Radiator fan help needed... 01 9-3 2L - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th September 2011

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 SE
Default Radiator fan help needed... 01 9-3 2L

I got a foreign object in my fan shroud and it ended up breaking the fan blade and putting a hole in the radiator. I found a used fan and radiator which I purchased from an individual far away in the dark of the night.

When I started working on putting the 9-3 back together I find that the used fan that I purchased had a wiring problem and the wiring to the motor is fried.

So I have a good motor with a bad fan on it and a bad motor with a good fan on it.

See pictures below of the bad fan with the good motor and how the fan is attached (apparently) to the shaft of the motor. Question is... how to take the fan blades off the motor for a swap. A few taps on the double slotted deal around the shaft did not show any result and before I did damage I was hopeing someone on here could give me some guidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110906_223202.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	25312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110906_223157.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	25313  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th September 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Conv, 2000 9-3 Conv, 2002 9-3

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know of the CFM rating of the OEM (especially on high)? While working on the IC/intake system, I removed the fan and it really is a pain to take in and out, a low profile one would definitely free up some room in there (would be nice to not even have to remove it, or at least not have to work around power steering lines, etc).
Old 7th September 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 2.3l 00 9-5 3.0, 88 900 2dr 2l

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogman View Post
I got a foreign object in my fan shroud and it ended up breaking the fan blade and putting a hole in the radiator. I found a used fan and radiator which I purchased from an individual far away in the dark of the night.

When I started working on putting the 9-3 back together I find that the used fan that I purchased had a wiring problem and the wiring to the motor is fried.

So I have a good motor with a bad fan on it and a bad motor with a good fan on it.

See pictures below of the bad fan with the good motor and how the fan is attached (apparently) to the shaft of the motor. Question is... how to take the fan blades off the motor for a swap. A few taps on the double slotted deal around the shaft did not show any result and before I did damage I was hopeing someone on here could give me some guidence.
it might be reverse threaded so the fan does not fly off. but I am unsure.
it may have allen screw on side. I checked the WIS and it did not say
good luck
1973 Sonett Gone but not forgotten
Old 7th September 2011

Anybody ever take this fan off the motor? I really need some guidence. I am in the process of putting the car back together and at this point don't have a fan to put in. I may assemble and get the car on the road without a fan... it has cooled off a lot in the past week. Not ideal so I need any ideas that can be provided.
Old 8th September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                

I just threw one out about a month ago...I would have just given you the fan as the resistor is what went bad.

2000 Viggen

1993 Mazda RX-7 "It ain't stock"

I live in a high test world...
Old 8th September 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 2.3l 00 9-5 3.0, 88 900 2dr 2l

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogman View Post
Anybody ever take this fan off the motor? I really need some guidence. I am in the process of putting the car back together and at this point don't have a fan to put in. I may assemble and get the car on the road without a fan... it has cooled off a lot in the past week. Not ideal so I need any ideas that can be provided.
sorry I asked my indy when I saw one sitting around yesterday and he said they did not come off. however since they were assembled I can only think that they can be disassembled, but any fan is better than none (anything that fits)
1973 Sonett Gone but not forgotten
Old 8th September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 V6 SE, 99 S Coupe, 01 SE Vert

Think the quickest option is to simply try and carve the opposite blade on the damaged fan to match. Using a template of the broken blade, trim it's opposite to match. That would keep the balance (mostly) intact and get the fan back to cooling the radiator. -- not really an ideal option, but would get the car back on the road.

The better answer is to get destructive on the broken blade and carefully cut it away from the motor. That should reveal it's attachment methodology and get you started on removing the intact blade from the duff motor.

That center white "star" along with the slotted center of the motor shaft both suggest there should be a way to disassemble the thing. Almost looks like that star is a lock of some kind to prevent the blade from spinning off the motor.
Old 8th September 2011
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Do know the direction of the fan blades...
This is one clever design, its impossible for the fan itself to loosen...It was assembled, it had to be.... so I think it can be disassembled.
That special lock device may have to be destroyed...
Use the special Saab tool which may be listed in the WIS, if not, make one ( a special spanner ).
This is a lot of trouble, most would just replace the entire assembly with a used one ,of course.
And its best to "rebuild" the resistor unit - this is what normally goes south..
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 8th September 2011

So the car is on the road again with a good rediator but without a fan. I drove about 50 miles after completing the assembly and the temperature stayed right where it usually is in the mid range - how ever it was a coolish mid 60s today. It should get me by for a few days until I figure out the fan deal or find another.

I may try something like the suggestion by win_k ... rebuild the broken blade and rebalance. TBD. I would prefer to figure out the removal of the fan from the shaft of the motor and remount the good one but... I need to fins some more time to futz around with it.

Thanks for the inputs and if you have a chance to ask around I am still looking of additional insight to this problem.
Old 10th September 2011

Back to the project after a brief interlude...

Anybody out there know how to take the fan off the motor shaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement