Aftermarket Stereo Install - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th September 2011

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Saloon
Default Aftermarket Stereo Install

Quick search on google shows that this has been talked about alot, however, I couldn't find the answer to this question, so forgive me if its been covered time and time again.

Its on a mates car (9-3 Vector i believe, although my parents also have a 9-3 Aero TTID, so may be asking more questions if they have any), and is looking at installing the headunit he had in his Mini (Rover not BMW) and after getting the single DIN convertor, the cubby hole, he went to get the ISO cable. The description said for a non-amplified system, and as far as he could tell he couldn't find an Amp. However after connecting everything up, the unit wouldn't power on, and he says that the pins appear different (from what i could tell, I think he means that for example there is a wire on the male side which has no corresponding wire on the female side)

Any help on this?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady

Welcome to SC..

what year is his car?

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..
Old 20th September 2011

Sorry thought I had put it, his is 2008
Old 20th September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY08 9-3 Aero 2.0T Convertible

even with a wiring harness, he will still need to find an ignition controlled source of power to connect to the aftermarket headunit. None of the available Saab-ISO harness' will supply this as the Saab headunit doesn't use an igniton controlled power source to begin with.

The best place to get an ignition controlled source is the telephone connector usually sited behind the centre console on the passenger side.

See my thread Kenwood DNX5220 multimedia satnav for more info and pictures. There are also plenty of other threads on aftermarket installs in post 2007 cars too, if you can't find what you need in my thread.
2007 93convertible MY08 - bought 2010 2.5yrs old
Old 20th September 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saabless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedol View Post
even with a wiring harness, he will still need to find an ignition controlled source of power to connect to the aftermarket headunit. None of the available Saab-ISO harness' will supply this as the Saab headunit doesn't use an igniton controlled power source to begin with.

The best place to get an ignition controlled source is the telephone connector usually sited behind the centre console on the passenger side.

See my thread Kenwood DNX5220 multimedia satnav for more info and pictures. There are also plenty of other threads on aftermarket installs in post 2007 cars too, if you can't find what you need in my thread.
Yes Totally agree with using the bluetooth module...Also beware of the CANBUS module that comes with the harness. They are prone to fail and cause intermittent power probs thus I used Stevedol's method and it works like a charm...only car has to be on "On" to turn on stereo which in my case means having the headlights on...I am worknig on trying to find a dealer or indy to turn off my DRL's.
Old 21st September 2011

cheers, will give it go, will let ya know how it goes, lol
Old 21st September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T, BSR Stage 3, Polar White
Garage

Quote:

Are you sure about that? I just hooked up the connector and it worked...
Old 21st September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY08 9-3 Aero 2.0T Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
Are you sure about that? I just hooked up the connector and it worked...
None of the harness' I've seen provide an ignition switched source, with the exception of some of those that also contain a steering wheel controls interface.
2007 93convertible MY08 - bought 2010 2.5yrs old
Old 21st September 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saabless

Quote:
None of the harness' I've seen provide an ignition switched source, with the exception of some of those that also contain a steering wheel controls interface.
Mine had a switch on the CANBUS but it was the cause of problems of intermittent power on issues so I ditched the CANBUS and SWC (SWC didnt work anyway with my model stereo) in favor of having my stereo turn on when i want it to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement