din install

From my research no one has replaced the radio in one of these because of the fiber optic system. Wasnt to bad just had to do some cutting in the dash to put in the double din and leave factory radio guts in so the car would start and everything work properly. Single din would have been a piece of cake.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd October 2011

Just simple amp mounts in side pockets

Wish the guy would have paid the extra to have me finish and paint the rest of the dash bezel to get roe of the coating that is pealing off. also wish i would have wiped off the finger marks before snapping dash pics lol.

Old 2nd October 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saabless

WOW Great job! Looks like A LOT of work and props to you for doing it. The pre 07 9-3's make it so much harder to do a swap that's why I went with the 07 vs an 06 that had less miles.

I didn't have the cojones to even attempt such a job, nor did I want to sacrifice much of the standard features (although my steering wheel controls dont work with my setup-I guess with saabs you have to make some sacrifice)...Again great job!
Old 2nd October 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9 Arc 2.0T 6-Speed

Nice. And just for the record it has been done before. Your work def looks clean though! Probably the cleanest I've ever seen it done. Where exactly are you located in Northeast Ohio? Are you a shop?

In my car I actually mounted mine down where the factory CD changer / ash tray went. And since I was able to leave my factory tuner in the car, I actually am just running it through my factory AUX input. So I didn't have to run any new amps or anything and the volume on my steering wheel controls still works.

The only downside of running it through the AUX like I am, is that every time I get into the car I have to switch the input back to AUX because for some reason these cars go back to the radio/cd player when the car is shut off. A minor thing though to save me a ton of money/work.
Thule/Saab Roof Rack / 08+ Ice Tail Lights / A'PEXi Twin Chamber Blow Off Valve ///
Old 2nd October 2011

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

When are you making these to sell???
Old 2nd October 2011

Thanks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeysteg View Post
When are you making these to sell???
If anyone wants to ship me there factory radio i can make the panels and ship it back.For this one i used the factory face but i could always pull a fiberglass mold and make this one without taking apart the factory radio Single din would make it so you could keep your air vents also. Im located between canton and akron ohio. I have a day job in a shop but do custom work at home. couple other projects im currently working on.

Wrx min space sub box

Dakota under seat box and amp rack

g35 trunk

12 tens in trailblazer
Old 3rd October 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 SC Aero '08 9-3 SS Aero AWD

Um, what did you do about the center dash airvents?
Old 3rd October 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9 Arc 2.0T 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN View Post
Um, what did you do about the center dash airvents?
He blocked them? lol

Yea that would suck to not have those...
Thule/Saab Roof Rack / 08+ Ice Tail Lights / A'PEXi Twin Chamber Blow Off Valve ///
Old 3rd October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfunaki View Post
He blocked them? lol

Yea that would suck to not have those...
Had to cut them back and seal them up for the double din to fit. Thats one of the reasons i recommend using a single din or single din flip out. if anyone has a junk radio laying around i would be interested in it to make a single din kit and possibly start making them if anyone is interested.
Old 1st February 2013

Join Date: Jan 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear SS

It's been a while since this post, but ahfunaki, do you have any interior pics of this install on here? I would like to attempt a similar install, I don't like the thought of touching the fiber optic system at all. And, you take pride in your vehicle, so I know it looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfunaki View Post
Nice. And just for the record it has been done before. Your work def looks clean though! Probably the cleanest I've ever seen it done. Where exactly are you located in Northeast Ohio? Are you a shop?

In my car I actually mounted mine down where the factory CD changer / ash tray went. And since I was able to leave my factory tuner in the car, I actually am just running it through my factory AUX input. So I didn't have to run any new amps or anything and the volume on my steering wheel controls still works.

The only downside of running it through the AUX like I am, is that every time I get into the car I have to switch the input back to AUX because for some reason these cars go back to the radio/cd player when the car is shut off. A minor thing though to save me a ton of money/work.
Old 27th March 2013

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0T

What of the stock unit do you have to leave in? and how do you wire it up if the stock unit is still wired up? That sounds like one of the dumbest decisions a car company has ever made. I wish everything wasn't so much harder to do on a saab. I love my 9-3 but its overwhelming at times.

Anyway, it looks nice, but I want to do this a put it lower so I don't have to cut off the vents.
Old 31st March 2013

Join Date: Jan 2013                                                
My Saabs: 99 saab 9-3, 2003 saab 9-3 linear
Garage
Default head unit

i have a clarion single din head unit. i would like to install it in my 2003 saab 9-3 linear. what tips can u give me. u also can facebook me. my handle is shinrado man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement