Any 9-5 owners running a GT35R or BIG Holset Turbo?? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st August 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: JZW Stage 1 9-3 2.8v6 Aero
Default Any 9-5 owners running a GT35R or BIG Holset Turbo??

Just thought I'd pop in from the 9k section Bit of a long post but I need advice on a BIG turbo for a 9-5 Aero!!

I'm seriously thinking of changing my 9000 Aero late next year and going back to a 9-5 for a few years. Was thinking about going for a 2003/04 facelift as I love the front end on it with the updated grill...but am now edging more towards the 260 bhp 'Dame Edna' 9-5 Aero instead as I prefer the newer style interior and fancy something modern after 2.5 years with the 9k.

So get the car in late 2012 and start tuning it 2013...

Plans for this one are a bit different from the 9k ...I'd like to go slightly bigger this time tbh, but do it as a oner instead of how I did the 9k where I've taken it through the various stages/turbo's to its current stage 6 with the GT30 and spend god knows how many thousand changing my mind before settling on a GT30. Got used to it now and I can't see me being happy with a smaller one Also thinking about saving a heap of cash by going big straight off and just get it done!!

Power wise I'd want a bit more than I've currently got on the 9k so I'd like a fair bit over 500bhp next time but realistically closer to 600 as it'll be the last properly powerful car I have for a while. So was thinking about a GT35R or one of the larger Holset's (which one i haven't a clue!!) I guess these will need an external WG so will be getting a tubular for it and get all the exhaust side done the same time. I'll be breaking my 9k and using whatever parts I can on the 9-5 then sell the rest on to fund the new car. Got to break it as I'll get nothing for it really if I sell it complete Was also thinking about getting some mad cams this time!! I've got slightly larger ones on the 9k from Abbott Racing but nothing lairy so want to try bigger ones out.

I know a few guys run with the 9000's bottom end...is this good enough for close to 600bhp or do I need to upgrade the internals? Or better to keep the 9-5 engine complete and upgrade that instead?

T7 head...I've heard its a bit less restrictive than the T5 head but will it still need to be gasflowed or modified in anyway for the bigger numbers?

Clutch & Gearbox....whats the best route to go here, Maptuns 6 speeder is a defo no go simply due to price of the thing!!! so is there a strong alternative from say Vauxhall that'll fit ok? Clutch I'd like to keep with an oem type feel (same as this Sachs uprated one on my 9k) so no paddle type clutches ....whats available/recommended?

Injectors ...could I re-use my 630's or should I be looking at other ones?

Loads more questions/advice I need but that'll do for now & plenty of time to get it all!! Just trying to think/work out what I'd need so I can basically put all the parts in the boot drop both cars off at the garage and have it all bolted up & working!!

Thanks in advance, Dave.
Advertisement

Old 1st September 2011

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Aero.

There is this one :-

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ferrerid=15961

Good place to start, I'm sure other will chime in with more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1st September 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Yes you will need to install new pistions or build a 234/235 hybird. I have a hybrid but am running a big T28.

BIgger turbos are a tight fit, you will need a header to move the tubo back and get it away from the ac bracket and the bump out on the block where it attaches.

You can get about 450 WHP and if tuned properly the trans can handle it ok...
Old 1st September 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: JZW Stage 1 9-3 2.8v6 Aero

Thanks for that link...I'll get reading in work tonight, I think that's the same turbo Froggy back in the UK had on his lunatic 9k so that's a definite option, was worried about too much turbo lag but his went very well. There's also another someone mentioned the other month but I cant remember what it was

Got to page 2 of Daveships monster 9-5 build this morning but my pc kept crashing Hopefully I can get it sorted tonight and have some more ideas.

When you say new pistons I take it that's if I keep the 9-5 bottom end? Plan is to break my 9000 and use that one...but I'm not sure my standard pistons will be up to it so may have to fit forged ones anyway?

Cams- I 'think' my Abbott 243 cams will fit straight in the T7 head but I might need bigger ones to get the higher numbers....I don't know anyone else who's had these fitted with anything above a GT30 sized turbo so haven't a clue if they're any good with a massive turbo...so might be better off with something like 268's instead?

Loads of time to get this sorted, I'm aiming for around 12 months... but I don't want to end up buying the 9-5 and then have it for another 8-9 months collecting all the bits together like I did on this one...basically want to get it and have it all fitted asap.

Still haven't figured out how I'm going to get it to stop yet
Old 2nd September 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: '01 Saab 9-5 Aero
Garage

Quote:
Still haven't figured out how I'm going to get it to stop yet
Brakes seem like a good option.
Old 3rd September 2011

Join Date: Dec 2007