I feel like I Just Botched a Big job! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: T5 Suited Stg T28++ 9-3
Default I feel like I Just Botched a Big job!

So I just finished the bilstein sport +Eibach pro-kit suspension overhaul, plus all the other goodies. Overall, not too bad and the car looks A W E S O M E!
That said, I'm noticing on the interwebs a frequency of pics of a washer between both the strut shaft where it abuts the mount, and again on top where the strut shaft nut is that tightens the whole shebang. When I took the OE suspension apart, there was only, in order: Locking nut top nut, strut mount, strut bearing, bearing cup, bump stop/rubber thing/dust cover. I assumed that since one didn't come with the new shocks and that the OE system lacked said component I did the right thing, but I am seriously worried I "assumed" and made an @$$ out of myself
Can anyone point me true? If this is the case, I have to essentially do the whole Job over!!
-Cm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31st August 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Conv, 2000 9-3 Conv, 2002 9-3

When I did mine (with Koni's) on my ng900 it went like this (top to bottom).
Nut, lock washer (not on the OEM setup), large black dished metal washer (edges curve up), strut mount, strut mount bearing, brass metal dished washer, upper spring support (metal), support (rubber), bump stop and sleeve, then you have a zinc disc at the bottom that the spring sits on.
Old 31st August 2011
Saab Lunatic

In looking at platonoff's tutorial, the Ng strut mount is different than the 9-3 mount, or at least it appears to be. On the 9-3 there is one big dome and DEEP inside the dome is the "big" retaining nut, which sits on a flat metal surface, the strut shaft sits on a metal surface as well with two slots in it.

I can't see the car leaving the factory without requisite hardware, no? I mimicked the factory setup exactly....seemed super simple
-Cm
Old 1st September 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
In looking at platonoff's tutorial, the Ng strut mount is different than the 9-3 mount, or at least it appears to be. On the 9-3 there is one big dome and DEEP inside the dome is the "big" retaining nut, which sits on a flat metal surface, the strut shaft sits on a metal surface as well with two slots in it.

I can't see the car leaving the factory without requisite hardware, no? I mimicked the factory setup exactly....seemed super simple
-Cm

From what I see in the EPC, there are no washers on the 9-3, as opposed to the two (upper/lower) on the NG900.
Old 1st September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Awesome, thank you!
-Cm
Old 2nd September 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                

Post us some pics.

2000 Viggen

1993 Mazda RX-7 "It ain't stock"

I live in a high test world...
Old 2nd September 2011
Saab Lunatic

That would do no good as it's on jacks...again...awaiting it's new, big, air stuffer, the proper brakes as a member on here sold me the wrong, not "308mm upgrade", and some electronic gizmos to help me tune (EGT, AFR, etc). The bumper and peripherals are off, too.
I promise I'll post it up, but I've been going for the super sleeper look so it looks kinda stock, of course except for the fact that the back looks like I have a bunch of dead bodies in the trunk
-Cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement