Brake Booster FAQ - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th May 2011

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93 '99 154hp
Default Brake Booster FAQ

Hi, I am a trying to improve my braking power without changing the calipers, which is what everyone is doing. I have another thing in my mind.

My thoughts go in the direction that if VAG group has an EXCELLENT OEM braking system, why my much better SAAB does not have it... because mine and yours are awful, except 308mm (12in.) Viggen system. And i think our handicap is brake booster. I am "studying" ( note the quotes, please ) several info over the internet just to understand how a bigger booster would affect to car's braking power.

As i have read, 9in. booster are used on small cars, and we DO HAVE 9in. booster, in the research work i have been reading, they calculate the impact of changing booster and Master Cylinder (MC) for bigger ones and the results are simply amazing.

They measure 3 scenarios, one with 9in Booster and stock MC (20.8 mm ), then everything the same except 10inch booster and bigger MC (22.20 mm ) and the third one is with 11inch booster and another MC even bigger 23.8mm.

Max loop brake pressure are:
( front loop/ rear loop)
95/60 bar for 9in.
125/125 bar for 10in.
145/145 bar for 11in.

But not only max pressure is improved, even response time to achieve good braking pressure is lowered.

Also brake pedal feel will change, it would depend on what kind of booster do you use, it can be hardened or softened ( really doubt you can soften saab brake feel )

My question is...Ok i have more brake pressure within the loop, which means that my pads and calipers are doing a lot more pressure on the rotor to brake, but...will all the joints popup with this improvement? or it is safe to do?
How can i know the max pressure can the system handle?

Because if it is safe to do, it is cheaper to buy a new booster ( 200 for a VAG one ) and MC ( 150 ) to improve front and rear brakes than buying a complete VIGGEN brake kit ( 400 front kit and 400 rear one ) and of course a lot more cheaper than buying a full set of 4 pot calipers ( 3000 front and rear kit ?? )

I have searched and no one has ever asked to do something similar, so i do not know if what i am purposing here is like trying to paste a pair of wings to a white horse and pretend i have a Pegasus.

Javi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th May 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2000 Viggen 5-door

Unless you are racing, why do you need more braking? The brakes on these cars are excellent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6th May 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02-93 Conv. 310Hp/435Nm

J,
Go with the 95 Aero booster if that pleases you, although maybe you'll spend a lot of time and effort on something that is inherently not so bad.

Maybe cheaper to change driving habits, don't use the brakes so much, be water my friend. Have you seen Hamilton braking much?
;-)
'02-93-2.0T Conv. Maptun Stage 5. '06-95Aero intake. 3" Stainless steel downpipe & race cat. Bilstein/Eibach. ETS Intercooler-Forge Dumpvalve. 22mm ARB. Six point subframe brace. Viggen 308mm front brakes & 95Aero 300mm rear brakes. Full suspension kit, Strut bar & Steering Clamp & brace by GenuineSaab..Lots_O_Fun
Old 6th May 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 99 Viggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
Unless you are racing, why do you need more braking? The brakes on these cars are excellent!
lol are you kidding me?

my viggen feels like the brakes on a 92 geo metro after i drive my evo with STOCK brakes.
Old 6th May 2011
Saab Lunatic

lol!! Then you have a REAL problem!!
Old 6th May 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 99 Viggen

trust me i dont. the vig brakes arent even stock. the bias is crap, and they just dont stop the car well.

i imagine a 900 is even worse.
Old 6th May 2011
Saab Lunatic

Of course....I guess you're right......

I know my car just BARELY stops...I better replace the entire braking system.....
Old 7th May 2011
SaabNut!

For me it's a question of balance, I found that by changing the ineffective rear barkes by the 95 Aero's 300mm ventilated, was the best, the brake balance is better and increased brake efficiency.
'02-93-2.0T Conv. Maptun Stage 5. '06-95Aero intake. 3" Stainless steel downpipe & race cat. Bilstein/Eibach. ETS Intercooler-Forge Dumpvalve. 22mm ARB. Six point subframe brace. Viggen 308mm front brakes & 95Aero 300mm rear brakes. Full suspension kit, Strut bar & Steering Clamp & brace by GenuineSaab..Lots_O_Fun
Old 7th May 2011

Ok, anyway, thanks to all for your comments, but what i am unable to know and thats the point of making this post, is to know if:

WILL THE SYSTEM SUPPORT THE OVERPRESSURE IF Y CHANGE MY PATHETIC OVERBOOST FOR ANOTHER ONE WITH MORE DIAMETER?? OR WILL THE JOINTS BLOW AWAY?

Thanks.

And i do not care if you think your car brakes very well and we are mad becouse we think our cars do not brake at all...and i think this is not a dicuss topic...
Old 7th May 2011
SaabNut!

Want to be heard, right?

As said, it's clear it will sustain pressure equal to the Viggen/Aero 95 size, of course this also means they may blow if not in good shape.
Old 7th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromero View Post
Want to be heard, right?

As said, it's clear it will sustain pressure equal to the Viggen/Aero 95 size, of course this also means they may blow if not in good shape.

I do not want any saab overboost, i do not want poor 9-5 aero brake stuff i would like to get audi, volkswagen for example overboost, so i need to know if adding some more PSIs to the braking system would blow it away, even if it is in good shape.
Old 7th May 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: ng900 2.3

When I first drove the 900 I thought the booster was broken with how spongy the pedals feel. I mean, they stop me well now with ebc yellows and slotted rotors but I wouldn't mind a little more pressure.

they did get a little better after i bled them out but yeah. I suppose they're alright lol
Old 7th May 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

Javi,

You'll get better performance with bigger rotors and calipers. The 9-5 Aero rears will help greatly, as will changing to better pads in the front. You can also source a set of Viggen caliper carriers for far less than your quoted price.

Increasing brake booster pressure will likely change pedal engagement and feel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement