My 2011 SAAB 9-5 is dead... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.II, 2010 onwards > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 2010 onwards Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th May 2011

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Saab 9-5 2.2 TiD
Angry My 2011 SAAB 9-5 is dead...

This morning I got in the SAAB 2.8T V6 XWD to go to work, pushed the starter button, and it started up and idled smooth as always.

However, when I put it into D and pushed the accelerator, the engine made a THUD noise, spluttered for about 1 second, then stalled.

I tried to restart it, but it wouldn't turn over...

I called the RAC out, as SAAB told me too in the event of a problem, the guy came over to me, and said he couldn't be sure of the problem without taking the head off, so I told him to tow it to the SAAB dealer for further inspection, as after 19,000 miles I
did not expect any issues, especially something like potential engine failure!

Anyway, he phoned me up twenty minutes ago, and told me the con-rod on piston 6 had sheared, and it would either need a new engine, or engine rebuild to run again.

I obviously expressed the fact I was disappointed in SAAB for making an engine with an obvious weakness, but he then tried to blame it on me!

He said (this is a word for word quote) - "It appears sir, that you have been operating the engine with excessive vigor, and it would not have happened if you had driven more carefully".

After that I told him where to go and hung up (perhaps not the best thing to do...), but please tell me something - would me occasionally revving the engine up to around 6,000RPM
after the run in period cause a con-rod to shear!?

Because I don't think so!

I'm heading down to the dealership tomorrow to see where to go from here, but I doubt I'll ever have full faith in the car again, even if I do get a new engine fitted.

I was, the other day, looking at my neighbour's brand new Ford Mondeo and thinking about how good it looked, and after this I think I may just go ahead and buy one!

SAAB engine - Poor

SAAB customer service - Very poor and offensive.
Advertisement

Old 19th May 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Garage

If you go Ford make it Cosworth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th May 2011

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2010 9-5 Aero

This really stinks. Very surprising to me since, according to the message board analysis I did before I bought, the 2.8 hasn't shown any consistent problems in any of it's prior applications. The only problems I saw on message boards are cracked coolant tanks (the plastic ones - probably because there's not much room in the 9-3), and occasional ignition coil problems (mostly with chipped engines). The fires in the Cadillac were caused by a power steering hose failing near the hot engine (bad Cadillac design, nothing to really do with the engine). I hope this is an isolated incident.

Stan
Old 20th May 2011

I've just came back from the dealership, and after a lot of talking (on his part), I got him to give me a full 100% refund for the car, and also promised to keep my mouth shut!

I did have my fingers crossed at the time, so I'll keep talking about it if anybody asks why I got rid of my mint condition shiny SAAB.

I have been thinking about the new 9-3, but I don't really want to shed out a lot of money for another brand new SAAB after this experience...

I'm going to the Ford dealership (which is only a few streets away, so I'll walk, and perhaps drive back!) later to see their cars.

I may go for a brand new car, but I'll probably settle for an almost new car with a few thousand miles on the clock.

I have had superb experiences with Fords before, so I know that I am in safe hands with a Ford engine!

Anyhoo, bye guys.

It is sad to look out to my driveway and just see my rusty 1994 Peugeot 1.9TD, and no shiny 2011 SAAB, but I know I would never have loved the car again if I had chosen to get a new engine.
Old 20th May 2011

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2010 9-5 Aero

That's very fair of the dealer. I don't know what the consumer protection laws are like in the UK (i.e. perhaps the law forces them to do this), but I've known a number of people whose engines failed prematurely with US brand cars who did not get a refund... some even had to argue to get the engine replaced vs. band-aid fixes. Personally, I think you're being a bit harsh, but I guess it's not really for me to say... Good luck with whatever you decide.

Stan
Old 21st May 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Vtuner Stage 0 Rev 2.0
Garage

I would have been furious as well, especially with the dealers response.

Either way, this is most definitely an isolated incident as the 2.8t is one heck of a durable engine and serious problems with this engine asides from the ones mentioned above are slim to none. This engine has been in the 9-3 since 2006 and was rated as one of Wards top ten engines.

Don't let this stop you from buying another Saab, because these isolated incidents IMO can happen in ANY car at ANY time. You just got unlucky. Good luck with whatever you plan on doing next!
Old 25th May 2011

Well, I'd better tell you guys, I'm picking up my brand new 2011 Volvo S40 6-Speed Automatic 2.5 T5 Turbocharged Saloon (Sedan) tomorrow.

But don't worry, I'll still be active on Saab Central, because I still own my 1990 SAAB 900 2.0T, and 2002 SAAB 9-5 2.2TiD!
Old 26th May 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 TiD Combi, #2 TiD Combi soon

Geez..if the dealer gives you a 100% refund why wouldnt he just give you another car?
Old 28th May 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM

PS the engine is sourced from Holden...
Old 28th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlsabe View Post
Geez..if the dealer gives you a 100% refund why wouldnt he just give you another car?
He would have, but strangely enough I didn't want a duplicate of a car that sheared a con rod!
Old 7th June 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4x

unacceptable. You paid for the redline, you bet your but youll use it.

3" Downpipe and Midpipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ3nPLrEeRk
Old 8th June 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: '09 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab900Resto View Post

SAAB engine - Poor

You will run into this with almost any car maker when an engine dies that early, unfortunately. Subaru tried to blame by engine failure (At 1,700 miles) on me even though my vin number was on a stop sale.

Kinda sad that completely turned you off from new Saabs... U know the chances of that ever happening to you again are extremely slim right?

I hope the Chinese engine in your Volvo is better
(Kidding of course)
Old 23rd June 2011

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, 2010 Saab 9-5 Aero

The dealer in Germany told me the same thing about my window motor when I bought my 2003 9-3. He said that I was deliberately pushing down on the window so that the motor would break. Unreal. Scotland, I know your pissed but keep in mind that things happen. I wouldn't base my opinion on the car because someone says your to aggressive with it. Lets see what Saab does about this first.
Old 23rd June 2011

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9 3 Vector TiD Convertible

I can barely believe the attitude of the dealership!
Whatever happened to the old adage of: "The customer is always right"?

Keep my mouth shut? Personally, I would be getting them some free advertising on the BBC Watchdog programme in case this has happened to someone else and they didn't get their money back or have ended up out of pocket.

Like others have said here, I would hesitate in blaming the product itself - it could have just been a one-off manufacturing defect.
As an aircraft maintenance engineer we sometimes see brand-new items that are designed and built to the highest of standards go unserviceable after relatively short useage. It is very rare, but it just does happen sometimes.
Old 24th June 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Wow. Your whole scenario is pretty sad.

Getting 100% of your money back after 19,000 mi. is a great deal though. I'm sure it had to had lost 20% or more of it's value. I'm surprised Saab/dealer didn't just offer a replacement. You might have some crazy laws that offer unprecedented consumer protection.

And you definitely got a lemon. As stated the 2.8 V6 turbo is a great motor. You just got a fluke. All car makers have failures like these including Toyota and MB.
I'm on my second and put 93,000 mi. on my 1st one which was an 06' 9-3 SC Aero--great car. My 09' 9-3 SS Aero XWD has 26,000 and doing fine.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 11th July 2011

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 08 9-5 93 900s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab900Resto View Post
This morning I got in the SAAB 2.8T V6 XWD to go to work, pushed the starter button, and it started up and idled smooth as always.

However, when I put it into D and pushed the accelerator, the engine made a THUD noise, spluttered for about 1 second, then stalled.

I tried to restart it, but it wouldn't turn over...

I called the RAC out, as SAAB told me too in the event of a problem, the guy came over to me, and said he couldn't be sure of the problem without taking the head off, so I told him to tow it to the SAAB dealer for further inspection, as after 19,000 miles I did not expect any issues, especially something like potential engine failure!

Anyway, he phoned me up twenty minutes ago, and told me the con-rod on piston 6 had sheared, and it would either need a new engine, or engine rebuild to run again.

I obviously expressed the fact I was disappointed in SAAB for making an engine with an obvious weakness, but he then tried to blame it on me!

He said (this is a word for word quote) - "It appears sir, that you have been operating the engine with excessive vigor, and it would not have happened if you had driven more carefully".

After that I told him where to go and hung up (perhaps not the best thing to do...), but please tell me something - would me occasionally revving the engine up to around 6,000RPM after the run in period cause a con-rod to shear!?

Because I don't think so!

I'm heading down to the dealership tomorrow to see where to go from here, but I doubt I'll ever have full faith in the car again, even if I do get a new engine fitted.

I was, the other day, looking at my neighbour's brand new Ford Mondeo and thinking about how good it looked, and after this I think I may just go ahead and buy one!

SAAB engine - Poor

Don't feel to bad about bad service and lack of respect from a SAAB dealer. I live in metro Detroit Michigan USA and the two dealers here are about as useful as your bad engine. If it were not for the fact my 9-5 is under warranty I'd never walk through the door of either place again. The roadside service is even worse yet . ( had to use it twice so far) Good luck with the new car !
Old 11th July 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1996 saab 9000 aero

such a shame, im guessing you never got your camera fixed intime to get some pics of it either? too bad.
Old 12th July 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1989 Saab spg, 2008 Aero 95

Here is a bit of info for you. The majority of cars today don't have forged connecting rods, they have connecting rods made of powdered metal. This powder is compressed under tones of pressure to make the connecting rods, even the corvette LT1 V8 engine, has this kind of rod. The thing about these rods is over time, they do fatigue like anything else and have been known to disintegrate, not always does this happen, just isolated cases. This was just a flook!
This problem you had, could very well happen even with the Volvo you just got. Personally you jumped the gun.
Old 14th July 2011

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: '11 9-4 Aero '10 9-5 Aero, '94 900S Vert

19k miles is pretty high on a 6 month old car. That's 40k a year!

Either way, I have this same car and love it and extremely proud of it. It's disheartening to hear of these kinds of things happening but I agree they probably happen on ALL cars. The engine has been in existence for six model years so your "Engine Bad" conclusion is silly.

It's also a shame that you have to throw your tantrum on here, a site that's dedicated to Saab and then crow about your new Volvo. I hope it made you feel better to lash out against not only the brand, the dealer and the entire Saab community.

And learn about font types for crying out loud..

PL
Old 14th July 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1996 saab 9000 aero

for gods sakes people, this guys a time waster. he doesnt own a saab 9-5 and has never owned a saab 9-5, i may even speculate that he's never owned a car, full stop.

he's been banned from this site under his previous username of jmurray01 when he was caught out by myself and a few other forum members BS'ing about many of the cars that he "owned".

as many of you have hinted in this thread his stories are pretty easy to see through as they just dont add up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement