Rough idle when engine is cold - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st October 2011

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 93 se
Default Rough idle when engine is cold

I have a 2001 93 se that when it first starts, it runs good for maybe 5-10 sec. then it runs rough at idle. without me touching the gas pedal, it will lower rpm the surge up in rpm ( 975-1300 ish) it will do this for awhile, and might even stall. once the car is warmed up it will idle and run nice. If I try to put the car in gear cold it stalls or I have to manage to manage the gas pedal and still might stall. Anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd October 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 2.3l 00 9-5 3.0, 88 900 2dr 2l

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt912 View Post
I have a 2001 93 se that when it first starts, it runs good for maybe 5-10 sec. then it runs rough at idle. without me touching the gas pedal, it will lower rpm the surge up in rpm ( 975-1300 ish) it will do this for awhile, and might even stall. once the car is warmed up it will idle and run nice. If I try to put the car in gear cold it stalls or I have to manage to manage the gas pedal and still might stall. Anyone have any thoughts?
it sounds like it might be one of the sensors, when you start it the control module does not pick the signal up, after 5-10 seconds it gets some bad info from something and adjusts the idle.
Do you have a check engine light on?
and how cold? (got cold here last night, almost went into the upper 60s F)
1973 Sonett Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by srmoose; 2nd October 2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 2nd October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmoose View Post
(got cold here last night, almost went into the upper 60s F)
I think you need a smily there for that statement.
Old 2nd October 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 2.3l 00 9-5 3.0, 88 900 2dr 2l

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaabit View Post
I think you need a smily there for that statement.
there I put one in, but seriously I had to shut off the AC!
1973 Sonett Gone but not forgotten
Old 2nd October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmoose View Post
there I put one in, but seriously I had to shut off the AC!

Wow, I feel for you man.
Old 6th October 2011

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 93 se

Thanks srmoose, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was out of town. No check engine light. I have a cheap scan tool. It shows the The air temp at 61 when cold and a couple degrees warmer when warm, and the coolant 61 when cold, and went up to about 151 when I turned the car off. the outside temp was around 61. is their any other sensors I should look at. Thanks again,
Old 10th October 2011

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: '01 Viggen

I'd like to bring this back to the top. My 2001 9-3 Viggen started doing this as well; although I have a check engine light on, as well as the inability to control TCS, which defaulted to off.
There is a small electronic box on the back of the engine around the intake area that clicks for a while then stops when the car first starts. I haven't read the code yet, but plan on it shortly. Any thoughts?
Old 10th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I'd like to bring this back to the top. My 2001 9-3 Viggen started doing this as well; although I have a check engine light on, as well as the inability to control TCS, which defaulted to off.
There is a small electronic box on the back of the engine around the intake area that clicks for a while then stops when the car first starts. I haven't read the code yet, but plan on it shortly. Any thoughts?

My thought is: READ THE CODE.

Until then you're shooting in the dark.
Old 12th October 2011

Alright, it's throwing P1230, which is a fuel air metering issue. This is what I suspected, and doesn't particularly help me at the moment. Anyone with more Saab experience know what to do here?
Old 12th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Alright, it's throwing P1230, which is a fuel air metering issue. This is what I suspected, and doesn't particularly help me at the moment. Anyone with more Saab experience know what to do here?
That code appears to be a throttle body issue, a known failure point on these cars. It can also be caused by a wiring issue with a TB sensor.

Are you in limp home mode by any chance? That would cause issues. You may need a TB.
Old 28th October 2011

Well I put on a new TB and the issue seemed to go away for a bit. However, it has come back. Could this be turning into an MAF as well? DIC, even? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.
Old 28th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Well I put on a new TB and the issue seemed to go away for a bit. However, it has come back. Could this be turning into an MAF as well? DIC, even? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.
Is that a new TB or a rebuilt? There is a possibility of a defect. However, I'd be more likely to think that you reset it and it just took some time to happen again (or happen enough that the ECU set the CEL).

If it was your DIC, I would think you'd have misfire or camshaft position codes, not the code you're getting.

Someone else will have to address the MAF as it's not really my area of expertise (yet... always "yet" with a Saab :-) . We'll need someone else to chime in on that and other possibilities.
Old 28th October 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2002 SE Vert

I'm in on this problem also, I have another thread on it.
However, I got to say now that it is actually cold and not chilly the problem seems to have vanished.
Ghost in the machine.
I got a P0300 code, cleared it and never came back.
Old 28th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

Unplug the maf, drive it and that will tell you if it's the maf or not, but I doubt it is. When you replaced the TB, did you remove the code using a code reader and did you reset limp mode? If you did not do this correctly it will go back into limp mode.
If your car does not have the ECU firmware load that fixes false alarms about the TB, you need to get it updated. In some cases, new firmware, clear codes and reset the TB solenoid is all that is required. The ECU will trip the TB solenoid.
You also need to check the wiring and connectors near the TB. Open up the connector and look for signs of contamination.
I read this on another site where a few people have gotten this code, replaced the TB and a week later the code is back. A Saab tech posted about the above firmware upgrade.
Old 28th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Unplug the maf, drive it and that will tell you if it's the maf or not, but I doubt it is. When you replaced the TB, did you remove the code using a code reader and did you reset limp mode? If you did not do this correctly it will go back into limp mode.
If your car does not have the ECU firmware load that fixes false alarms about the TB, you need to get it updated. In some cases, new firmware, clear codes and reset the TB solenoid is all that is required. The ECU will trip the TB solenoid.
You also need to check the wiring and connectors near the TB. Open up the connector and look for signs of contamination.
I read this on another site where a few people have gotten this code, replaced the TB and a week later the code is back. A Saab tech posted about the above firmware upgrade.
Thanks, lms, I'll look into that.
Old 28th October 2011
Saab on the Brain!

The firmware upgrade can't hurt, but it might not help.

What was happening is that as TB's got a little worn, they started to throw codes. Saab claims that the parameters for the TB were set too tight, so they issued that firmware upgrade to "fix" them. There's some debate whether they really thought the new parameters were correct for the engine, or whether they just wanted to avoid the cost of replacing thousands of TB's.

Some cars will stop throwing codes after the upgrade because the limits are looser. Some will still throw code because the TB is past the new limits. A Saab (dealer) tech I talked to said that while the upgrade sometimes fixes them without replacing the TB, every car he saw with the problem eventually came back for the TB replacement.
Old 28th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

^^^ It's worth a shot, and I have read that it has fixed a few cars where people have replaced the TB due to that code, only for that code to rear it's ugly head once again.
Some people also think that if they disconnect the battery for a period time that this will clear all codes. Yes it will clear most, but it will not clear the fault code in regards to cars going into limp mode.
Old 30th December 2011

Alright, sorry to bring this back up, but I'm getting the same general codes again. P1251, P1010, P0507 (It alternates between these, pretty consistent with P1251, though). I'm pretty confused, I'll clear the codes and could drive for days or hours and the lights pop back on.
The most interesting thing I've noticed is that the throttle pedal feels a bit 'sticky' while driving, yet doesn't at all once the lights come on. Insight would be great, I'm super sick of looking at that orange glow on the dash.
Old 30th December 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: .

I did some digging, here's some copy and paste stuff:

P1251 is Throttlebody unable to close full. Limphome mode possible. Clean TB.

P1010 can be caused by a blocked air filter or air leaks. I have seen the long black pipe that goes from round the back of the black cover to the turbo crack and let in air.

This P0507 code is one that's sometimes triggered on vehicles that have electronic throttle control. That is, they don't have a regular throttle cable from the accelerator pedal to the engine. They rely on sensors and electronics to control the throttle. In this case, the P0507 DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is triggered when the PCM (powertrain control module) detects an engine idle speed that is greater than the desired (pre-programmed) RPM. In the case of GM vehicles (and possibly others) if the idle speed is over 200 rpm higher than expected, this code will be set.

------------------------
1st thing I'd do is check that the TB butterfly plate isn't damaged or sticking. If it's sticking, a good carb cleaner should help. I'd remove the TB, spray liberally. It's possible that it was sticking, then the ECM tried adjusting it while stuck, then it surged and threw a high idle and popped a code. Check the air filter. If the filter is new, check for obstructions in the intake somewhere. Maybe a mouse made a nest where it shouldn't of. I've seen birds get into tailpipes and nest and the nesting actually wouldn't blow out.

Last edited by Pontius DIO; 30th December 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement