New member, recent '05 9-5 Arc purchase, and aftermarket stereo install. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th July 2011

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 Arc
Question New member, recent '05 9-5 Arc purchase, and aftermarket stereo install.

Hi all,
I've done a successful aftermarket stereo install to my car, although initial wiring attempts appears the factory amplifier sent power back onto my headunit, and fried the RCA outputs.

So my current setup:

Kenwood KDC-x493 headunit
PPI Pro-Mos 425 powering front components (Morel Tempo 6x)
PPI Pro-Mos 25 powering two 12" Crunch subs in sealed box in trunk

Everything works great, however I have little/poor radio reception FM/AM can be non-existant in most cases. I believe I know that the issue is the car's antenna amplifier in the rear pillar, is not getting power/powered on.

The factory amp plug is physically unplugged, as I wanted it out of the equation (to prevent further damage with it plugged into the system), and trying to keep everything somewhat capable of being put back to factory down the road.

So the missing piece, which I don't know what to do, is getting power to the antenna amplifier? I believe at headunit harness, it is green wire 7, that then goes to the amplifier plug, green wire 12 (?).

That's all I know. But with factory amp unplugged, and my set up, any ideas/info on how to send accessory/ignition power (and to what wire at headunit or factory amp harness?) to the antenna amplifier?

Greatly appreciate your input!

TIA

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th July 2011
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero

i used the headlight switch for the 12 volt power switch aka blue stripe or blue solid wire..
Old 28th July 2011

Thanks! As the supply of ignition/accessory, there's some choices to pick from, but where do I feed accessory power to get the antenna amplifier to come on when ignition turned?

I guess that's the part I'm confused with, what wire and where, that leads to the antenna amplifier, that should be supplied with ignition voltage? Is the wire to the antenna amp off the factory headunit harness, or at the factory amp harness?

Tim
Old 28th July 2011
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagamitsu View Post
Thanks! As the supply of ignition/accessory, there's some choices to pick from, but where do I feed accessory power to get the antenna amplifier to come on when ignition turned?

I guess that's the part I'm confused with, what wire and where, that leads to the antenna amplifier, that should be supplied with ignition voltage? Is the wire to the antenna amp off the factory headunit harness, or at the factory amp harness?

Tim
Honestly i don't remember to well try it out put the wire into the first two or last two top row of the light switch try it and turn the key on and see what happends make sure when the keys in the decks on and when its out its off, you wont be able to turn the deck on without the keys..
Old 29th July 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

Have a look through this thread as it may help you out.
2006 9-7X 5.3i
Old 29th July 2011

Thanks guys. Avic install does not reference a wire hookup to power the antenna amplifier.

I guess I need confirmation of where and which wire in either factory head unit harness, or factory amplifier harness, is the power feed to the antenna amplifier. This one key piece of info is what I can't find anywhere.

Tim
Old 29th July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 AERO MPS STG2

Quote:
Thanks guys. Avic install does not reference a wire hookup to power the antenna amplifier.

I guess I need confirmation of where and which wire in either factory head unit harness, or factory amplifier harness, is the power feed to the antenna amplifier. This one key piece of info is what I can't find anywhere.

Tim

Why does it need to be the factory wire? Why don't you just tap into ANY ignition activated 12 volt supply?
Old 29th July 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
Why does it need to be the factory wire? Why don't you just tap into ANY ignition activated 12 volt supply?
Accessory/ignition source is not the issue, I know where those are, I don't know what wire is the wire to the antenna amplifier. That's the one I need to find out, to then splice into existing ignition/accessory wire.

Tim
Old 29th July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 AERO MPS STG2

Quote:
Accessory/ignition source is not the issue, I know where those are, I don't know what wire is the wire to the antenna amplifier. That's the one I need to find out, to then splice into existing ignition/accessory wire.

Tim

Sorry I miss-read your post.

In the following link if you scroll down to "AS2/AS3/ES52/ES53 AMPLIFIER CONNECTOR" it says the Remote on control for amplifier (also antenna) is pin number 1 and is green.

Don't know if this helps....

http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml
Old 29th July 2011

No problem! I was thinking the same after seeing that, maybe I have to somehow test it. It was my theory that green wire on the radio amplifier harness, was just the opposite end to the headunit harness green wire. So my concern was whether the factory radio amp needed to be plugged into harness, which I want to stay from doing.

I'll have to put tester on the green wire at both ends, with ignition on, to see if any power on it. If there isn't, I could try putting power to it and see if radio reception is proper. The hidden part is not knowing if this is just a single green wire between headunit and factory radio amp, whether it runs off to antenna amp somehow.

Tim
Old 2nd August 2011

Yay! Fixed! Hooked the green wire at factory radio harness to the accessory/ignition wire, now I have FM/AM channels.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement