No Spring Return on Ignition Switch - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th August 2011

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
Default No Spring Return on Ignition Switch

I am replacing the ignition switch on our 1991 Saab 900 Turbo with automatic transmission. After replacing the switch barrel there was not any spring return from the start position of the key so I picked up a Scan Tech part # 10.7505 (8567505) which is the electrical portion of the ignition. I have read on a forum that the spring return is in the electrical part of the switch but this Scan Tech part does not have spring return.
Is the spring return supposed to be in the electrical portion of the switch? If so, this new part is defective. If not, is there another part of the mechanism that has the spring return? All the gears appear to be OK.
Many people seem to love the Bentley manual for this car but I am constantly doing internet searches for this type of info that should be in the manual. Harrruummmphhh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th August 2011

Default Spring return is in switch

I tested the old and new switches that I have and find that the spring return is indeed in the electrical switch. I apparently have something else messed up in the mechanism that is preventing that last portion of the key rotation. Should be OK after I figure that.
Old 6th August 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

I cannot remember if the return spring is underneath where lock and mechanism operate, but I would suggest you have dislodged it when removing cylinder
how did you remove cylinder.
just been in garage and checked my 3 spares, lol, and they all turn to the start position and it DOES NOT return on it's own so.... it pressume it must be electrical that does it( unless something has come off all 3?)... check fuses and relay

Last edited by 16saabs; 6th August 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 9th August 2011

Thanks, 16saabs! Yes, the spring return is in the electrical switch and I missed that initially as I didn't give it that extra few degrees of turn when testing it with a screwdriver.
The ignition is all together now with a new cylinder and electrical switch and it does work. The only remaining issue is that the final turn of the key to engage the starter takes a little more effort than I think it should and that appears to be due to the gears and their pivots being a little worn. This was the problem when we first bought the car months ago. We will live with that until the keys start bending again! Thanks again for helping!
Old 10th August 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

did you take the whole g/levr unit out as it might be there is a bit of trim? etc stuck in the teeth give everything a good grease up.
I had similar prob re key bending when my lock started to fail and I eventually turned the ignition on then pulled the key out and then started the car with the screwdriver, intil it broke completely one night while out, and I tried to drill the lock out and went straight through everything and so I could'nt turn it to start anyway,I could get the ign lights on but with it being an auto, I could'nt bump start it anyway as was out in the car and had my battery drill with me so had to replace whole unit in the end...so it might even be the bottom bit under the lock, but with a new unit in(as had a complete spare lever unit in garage) it worked perfect
spary some wd40 down the barrel it will run out onto the mechansim underneath it might help
Advertisement