Gearbox Malfunction message on SID - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear
Default Gearbox Malfunction message on SID

As the title states- what could this mean and should I be worried. I turned the car off and back on multiple times to see if the message would go away, but no luck. I took a picture of the message with my phone incasr you all haven't seen the message before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th September 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 Saab 9-3 2.0t

Tech2 scan will answer your question.
I had the message once and it scared the c*** out of me
but turned out to be a short in the shifter which went away by itself.

I would probably disconnect the battery and drive around and if it still shows
up, have it scanned with Tech2
Old 6th September 2011

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3 arc midnight blue
Garage

Could be a number of things, but for me this was bad news. I had to replace the transmission.
Get the code read and it will specify what exactly you've got going on. Good luck!
Old 6th September 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Could be simple,could be catastrophic.... the Code is the Key.
Old 6th September 2011

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector Limited Edition
Default Alternator

When this happen to me its was my alternator going bad, but of course the battery drained also and the car wouldn't start
Old 6th September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Hopefully I can get it checked out soon. I'm about two hours away from home for school and I don't think that there are any Saab dealerships up here, but I know there is one back home. I haven't even found any garages here yet. I just got a CEL today and don't know what it's from so I'm going to go to advanced auto to borrow the code reader to see if that code is strange and something besides a vac leak. The car seems to drive fine and shift properly, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I can't have another saab-story on my hands...
Old 6th September 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Get the costs read at any auto parts store. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for about five minutes and see if things normal up. Have you been getting any other electrical glitches...like doors not opening, multiple warning lights on occasion would are predecessors of a failing battery?
Old 6th September 2011
Saab Lunatic

The battery isn't too old. Probably about a year now at this point. I have been occassionally getting stability/traction control failure messages. Rarely will ABS lights come one. My driver door won't lock/unlock sometimes but I'm pretty sure that's an actuator problem. I can go have the battery tested and what not. I think I may have found a shop where I am that specializes in euro products. Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 7th September 2011

My Saabs: Silver '04 Saab 9-3t

Like everyone said the code will tell the story. imo dont disconnect the battery, get the code read first than clear it. You DO NOT need a tech2 to read codes, maybe it can read some that normal reader cannot. Just stop at a parts store and have it read. Mine did that before and went away shortly. Almost a year later it happened and went into limp mode and stuck in 5th gear. Input speed sonsor went out, due to faulty o-ring in the radiator. A very common thing in 03-04's. good luck
Old 3rd October 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3, BSR Stg 1, Optiflow, FSDs
Garage

I am very interested to hear back on what you find. That same message popped up yesterday on my car. I pulled it into the garage, where it will sit until I can go get the code read this weekend. I am hopeful that it is only the sensors or software. I'll report back as well when I know.
Old 5th October 2011

Default New Tranny it is!

After the car sat in the garage for about 3 weeks, I decided to make sure the code was the same as the last time--which indicated I needed a new input speed sensor (replaced that)... I made it to the parts store 3-4 miles..much to my surprise, it was a different code- P1743, Continuous Variable Transmission Clutch System Fail...then I was going to limp it home, made it about a mile and then the tranny started slipping, free revving and wouldn't make it up the hill. I coasted backwards onto a side street, called Saab and had it towed. A few days later, Saab informed me that I needed a new tranny. This all resulted in a $2,600 bill...and the car stayed at Saab for 2 weeks. I swear...this car better be done giving me trouble. We believe that this is all attributed to the faulty O-ring that allows coolant into the tranny, but Saab retracted the TSB about that issue and admits no fault.
Old 17th October 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3, BSR Stg 1, Optiflow, FSDs
Garage

So after letting it sit for a week in the garage, I went out yesterday to get the code read at the local parts store. I started the car... got the message. Then I realized I should look in the coolant tank to see if anything seemed awry... turned off the car, looked in the tank... nothing. Started the car back up and NO MESSAGE. Car drives and shifts just fine. Took it to get checked out anyway... no codes stored in the Tech II. Makes me a bit nervous though.
Anyone who had the message disappear and then suddenly get slapped with catastrophic failure?
Anyone who's message disappeared still driving along with no issues?
Should I get the shop to check out my tranny fluid while they change my oil?
Old 17th October 2011

I had the code a year ago and it went away for the entire year and came back. More than likely the Saab dealer is going to tell you that regardless of the TSB's there is no reason to suspect catastrophic failure and coolant in your tranny...even tho there are SEVERAL accounts on forums. They could care less about the forums..they think we are all idiots. Good luck trying to get them to check your fluid..most they will do is look at it..they will not do a test on it or anything. I tried that multiple times. They dicked around until the tranny did go and then I finally got it replaced. I concluded my vin number was one included in the range with the o-ring issue..perhaps you should check into that. If you have access to ALL DATA you can find the vin range. Next time, if you don't have a SID message or a CEL, don't bother taking it in for a Tech II reading as nothing should come up. You need the light to be on to pull a code. I know how you feel...like you are waiting for the other foot to drop. I got lucky that I purchased an aftermarket warranty, but if you add up all the deductibles on the random bs probs this car has given me, I've spent waaaay too much. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement