Xenon lights are too pricey! - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Workshop
Saab 9-5 Workshop Saab 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th August 2011

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 aero
Default Xenon lights are too pricey!

I have an 03' saab 9-5 aero and both of the ecm's have gone out on my headlights (according to my mechanic) and they need to be replaced, between parts and labor and bulbs he wants to charge 1,000 for the job so now i'm trying to work around it. I am wondering if anyone knows how/if i could hook up the halogens (what many call passing lights) to work on a switch on my dash even though both of the headlight ecm's dont work. Currently my fog lights dont work because the car was in an accident before that destroyed one of them so i would love it if i could use the fog light switch to control the halogens. Any input would be greatly appreciated as i am driving around at night right now with my flashers on.

thanks in advance, devin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th August 2011
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinmatagi View Post
I have an 03' saab 9-5 aero and both of the ecm's have gone out on my headlights (according to my mechanic) and they need to be replaced, between parts and labor and bulbs he wants to charge 1,000 for the job so now i'm trying to work around it. I am wondering if anyone knows how/if i could hook up the halogens (what many call passing lights) to work on a switch on my dash even though both of the headlight ecm's dont work. Currently my fog lights dont work because the car was in an accident before that destroyed one of them so i would love it if i could use the fog light switch to control the halogens. Any input would be greatly appreciated as i am driving around at night right now with my flashers on.

thanks in advance, devin

Im a little confused by what you mean but, you can pull the light fuse so that you have to turn on your DRL's and they wont be on until you want them to be on, as for lights i got 70 dollar HID's last year they are still running strong replacement bulbs are 25 dollars and take about 5 mins to swap about 20 mins to install the ballasts.
Old 9th August 2011

My xenon's dont work at all because of the ECM's, not the bulbs, I wish i just had to replace the bulbs I want to use the halogens that are between the xenons and the grill as my normal lights and i want to turn them on with a switch on the dash. I realize these were not designed to be the headlights but if i can get this to work i save a thousand dollars and that would be nice.
Old 9th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02 9 Aero, '89 900S

I have mine wired up using a fog light switch. I did mine mainly with a multi-meter to determine what wire fired the flash-to-pass lights. Then splice into your fogs wiring and run some cable to your headlights. I dont remember which was which, so youll have to start fresh with a multi-meter in hand.
Old 9th August 2011

ok, so step one. figure out how a multimeter works.. haha right now when i try to use the flash to pass function nothing happens. are all of the forward lights (headlights, pass to flash, fog lights) using the ecm to try and turn on? I might go buy a set of jeep lights i.e. hellas and just canabalize all the parts so that I really just need a battery connection, ground and a switch.
Old 9th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-spd

The xenon control module is a $210 part and can be replaced in 15-20 minutes per side. Why not do it yourself?
Old 9th August 2011

Ok so here is what i really would love to do... would it be possible to unhook whatever wires go to the fog lights and re-route them to turn on the halogens between the xenon's and the grill?
Old 9th August 2011

The cheapest i can find the part is 220 and I need two of them, add two bulbs to that and its over 600 for the repair. Its a repair that i plan on doing I just dont have the cash right now and am in a little bit of a pinch driving around without headlights...
Old 9th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-spd

Bulbs can be had for less than $100 per pair.

Most hackjob solutions will blind on-coming drivers and may not pass vehicle safety inspections. Don't be a cheapskate when it comes to lighting. It is a safety item after all. Just fix it properly.

How can you be sure that your ECM modules are bad? Did they go out at two separate times? If they both went out at the same time, the chances of the ECM's being at fault is extremely small.
Old 10th August 2011

According to my mechanic the $100 dollar bulbs that I put in were part of the problem with my ECM's going bad. One will not communicate and the other is not functional. He wants 260 for the part (2) and 100 for the bulb (2) I was already trying to save money by buying bulbs online on amazon and supposedly that really worsened the situation. I dont want to buy 2 of these ECM's and then have everything go really western on me. I do all my own small maintenance (sensors, brakes, shocks, struts, etc..) but electrical things are not my specialty
Old 10th August 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Did you check tECM connectors? the tend to rust and go bad jsut try celaning them
Old 10th August 2011
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

Try swapping the control modules around .... see if it isn't something else.

As for wiring up the inner H7 bulbs ... if you do that (as has been said) you will blind on-coming traffic.
Those lights have very little pattern to their throw and are NOT intended as driving lights.
One look from a cop would have you pulled over in a heartbeat.

Check wreckers. Goldwing doesn't have and hasn't had for a very long time, but someone else may.
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 12th August 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: "Freja"- '03 9-5 V6 Arc by Rabbit

Quote:
Ok so here is what i really would love to do... would it be possible to unhook whatever wires go to the fog lights and re-route them to turn on the halogens between the xenon's and the grill?

They're saying the halogen lights (flash-to-pass lights) weren't meant to be used on a regular basis, and they're right.

However... as a temporary fix.... do a search for "Relay 666". This turns on the halogens with the xenon-highs. I'm thinking 666 won't work with your xenons already out, but it's worth a shot.
Old 13th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 02 95 aero

but the relay 666 mod only turns on the halogens on highbeam.

If you replace your bulbs when they start flickering, NOT when the have totally burned out, it seems this saves you from burning out your control module. I have an 02 with 160k miles and i've kept the DRLs on and have yet to burn out a control module.
Old 13th August 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: Steel Grey 05 Aero automatic

Quote:

thanks in advance, devin
I just bought 2 Sylvania D1S bulbs off Amazon for 80.00. 11 reviews and all rave about them. Few Saab owners chimed in as well. Phillips were about 16.00 more each. Not too bad if they work as well as other brands. I know this isn't so much a bulb thread here, but if this is news to anyone........well you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement