Tech II Software Changes - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st July 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 07 Saab 9 2.0T - Sold 03/04/2013
Garage
Default Tech II Software Changes

I have an appointment Friday with Saab to turn off my low beams for $60. I mentioned this forum to the Service manager about some ppl having disabled there lights on MY07. He told me they would try but cant guarantee they can turn them off. With the GM to Spyker swap, did they lose their security access to disable these dumb lights. I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about Friday. I need to know which instructions to print out. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Aero Vtune stage 0 rev 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno Chulo89 View Post
I have an appointment Friday with Saab to turn off my low beams for $60. I mentioned this forum to the Service manager about some ppl having disabled there lights on MY07. He told me they would try but cant guarantee they can turn them off. With the GM to Spyker swap, did they lose their security access to disable these dumb lights. I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about Friday. I need to know which instructions to print out. Thanks
the dealer i went to had no trouble turning off either of our '07s DRLs. the tech2 system is individual to the dealer, not to saab i.e. the dealer buys the system and the rights to use it.
Old 21st July 2011
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansaab27 View Post
the dealer i went to had no trouble turning off either of our '07s DRLs. the tech2 system is individual to the dealer, not to saab i.e. the dealer buys the system and the rights to use it.
I'm assuming the software has to be up to date, right? When I originally presented this to them a few months ago, I was told they would only disable my low beams because that's all their software allows them to do. I don't see how it is possible to do one and not the other. I'm getting mixed stories.
Old 21st July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Aero Vtune stage 0 rev 2

i'm not quite understanding your question. on the pre-08 cars, the DRLs were the low beams.
Old 21st July 2011
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansaab27 View Post
i'm not quite understanding your question. on the pre-08 cars, the DRLs were the low beams.
When you say you had your DRLs disabled, you mean your low beams are off or is your light switch is fully functional? Pre 08s don't have DRLs. There is no variation between our lights during the day or night. Our lights stay on whenever our engine is started. The dealer is stating that they only have access to turn the lows off but when I switch the lights to off, my city, side markers, tails, and license plate lights will be un-changed. I didn't see it as an option to disable just the lows.
Old 21st July 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 SS Linear

Quote:
When you say you had your DRLs disabled, you mean your low beams are off or is your light switch is fully functional? Pre 08s don't have DRLs. There is no variation between our lights during the day or night. Our lights stay on whenever our engine is started. The dealer is stating that they only have access to turn the lows off but when I switch the lights to off, my city, side markers, tails, and license plate lights will be un-changed. I didn't see it as an option to disable just the lows.
My 04 has DRL's (daytime running lights). I think you are looking at this backwards. If you disable the DRL's, you'll just have to manually switch the lights on (middle setting on switch) . City, etc. will come on when you move switch.

Dude, I think you really need to go to another dealer. It sounds like they are giving you a bunch of BS, which is getting you confused. There is a thread here somewhere about DRL's.....
Old 21st July 2011
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jplipper View Post
My 04 has DRL's (daytime running lights). I think you are looking at this backwards. If you disable the DRL's, you'll just have to manually switch the lights on (middle setting on switch) . City, etc. will come on when you move switch.

Dude, I think you really need to go to another dealer. It sounds like they are giving you a bunch of BS, which is getting you confused. There is a thread here somewhere about DRL's.....
There arent a lot of dealerships here and ive been going to this one since I bought it. They arent really drls. The dealer says their software gives them access to disable the low beams only. drls consist of the headlamps (hi/lo) or parking lights to operate at reduced power during the day. The 93ss doesnt do this. I just want full function of my light switch and to save the life of my bulbs.
Old 21st July 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 SS Linear

Quote:
There arent a lot of dealerships here and ive been going to this one since I bought it. They arent really drls. The dealer says their software gives them access to disable the low beams only. drls consist of the headlamps (hi/lo) or parking lights to operate at reduced power during the day. The 93ss doesnt do this. I just want full function of my light switch and to save the life of my bulbs.
You're splitting hairs. I understand what you are saying, but SAAB refers to them as DRL's, as does GM. Do you have bi-Xeon's? Otherwise, you have separate halogen bulbs for hi and low beams. I converted mine to HID's, and from what I read, you can disable the DRL's (low beams) so that your switch turns lows on and off as you want. You can enable bi-xeons, which can fix issues people have with flickering aftermarket HID's but leaves you with no high beams. i don't know why you would disable the hi-beams, unless you have the bi-xeon feature.

Search for "headlights" in the workshop forum and you'll find tons of info on the mysterious SAAB light switch. Someone even posted a video on youtube explaining it.

Check here: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...adlight+switch

Last edited by Jplipper; 21st July 2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Update
Old 21st July 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear

My dealer (in Ann Arbor, Mi) just told me no... they told me it was illegal to turn off the DLRs... Which I know isn't true.. I told him I knew of other dealerships that'll do it.. but they claimed that turning off DLRs was something they're not supposed to do..
** The guys that run the service department kinda suck... I get treated like a dumb kid when I go in.... (i'm 21) According to them, it seems like aftermarket anything or anything DIY is impossible and is ridiculous... haha... stealership...
Old 21st July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Nocturne Blue 9-3ss Linear
Garage

Quote:
In order to do this, they'll probably have to set your car to "ROW" (Rest of World), they'll not only have to program the switch function so the headlights stay OFF when the switch is in the off position, side markers and tail lights when in the I position, and all lights when in the "on" position.

They will have to also program the Rear electrical system to behave the same way so your tail lights stay off when the switch is in the off position, if they don't, you'll have all auxilary lighting all the time (tail lights will stay on when you start the car and side markers as well).

If you have fog lights, they'll have to program those too once they finish with the regular lighting.

I'll try to dig up the official thread and link it here.

All I could find (for now)...

In Diagnostic Mode:
Diag>200x(insert year digit for x)>9-3 Sport
Body>Exterior Lighting and Horn
Low beam adjustments.
F0. Auto Low Beam also in Pos 0.
Change setting to NO
6 seconds later,lights flicker and go out. Exit.

Then:
Go to:
Fog Lights Front.
Change to Position 1 & 2 ROW (Rest of World) Program and Exit.

This will give you:

Pos 0 > No Lights
Pos1 > Fogs and 5 Watt Headlamp / Parking Light
Pos3 > Low Beam, High Beam, Manual Control of Fogs.

Last edited by Nocturne; 21st July 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 21st July 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 60th Anniversary 9

I recently had my 07's DRLs disabled at an independent Saab shop. $34.50 and done in under 20 minutes. I don't know if the specific instructions above are right as I didn't watch him but they sound right - I do know the setting is referred to as Rest of World ROW. This guy knew what he was doing, if the dealer isn't sure make sure you have the instructions and test all the positions before you accept the work. Check the taillights in each position as someone had an issue with them still being on all the time even though the low beams/DRLs were disabled/working via the switch.

I ended up with:
position 0 - lights off, high beam flash only (doesn't lock on)
position 1 - parking lights, city lights and tails, front fogs optional, high beam flash only, no rear fogs
position 2 - DRL/lights on, city lights and tails, front fogs optional, high beam lock, rear fogs optional
Old 21st July 2011

My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T Vtuner Stage 0

mine were shut off but I'm getting the left/right low beam failure warning. The switch works as it should but my tails are still on.

perhaps a step was missed on mine that the car is still thinking the DRLs should be on and they aren't now so it's sending back a failed bulb warning.
Old 21st July 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
In order to do this, they'll probably have to set your car to "ROW" (Rest of World), they'll not only have to program the switch function so the headlights stay OFF when the switch is in the off position, side markers and tail lights when in the I position, and all lights when in the "on" position.

They will have to also program the Rear electrical system to behave the same way so your tail lights stay off when the switch is in the off position, if they don't, you'll have all auxilary lighting all the time (tail lights will stay on when you start the car and side markers as well).

If you have fog lights, they'll have to program those too once they finish with the regular lighting.

I'll try to dig up the official thread and link it here.

All I could find (for now)...

In Diagnostic Mode:
Diag>200x(insert year digit for x)>9-3 Sport
Body>Exterior Lighting and Horn
Low beam adjustments.
F0. Auto Low Beam also in Pos 0.
Change setting to NO
6 seconds later,lights flicker and go out. Exit.

Then:
Go to:
Fog Lights Front.
Change to Position 1 & 2 ROW (Rest of World) Program and Exit.

This will give you:

Pos 0 > No Lights
Pos1 > Fogs and 5 Watt Headlamp / Parking Light
Pos3 > Low Beam, High Beam, Manual Control of Fogs.
I think the 07 has a different procedure, something to do with reinstalling the UEC... a quick searcj might find them.

Edit Here:
Originally posted by tedjs.....and currently in a thread a few up from this... Learn to use search.

To turn off the DRL's in the 2007 9-3 the underhood electrical center or UEC must be reconfigured to setting alternative one (below). The 9-3 is set up with alternative three from the factory.

The technician must use the Tech II to add the UEC module as if a new one is being installed on the vehicle. Once configuration is complete the light switch will now have complete control of the headlamps. You can also leave them on and they will 'work' normally or turn on and off with the key just like when the car was new.

If I remember correctly the Tech II will need to request security access via GM TIS software prior to being able to do this. A stand alone Tech II will not be able to do this without access if memory serves.

Alternative 1

When the light switch (10) is in position 0 or 1, none of the main lighting should be active.

In position 0, none of the parking lights should be active. (Germany + other markets).

Alternative 2

When the light switch is in position 0, dipped beams should be on (daytime running lights).

In position 0 it is not possible to switch between main and dipped beams (Sweden).

Alternative 3

When the light switch is in position 0 or 1, the dipped beams should be on.

In position 0 or 1 it is not possible to switch between main and dipped beams (Canada).
Old 21st July 2011
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmli View Post
My dealer (in Ann Arbor, Mi) just told me no... they told me it was illegal to turn off the DLRs... Which I know isn't true.. I told him I knew of other dealerships that'll do it.. but they claimed that turning off DLRs was something they're not supposed to do..
** The guys that run the service department kinda suck... I get treated like a dumb kid when I go in.... (i'm 21) According to them, it seems like aftermarket anything or anything DIY is impossible and is ridiculous... haha... stealership...
Yea thats what one of the service guys told me and then he said audi doesnt allow u to disable drls. yea im 22 and dont think they know it but I feel they try to treat u like u have no idea what ur talking about. Jplipper u misread my post. I do not wish to disable my HIs because I do not have bi xenons. I was explaining what real drls are. It has been discussed here before that our cars are not truely equipped with drls. Ive seen that youtube video before but ur light switch is useless, giving us no control over our lights. Very dumb idea on GMs part. Some cars have separate leds for drls. Some use only the front turn signals like my 05 Grand Prix and others use either the HIs or LOWs at less power but none of them run all your lights 24/7. I was just wondering how can they say their software only allows them to turn off lows and nothing else. The sw has to be up to dare and have security access before they can start, right?
Old 22nd July 2011

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9 Aero
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmli View Post
Try Saab of Troy. They did it for me with no problem. Just make sure your fog lights still work before you leave. I had to go back because I lost my fog's after they disabled my DRL's
Old 22nd July 2011
Saab Crazy

Garage

Im happy to report that after 2 trys all my lights are finally off thanks to sc. I plan on adding front fogs in the near future but will they work with just the parking lights? I see the rear fogs dont operate without the headlights being on.
Old 22nd July 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

The "Rear Fogs" = 1 light on Drivers side only.
Old 22nd July 2011
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
The "Rear Fogs" = 1 light on Drivers side only.
No. I have 2 rear fog lights because u can add the bulb to the right. Im not asking about how many there should be or what side its on. My question is can any of the fogs meaning front and rear operate without the headlights being on?
Old 23rd July 2011

My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T Vtuner Stage 0

ok, so in my trip to the dealer today I had everything set the way I want it.

in position 0 i have no lights (rears are off as well)
in position 1 I have parking lights, tails and front/rear fogs manual
in Position 2 I have low beams, parking and front/rear fogs manual

But I'm still getting the bulb failure warning. The tech said that he can't turn that off since I have the plug and play HIDs in. I tried to explain that i didn't get the failure warning until after the DRLs were turned off, but I don't think he believed me.

Oh well, ideally I'd have all of the settings above without the failure warning but it's more important to me to have the DRLs off than having to press the key on the wheel twice.
Old 24th July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Nocturne Blue 9-3ss Linear
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickslvr624 View Post
Try Saab of Troy. They did it for me with no problem. Just make sure your fog lights still work before you leave. I had to go back because I lost my fog's after they disabled my DRL's
I'll be heading to SAAB of Troy in a couple of weeks. I just hope they 'ignore' my Canadian status.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement