Programming a key fob - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd September 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 Viggen
Default Programming a key fob

I know this question has been asked to death, but using the search function on this site doesnt show me what Im looking for. I got a used key+fob off ebay for $30. It has an already cut key but, all I want is the internals. I realize it is already programmed for another car. The original key for the car that I have does work, but the fob is dead. Which is why I bought this used one off ebay duh. My question is can I just take this new fob to the dealership and have them program it for my car? Or do I have to have an already existing key fob that works? I read somewhere that you must have a key already programmed to the car to start the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd September 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by net48734 View Post
I know this question has been asked to death, but using the search function on this site doesnt show me what Im looking for. I got a used key+fob off ebay for $30. It has an already cut key but, all I want is the internals. I realize it is already programmed for another car. The original key for the car that I have does work, but the fob is dead. Which is why I bought this used one off ebay duh. My question is can I just take this new fob to the dealership and have them program it for my car? Or do I have to have an already existing key fob that works? I read somewhere that you must have a key already programmed to the car to start the process?
I think you're OK... the issue is that you need to be able to start the car and run it. The Tech II should then be able to add or remove remotes. Problems arise when you have no way to unlock the system (locked it and lost the remote. Then you're hosed).
Old 23rd September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 V6 SE, 99 S Coupe, 01 SE Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by net48734 View Post
My question is can I just take this new fob to the dealership and have them program it for my car? Or do I have to have an already existing key fob that works? I read somewhere that you must have a key already programmed to the car to start the process?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaabit View Post
I think you're OK... the issue is that you need to be able to start the car and run it. The Tech II should then be able to add or remove remotes. Problems arise when you have no way to unlock the system (locked it and lost the remote. Then you're hosed).
Just what BobSaabit says, as long as you've got at least one working key, you can program in a total of 4 keys and remotes to the TWICE.

I'm not sure if you can go the other way, program in a new key if you've only got a working remote. You can use a remote to bypass a dead key to start the car so I suspect it might be possible to initiate programming the TWICE with just a remote but I've never tried it.
Old 23rd September 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 Viggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaabit View Post

Well, I have a key for the car that works. Its just the buttons dont work. (Its an all in one key shaft attached to the actual fob transmitter)

Bottom line, I just want to be able to take this fob I bought off ebay to the dealer and have them program it to my car. Then basically take the internals out of it and put it in the key I have that has the bad internals. Im just wondering if anyone has ever done this. The response I get from the small dealership near me is that it cant be done????

Last edited by net48734; 23rd September 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 24th September 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

It sounds like they just want you to buy a new key fob from them ($$$) and then have them have them program it. Hopefully new fobs for your car are still available, because the have almost run out for the newer cars... Ron
Old 24th September 2011
Saab on the Brain!

It can be done. Just swap the remote internals. You can't swap the transponder (the part that makes the key work) but you can swap the remote internals. Then take it to them - or someone with a clue - and have them program the remote.

You may want to read the key FAQ by Larry West: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/keyfaq.pdf
Old 5th December 2013

Join Date: Oct 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2005 SAAB 9-3 Linear

Sorry I'm probably in the wrong forum, but I hope someone can help me figure this out. We have 2 keys for our 2005 9-3. One that will start the car but lost a little electric part inside the fob to lock/unlock the doors. The second key displays the message Key Not Accepted but locks and unlocks the car just fine. We took both keys to the dealership, buddy tried to re-program the second key with his Tech-2 but he only managed to completely disable the second key (and charged us for it!). I read somewhere that we can re-synchronize the remote to the car by hitting the unlock button 4 times but that will only address the remote issue, not starting the car. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm afraid to disconnect the battery, I don't want to cause any more damage.

Last edited by Patflat71; 5th December 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 5th December 2013
Saab on the Brain!

You need the 9-3 SS forum. There are differences in the security system.

However, there is one truth that remains: You cannot make a remote work with the car if it has not been programmed in with a Tech II. The "press the button 4 times" option is used when you change the batteries in a remote and need to re-sync it with the car. The car still has the remote's unique ID stored internally, you are just syncing it back up again.

My guess is that you need to get another key for your car and visit a dealer or indy with a Tech II who can add them all to the car. You need all devices present to program them.

If that second remote was damaged in some way, it's likely the tech could not get the car to recognize it when he redid the programming. The process removes all remotes, then they add them back in one by one, so if one is damaged, it does not get back in. It is a little unfriendly to charge you, although it wasn't actually his fault and he did do the work you asked for - your equipment was defective.
Old 5th December 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Conv, 2000 9-3 Conv, 2002 9-3

I also thought the 9-3SS keys/remotes couldn't be paired more than once, i.e. if you buy a used one it is only good for parts not to be used as a replacement.
Old 5th December 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
I also thought the 9-3SS keys/remotes couldn't be paired more than once, i.e. if you buy a used one it is only good for parts not to be used as a replacement.
I have heard that too but I don't know the details. But, you would assume that one that was already working with the car could be re-programmed to work with it again.

EDIT: "the ECU could be re-programmed to recognize it again".

Best to check with the 9-3SS forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement