9-3 2004, key won't turn in ignition - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd July 2011

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Linear
Default 9-3 2004, key won't turn in ignition

Start of the problem was that the fuel pump needed replaced, in the process of trying to start the car the battery ran down, I then changed the pump, verified that it was operating by connecting 12v direct and this ran ok.
Now the I have a major issue. I recharged the battery, re-installed it into the car. I put the key into the ignition, nothing happens, the key won't turn and the SID doesn't display anything, not even the back light. There is not the usual click of the steering lock disengaging in fact the lock isn't even on with the key out.
The car will lock and unlock using the key. The interior lights work ok. I have checked all the fuses and everything looks ok. I have started to clutch at straws. The drivers window is open from before the battery was removed(does this have to be closed?) and won't close because the car won't switch on! Is there an interlock on the tank that would stop the car from registering a key in the ignition?
I am really at a loss what to do, does anybody have an idea what could have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd July 2011
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady

take the key out of the switch..unhook the neg term off the battery for 5 mins..

reconnect batt,insert key in switch don't try to turn leave in about 10 secs allowing the key to resync to the car..remove key for about 5 secs,reinsert key it should now turn..

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..
Old 23rd July 2011

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Linear

Thanks for the reply.
the car is out at a friends who allowed me to use his lift to change the fuel pump. I will try what you suggest tomorrow.
Old 31st March 2014

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3SS
Default Help

I am having the same problem with my car, my battery died and after replacing it, the key won't turn at all? Does anyone have a solution????
Old 31st March 2014
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear

put it in and out a few times.
Old 1st April 2014

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3SS

That's what she said. And thanks for the reply, I put the key in and jiggled it around and was finally able to get it to work

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement