What did you do on your Classic 900 today? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 81 8V 900T, 91 2.1 900i, 90 9k 2.0 Carly
Default What did you do on your Classic 900 today?

This is a topic which hopefully everyone can contribute to!

Today I contemplated the process for replacing the alternator in my 81 turbo sedan and wished I could afford right now to replace the quite worn tyres with something that will grip better off-road.

Craig.
Advertisement

Old 23rd July 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: Trionic 5.5 1984 900t 8v
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by c900 View Post
This is a topic which hopefully everyone can contribute to!

Today I contemplated the process for replacing the alternator in my 81 turbo sedan and wished I could afford right now to replace the quite worn tyres with something that will grip better off-road.

Craig.
I couldn't think of any servicing that I could afford to do either haha so I simply drove it and put $10 of petrol in it. Yes it was a pointless endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23rd July 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

checking rear brake pads ready for MOT test, and changing wife's main wiper motor as getting slow
Old 23rd July 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 93 Turbo Vert

New Bilsteins all 4 corners,rebushed the rear end as well big difference, now for the front.....
Old 23rd July 2011
Banned

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900S // 1991 Turbo Vert SE

Going to buy 2 new tires for my NA so we can finally have both Saabs running at the same time. Give NA good cleaning to prepare for the work week.

3 alignment shims fell out from the verts left front upper A-Arm earlier this week, and was making a horrid clunking sound at low speed when load at the left tire (LHD) turning hard (i.e getting into or our of a park space). I wasted no time or posts trying to figure it out.

Took the car to the indy Saab guy yesterday and they put up on the lift and found shims mangled laying in the axle tunnel; they straightened the shims for me (no cost), handed them to me, and confirmed I only need to replace them when i get home and tighten the bolts properly.
They cleared the SRS mode flash for $45 since i replaced the horn ring earlier this month.

Was gunna put new top on today but wife and I promised daughter fun in the sun so off to the amusement park this afternoon.

Ended up getting a custom grey top for the vert and it looks good in my opinion.

Replacing Shims today before we go play games.
Old 23rd July 2011

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1988 Saab 900 Aero, 1989 Saab 900 EMS 16
Garage

Cleaned and degreased engine bay followed by a good wash
Old 23rd July 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-3 Aero SC VTuner-0, '78 - 99GL

I gave each of them a hug.
Old 23rd July 2011

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: '89 Turbo Convertible

Gave her a quick bath and a rub down....getting ready to go to a Saab get together in Cary, NC.

Troy
Old 23rd July 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: '85 SPG (11/84), '89 SPG (01/89)

In the last month, I have:

-replaced the serpentine belt on my 9000CSE (SaabKen's ex Matilda)

-on Woywitka's '87 turbo convertible
--pulled engine/gearbox
--transferred engine accessories to new donor drivetrain
--transferred good driver's side inner driver from old drivetrain to passenger side of new donor drivetrain
--changed lower ball joints
--dropped new drivetrain in
--hooked everything up
--adjusted timing, idle, LH2.2 AMM using dwell meter

-converted an '84 8-valve non-turbo automatic 4-door to manual
--pulled drivetrain from '84 8-valve non-turbo 5sp 3-door which was unsafe to continue driving due to rust
--pulled the clutch master with the drivetrain so we wouldn't have to bleed the clutch! :P
--pulled shifter assembly
--pulled auto drivetrain from 4-door
--dropped 5-speed drivetrain into 4-door car
--transferred clutch and brake pedals
--hooked everything up

Last night, I was jacking around with the audio system in the '84 4-door. I've got an '88 Saab/Clarion system in there, and 3 of 4 speakers working. Gotta hit my garage and dig through inventory for some better speakers for the front--one sounds awful and the other is completely dead.

edit: finished stereo on '84 4-door today

Last edited by JeffCullen; 23rd July 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 23rd July 2011

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Saab 900s 16v hard top

I took Bella My 90 900s out for a relaxing cruise through town and the country..shes my daily driver and its amazing how she turns heads. it is the only Saab I have seen anywhere around where I live in SE Missouri!! Bought her from an older gent who kept her very well maintained and shes in almost like new shape.

I love when I stop at a store or wherever and get the questions... what kinda car is that, are you from another country.. or if its somebody who knows Saabs..... its OMG A SAAB!!

SAAB ON!
Old 23rd July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1989 Saab spg, 2008 Aero 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16saabs View Post
checking rear brake pads ready for MOT test, and changing wife's main wiper motor as getting slow
It may not be the motor at all that is slow, you may have to take out the whole wiper. Take the clips off of the spindles that hole the wiper arms and grease them. I had one that was so bad that it broke trying to get it apart, good thing I had a spare.
Old 23rd July 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 93 9K CSE, 85 900T 3dr

Welded up the drivers side suspension tunnel rust on the 85T. Hot!

Took a short cruise in the 87 8v Slow!
Old 23rd July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: Down to one, an 87 900 Turbo

Nothing.. it was 105 degrees today..

it was 105 yesterday

Tomarrow will be cooler.. hopefully I can finish getting the engine and transaxle out of my dead 91 so I can send it off to the scrappers
1996 BMW 318 Ti Sport
Old 23rd July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: past:89 900 5sp N/A sedan and 89 900 SPG

I flushed the intercooler and painted the front bumper.

TURBO PEOPLE: flush your intercooler with spirits and high pressure water! Adds 10+ hp on a poorly maintained car.
Old 23rd July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks View Post
I gave each of them a hug.
Aww - feeling the love! 8-) At least it's genuine Swedish love not Ikea-style 'Chinese Swedish' which is how a lot of modern vehicles are designed.

Craig.
Old 24th July 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 89T,87 SPG,93 900S,91 4d, 97 9K Aero

I changes the tires to summer tires and I got my turbo rebuild kit but now I need Aeroquip flex lines for the return and feed oil lines to the turbo an I need to figure out where to get all that.

and I gave a look to my convertible that is siting there waiting for me to change the top and finish the interior once and for all..... .
Old 24th July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Default New (reman) Bosch 80A alt installed in 81 turbo sedan - snookered by the tensioner!

Installed the Bosch 80A alternator into my 81 turbo sedan with a new mounting bracket as well as the alternator (since the early style bracket uses the smaller bolt) but got snookered by the slot in the tensioning arm not being wide enough for the larger diameter (and much longer) tensioner bolt! argh! I'm not sure I can come up with a way to substitute another way to tension it up that will be reliable without getting the correct tensioner bracket. bugger...

Anyway the new alt is installed, and the belt is on. I haven't wired it up yet and without a tensioner bracket to use I can't get the belt tightened up. I have all the wiring stuff I need including a cable salvaged from my 9k to join the M8 output stud of the 80 A alternator to an M6 terminal block onto which I can bolt the existing +12 v feeder wires which all have M6 hole lugs.

Shame I can't test it but I did remember to recover the 'key' from the shaft of the old alternator to use on the new one when re-constructing the single-belt pulley on the replacement alt. 8-)

BTW the old 70 A alternator has shocking bearing noises when I was rotating it by hand out of the car, so Good Thing I decided to change it and get a new good alt with a new vreg put into the car.

Oh well such is life! It looks like I'll be driving the landcruiser tomorrow and if I have any $$ in the bank accounts, ordering the right tensioner bracket from Saab Salvage. 8-)

Craig.
Old 24th July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: '85 900 T16 Sedan
Garage

I'm still trying to diagnose my lifter ticking problem. Spent most of the day working on my beater's exhaust, but it's time to focus on the Saab again, so I took the intake cam off and attempted to measure valve clearances today. Nope, got two done then it was dinner time and chat with a friend. So much for being productive. Gotta get the darned transmission back out to fix a botch I did last year before the summer's out!

li Arc
Old 24th July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by li Arc View Post
I'm still trying to diagnose my lifter ticking problem. Spent most of the day working on my beater's exhaust, but it's time to focus on the Saab again, so I took the intake cam off and attempted to measure valve clearances today. Nope, got two done then it was dinner time and chat with a friend. So much for being productive. Gotta get the darned transmission back out to fix a botch I did last year before the summer's out!

li Arc
At least you have warm weather at the moment - it's winter here and morning/evening temps are down in the single-digit C range, so I get a window of about 5 to 6 hrs if it's sunny, or a bit narrower if it's not, either side of which it's too cold to be outside playing 'bush mechanic'. 8-)

I still haven't had a chance to do anything more with the engine in the black 2.1 hatchback since I bought the skimmed cylinder head from Saab Salvage well over a month ago. I do though now have the special timing chain tool (genuine Sir Tools product) that I purchased from Pelican Parts again over a month ago - I'd also ordered a Sir Tools valve spring compressor but they're NLA.

Hopefully I can snaffle a week of annual leave out of work some time in the not too distant future and get the 2.1 car running. Even if I don't have the $$$ to reg and insure it, I want it to be drivable at least so it can be moved around to mow the 'forest' of grass growing under and around it!

Craig.
Old 24th July 2011

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 900 Turbo Classic

Changed a fuse that blew, interior light/aerial if you were wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement