SRS light - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th June 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 8V, '99 9-5 S
Default SRS light

I had the dash apart on my wife's '95 9000 cs to correct some gauge cluster lighting issues. I think I've corrected the problem with the cluster going completely dark at random times, plus I replaced a couple of bulbs so the information screen lights up as it should. Now the SRS light is on continuously.

Other than completely removing the instrument cluster and unplugging all the connections to the cluster, I did not touch anything related to the airbags. Does anybody have a suggestion as to where I should start? My assumption is that I may have failed to reconnect one of the plugs properly, but I thought I'd throw this problem out there in case anyone had a suggestion. I'm also assuming I'll need to take the dash apart once more and verify that everything is as it should be.

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Advertisement

Old 6th June 2011
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: '85 SPG (11/84), '89 SPG (01/89)

I suspect you disturbed the clockspring connection. You absolutely will require someone with an ISAT or Tech 2 (dealer, well equipped indy, local Saab nutcase) to clear the code you have caused.
Old 6th June 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: Wife's 9-3

Or, if you turned the Ignition on to check your bulbs without having every part of the SRS system installed (including the light itself), you set a code that requires a Tech II to reset.
Either way, you'll have to visit a Dealer or very well-equipped SAAB independent shop to diagnose and reset.
Old 6th June 2011

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mesthene View Post
Or, if you turned the Ignition on to check your bulbs without having every part of the SRS system installed (including the light itself), you set a code that requires a Tech II to reset.
So if the light itself wasn't reconnected when re-starting, that would trigger an error code (and light up SRS once it is reconnected itself) ?

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6th June 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
So if the light itself wasn't reconnected when re-starting, that would trigger an error code (and light up SRS once it is reconnected itself) ?
Yes elkparts
Old 6th June 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Yes
While I don't remember my full sequence of events, I'm confident I did indeed turn on the car without having everything plugged in so I could check the voltage from the wiring harness and see that the bulb repair worked. Oh well. I guess it's time to pay a visit to my local indy mechanic, or the dealer if need be. Live and learn!

Thanks everyone!
Old 7th June 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 96 9K CSE, 97 9K CS, 96 9K CS, 94 9K CSE

"I had the dash apart on my wife's '95 9000 cs to correct some gauge cluster lighting issues. I think I've corrected the problem with the cluster going completely dark at random times, plus I replaced a couple of bulbs so the information screen lights up as it should. Now the SRS light is on continuously."

Maybe a stupid question but;

Is it possible that one of the bulbs you replaced was the SRS MIL?

If it was burnt out, the control module may have been activated at some point in the past. Now since a new lamp has been installed it might seem as if a new problem has developed.

I'm not being very articulate - but you know what I mean? It might have been trying to tell you that the SRS was inop for a long time. But without a functioning lamp, who would know?

Did you change this bulb?
Old 8th June 2011

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                
My Saabs: '96 9000 2.3 CSE LPT Auto

I've got the same issue with my SRS light staying on too. For my part I replaced the ignition contact switch which seems to have set it off. Battery negative terminal was disconnected during the work and I left the steering wheel alone, simply removed the shrouds and was extremely careful to not disturb any of the airbag related wiring.
I'll get the dealer to have a look during the forthcoming MOT.
Old 9th June 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengny View Post
Maybe a stupid question but;

Is it possible that one of the bulbs you replaced was the SRS MIL?
Very good question!

That bulb was fine and functioning as it should. That is until I changed the bulbs in the center info display area (miles to empty, mpg, PRND123, etc.)! I'm sure that when I was replacing those bad bulbs I turned on the ignition to see if they worked, but did not have all the other plugs connected. Hence the SRS warning light staying on after I completely reassembled the dash.

Anyway, I just came back from a local independent garage and they reset the light for me. No clue, however, what the cost will be. They'll just mail me a bill. Probably $30-$50, but that's what I get for screwing it up. Next time I'll know better! Doesn't mean I won't do something stupid somewhere else on the car, but I'm good to go when I next decide to replace a bad bulb in the gauge cluster.
Old 9th June 2011
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 06 93 2.0,93 9000griffin 92 900s LPT vrt

Quote:
Either way, you'll have to visit a Dealer or very well-equipped SAAB independent shop to diagnose and reset.
Exactly what I did!!, 1200km later after a visit to the agent it was all good.

I turned the key on with the SRS system disconnected, to check lights etc!!

However I found I also had water in the SRS ecu, so it was only a matter of time before something went bang! So I was happy I made the "mistake"!
Old 9th June 2011

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: '96 9000 CSE 2.3T @ 240ish HP

My SRS light has been on since I got my 9000... I've been told it's nothing to worry about. It could be a problem like some of you guys have with something being disconnected in the past (car had an engine swap) or a problem with the SRS itself?

How would I go about diagnosing which is it? Suppose I reset the error, will the light come back on if there is an actual problem with the SRS? I suppose it should, since the problem would still be there and the computer should still check for it... But heck do I know.

Thanks in advance :)
Old 10th June 2011
Saab Lunatic

I think the only way to diagnose the problem is to get an agent or someone with Saab Tech II to plug in and read the fault for you.

Here in NZ we can not get a WOF/MOT with the light on, so it has to be fixed or we can not take it on the road.
Old 10th June 2011

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: '96 9000 CSE 2.3T @ 240ish HP

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll go bug our club president for his Tech II again.

We have a bunch of points for MOT failure, but the SRS light is not one of them. I think. They didn't bother with it last year.
Old 10th June 2011

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: '88 Saab 9K Turbo
Garage

MOT and WOT????
Old 10th June 2011
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quickbeater View Post
MOT and WOT????
WOF in NZ is a 6 monthly vehicle inspection which you must pass to let vehicle be on the road, MOT is the UK inspection for a similar purpose (I think- UK person can correct this).
Old 3rd July 2014

Join Date: Jul 2014                                                
My Saabs: 1992 Saab 900 turbo Convertable
Cool Simple fix to blinking SRS on 1992 900 turbo

There are 2 screws on the dashboard speaker. Remove the screws, lift the speaker and pull the "bloody" light out.
Old 3rd July 2014
Saab on the Brain!

Thus ensuring your airbags and seat belt tensioners won't work. The belts are too long to be effective without the tensioners.

Last edited by Jim Mesthene; 4th July 2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: apostrophe missing
Old 4th July 2014

Join Date: Dec 2013                                                
My Saabs: 9000

Yessss. the 'explosive' seat belt tensioner gizmos are a potential grey area loss.
There are still the required (as in any other car) self lockers on the belts .. which presupposes one is capable enough to fit one's belts adequately.
My view is that the Airbags loss isn't a major problem
I've seen the carnage that the early primitive/brutish airbag contraptions caused. IMO not having those isn't as bad as words suggest.
Old 4th July 2014
Saab on the Brain!

I saw less blood in the wrecked cars towed in, after the cars got airbags.
Advertisement