How to replace fuel level sending unit in Saab 93 Aero 2004 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd July 2011

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 Aero 2004
Question How to replace fuel level sending unit in Saab 93 Aero 2004

Hello,

I'm pulling my hair a little bit on that one. My fuel level sending unit seems shot (reads empty when I fill up, eventually resumes reading when the tank is about half-full - well now when it's almost empty, it's getting worse and worse). I have the replacement part and I'm trying to locate where the fuel level sending unit access is on my car. Is it on the right side of the trunk by the tank (see pic)? Or is it under the rear seats (also see pic)? I'd appreciate it a bunch if someone could guide me. Unless it's under the spare tire? I've read a few threads about this and can't seem to understand where this darned thing is!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	2818
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	24203   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	3005
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	24204  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd July 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Sportcombi 2.0T, 5-M/T

There is no access panel; the correct procedure is to drop the tank and then remove the fuel pump/sender unit from the top. Many people have cut an access hole in the previous generation 9-3's and maybe some on the newer ones. Dropping the tank is usually not really that bad; just get the fuel level as low as you dare first so the tank is light.
Old 3rd July 2011

Really? That's a bummer, I was under the impression that you could access it from the trunk (plus I just filled up!). How do I drop the tank? Do you change it from underneath the car once you've dropped the tank?

Old 3rd July 2011
Saab Crazy

Thanks to N2STY for this one:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=fuel+sender
Old 3rd July 2011

Wow, thank you so much. I think I'm going to have go take it to the mechanic for that one though...
Old 3rd July 2011
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab93Addict View Post
Wow, thank you so much. I think I'm going to have go take it to the mechanic for that one though...
Yeah if it's not something your comfortable doing yourself, have your mechanic do it, but you'll still want to wait until the fuel level is low to make it easier for them.
Old 3rd July 2011

I guess I could do it. I just wonder if my mechanic would charge me more than the $100 or so of tools I'd need to do the job myself (mostly the hydraulic jacks and 3 axle stands).
Old 16th September 2011

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 aero

I have a 2006 2.8 V6 and have the dancing needle problem. I wish to change the fuel sender unit. Is this part [22672171] (some call the part 10 22672171) the same for that engine?
thanks!
Old 16th September 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab93Addict View Post
I guess I could do it. I just wonder if my mechanic would charge me more than the $100 or so of tools I'd need to do the job myself (mostly the hydraulic jacks and 3 axle stands).
It's about a 2. 2.5 hour job.... .5 hr longer if you have to drain a lot of gas slowly.
Old 16th September 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Aero, I4, MT6, Maptun Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by u1538526 View Post
I have a 2006 2.8 V6 and have the dancing needle problem. I wish to change the fuel sender unit. Is this part [22672171] (some call the part 10 22672171) the same for that engine?
thanks!
While EPC gives a separate part number for the fuel sender unit on the B207 2-liter engine, it does not give a separate part number for the B284 2.8 liter engine. The sender unit on the B284 motor is integrated with the pump! Is this strange?
At least this is what my EPC (2009 release) says!

Fuel tank (2006 - 2009), B284, CA, US
Article : Fuel pump
PartNo : 12763086
Order Quantity : 1

Fuel tank (2003 - 2009), B207, CA, US
Article : Fuel gauge sensor
PartNo : 22672171
Usage : (OBD II)
Order Quantity : 1

Last edited by chris_de_ze; 16th September 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 24th March 2013

Join Date: Mar 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 93 Sportcombi Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by u1538526 View Post
thanks!
Did this part fix your gauge problem? The only solutions that I have seen is for the 4cyl model
Old 24th March 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

Just as a note, the XWD cars have two sending units, one of which is not being produced. This is because the drive shaft forced them to go to a "U" configuration for the shape of the tank.

Old 9th May 2017

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero, 2001 9-3 SE (RIP@165k)

My 2006 9-3 Aero (V6, 2.8L, B284 motor) has been doing the dancing fuel gauge for about 3 months now. I knew trouble was coming, but it would come back online after the first 1/3 of the tank was used up, and the Distance Till Empty computer did OK the whole time, so I've just been dealing with it.

Today, with the DTE still showing 25 miles and while I was about 1 mile from my target gas station, the engine cut out like a lightswitch. Out of gas. When you starve these things to death, you don't get any sputter time. Its just done. Pop it in neutral and start aiming for a landing pad.

FWIW, 381 miles with one 100 miles mixed highway and city until you coast in a driveway. Put in 1 gallon the wife helpfully fetches, drive a mile to the gas station which was the original target, and 14.01 gallons went in the tank.

Anyway, so now I'm sufficiently annoyed enough to drop the tank and fix it.

Anyone have experience with the V6 as opposed to the 4? I'm guessing it's similar, but not identical. At a minimum, there is a second exhaust in the way.

I could also plausibly believe the fuel sender is different, as chris_de_ze was describing. The V6 tank may be different (due to second exhaust) and the engine fuel characteristics of the V6 may be different. But I could also believe that it's just a paperwork thing, maybe once the V6 was introduced (later than the I4, correct?) maybe GM stopped selling just the sender and only sold the fuel pump assembly, so while the parts are really the same, the V6 sensors are only claimed to be part of the fuel pump assembly because that's the only way GM was willing to sell and install them (not an unreasonable decision.

I'll start researching now and update this thread with what I find, but if somebody already knows then tell me.

The second time in probably half a million miles of driving that I ran out of gas on the road. Once on a Buell Ulysses I had just bought with a failed bad low fuel sensor (ok, now I know), and now a Saab with a fuel sender that ***lied*** (ok, now I know).

Thanks for the people who took the trouble to already post helpful information here!
Old 9th May 2017

Update #1 (that was easy).

Going to the Orielly auto parts web site, and entering 2006 Saab with the V6 (they know there is a difference), and click through the parts, and you get to a Dorman 911-016, and the picture shows just the sensor (no fuel pump), and the price ($59) also suggests its not a fuel pump.

So just the sender appears to be available for the V6 as well as the 4.

Also, with regards to other comments on various threads on this topic, it was said by someone that a Saab mechanic said that when you get the funky fuel gauge and also have a trouble code, you should replace the pump and sensor. I think this is correct but confusing... the trouble code (low fuel pressure) tells you the fuel pump is failing. The dancing fuel gauge tells you the fuel level sender is failing. So he was just saying that when both or broken, replace both.

If you are paying shop rates for labor, and have a Saab with enough miles for this to fail (110k miles in my case), it probably DOES make sense to replace both pump and sensor once tank is dropped. If you aren't paying $100 per hour, and you have no other symptoms, then maybe you save some money and take some chances on a pump failing. Its not uncommon for a 100k fuel pump to fail. But it's not uncommon for one to go 200k+ miles either.
Old 9th May 2017

Update 2, Pelican has the whole fuel pump, with sender and a lot of hoses, for $371.

(I'm not advocating any of the vendors, just picking ones convenient to me and that have proven reasonably reliable in the past).
Old 9th May 2017

Update 3...

Parts , in stock at Advance 3 miles from me here at work. $60 (no shipping because I will just drop by).

I'll go that route and post how it goes. I have to use up 14.5 gallons of gas first.
Old 9th May 2017
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear; 2015 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by reepicheep View Post
Update 3...

Parts , in stock at Advance 3 miles from me here at work. $60 (no shipping because I will just drop by).

I'll go that route and post how it goes. I have to use up 14.5 gallons of gas first.
Aim for 14 instead.
Old 9th May 2017
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

I would be cautious about what parts you use - it's an annoying repair, and IMHO those Dorman-esque branded parts don't last. I wouldn't want to do the same fix in a year. Just my $0.02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement