Holy Crap, spark plug gap, and the final answer is!!!!! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th June 2011

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 9000cs, 2001 5spd 9-5 Aero Wagon
Default Holy Crap, spark plug gap, and the final answer is!!!!!

97 9000cs. i have NGK BCPR7E-11, they have the v groove in them, called NGK, its what they are saying to use now. Now here is the question, everyone is giving different answers and all i want is best performance from my car. What do i gap them to and why??? Some are saying go .89 while others are saying to go 1.1 which is what they came pre gapped, and is at the upper end of the scale. I want to do this tomorrow, so please everyone give me your best plug gap experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th June 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Aero manual

1.1 mm (the "11" at the end of the NGK plug code) is the largest gap SAAB approves. Plug gaps get larger as the plug ages in the engine. Therefore, most of us will install plugs gapped at 1.0 mm or less.

My dealer mechanic instals the NGK BCPR 7 ES 89 in the 9000 Turbos and they work. These plugs are factory gapped at 0.89 mm and were supplied for the SAAB 9000 Turbos in factory GM boxes. They work. Close the gap on those "11" s down to 0.89 mm and you will be pleased with the results.

To complicate things a bit, next time you change the plugs use NGK PFRH 6 platinum/iridium plugs and enjoy smoother power delivery and up to 5% better economy with higher peak boost. The platinum plugs also last 25 to 30K km for added bonus. I switched to platinum plugs years ago in my 97 Aero and have been very pleased with the improvements. SAAB uses these plugs in the same engine fitted to the 9 5.

T
Old 25th June 2011

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 9000cs, 2001 5spd 9-5 Aero Wagon
Default Plugs changed wow

Well, first change of plugs on the 9000 and it was nice and esay, car is running great. The new plugs gapped to .89, old plugs holy crap, didnt even measure on my gap gauge, must have been almost, if not 2mm. My only concern was plugs 1 and 2 had some oil not on the electrodes but around the threads, any idea what might cause this? thanks guys!
Old 26th June 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Aero manual

Oil on the threads is pretty normal. The cam cover "gasket" is silicone sealant. It often leaks a bit and that oil can end up down the plug wells. Re-sealing the cam cover is not a big job if the oil seepage is deemed to be excessive. Unless oil is actually pooling in the plug wells I would leave well enough alone. If oil is seeping it should be visible with the DI cassette removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement