2006 SAAB 93 Aero - Rough idle and Rough when accelerating out of 50-55mph - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th April 2011

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 SAAB 93 Aero
Default 2006 SAAB 93 Aero - Rough idle and Rough when accelerating out of 50-55mph

2006 SAAB 93 Aero - 53k miles

Recent Service:
Within the last 6 months I have replaced the battery, spark plugs, and had my shop ran some sea foam through the system at the time the spark plugs were replaced.

Symptoms:

Idle is rough when stopped, almost as if the engine is trying to quit. The engine runs fine under normal power most of the time. However, when cruising down the highway at about 50-55 mph, it sputters when you gently apply throttle. If you aggressively apply throttle there is little issue.

Now, prior to the most recent service, under full throttle to pass a slower car the engine put itself into limp mode. After a shutdown and restart, no codes were thrown at the shop a few hours later. I've shut the car down a few times to eliminate the rough engine after full throttle.

Questions:

I've read up on some other threads about the rough idle issue, but wanted to get some additional input based on my issue under throttle at cruise. Typically the RPM's are low at 50-55 and it almost feels like the tranny is slipping, but the shop has assured me that's not the issue. Any guidance on where to start chasing gremlins would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th April 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Hmmmm....

Limp mode and no CEL's--that just kills me how the Bosch ME9 is so unsensitive or uncommunicative.

I've had my 06' go into limp mode due to a bad Boost Control Valve however that was under full throttle and a cel would be thrown with an overboost code. Also when the tranny would act up.

Your symptoms sound like a miss and that could possible be a bad coil pack. Have those been checked?
Or it could just be the torque converter locking and unlocking. It may appear to lug but probably not.
It doesn't sound like a tranny issue however the valve bodies have had problems on this 6 speed. Only shifting concerns however would indicate a problematic valve body.
And don't count on the TCM in the tranny to do anything. It is less sensitive than the Bosch ME9
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 28th April 2011

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector

It is time to change out your coils.
Old 2nd May 2011

I believe they checked the coils at the last service. They also checked for a vacuum leak at the time found nothing.

now I did some trouble shooting during the past week. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's in neutral or drive when stopped. It does seem to be more pronounced when the AC is on. It was running rough at a light and I switched the AC off and it almost completely stopped running rough. The RPMs also dropped to between 700-800 but it was smoother than the idle at 900ish.

Any thoughts on how the extra load on the engine from the AC might create the situation?

I read up on a few threads about the throttle body sensors going bad, which in turn messes with the ECU and doesn't send enough fuel to the system.

Thoughts?
Old 2nd May 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 arc espresso black

theres really nothing you can do to "check" the coilpacks this sounds like a coil pack symptom

i rule your internet.
Old 2nd May 2011

@ pacotaco

I appreciate the feedback and explanation. I know enough that I don't have half a clue. I'll start there and see what happens. Thanks again!
Old 2nd May 2011
Saab on the Brain!

i think the way you have to get them tested is by going to the dealer and having them hook up tech II and diagnosing it.

i rule your internet.
Old 2nd May 2011

After the test in the fall it came back with misfires in two of the cylinders. That's when we replaced the plugs as noted above. The shop specializes in Saab's but services more older models than they do late. I believe the said the coils were fine, but at $70ish a pop it's a good starting point. Better than dropping cash on a throttle body or chasing the gremlin via the tranny. Hopefully I can get it handled this week.

Aside from trouble shotting this issue for the past year and a half I love the car!
Old 2nd May 2011

My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen71 View Post
I believe they checked the coils at the last service. They also checked for a vacuum leak at the time found nothing.

now I did some trouble shooting during the past week. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's in neutral or drive when stopped. It does seem to be more pronounced when the AC is on. It was running rough at a light and I switched the AC off and it almost completely stopped running rough. The RPMs also dropped to between 700-800 but it was smoother than the idle at 900ish.

Any thoughts on how the extra load on the engine from the AC might create the situation?

I read up on a few threads about the throttle body sensors going bad, which in turn messes with the ECU and doesn't send enough fuel to the system.

Thoughts?
I ran into a similar issue with my SRT-4 (one of many issues). It turned out to be the wiring harness for the TPS (throttle positioning sensor). This was resolved by replacing the harness... and resolved after being bent over and rammed in my *** by a previous Dodge dealership

I suggest going that route... the symptons are earily similar!
Old 2nd May 2011

One more thing... It was NOT the actual TPS!

That was tested before other diagnostics were performed.

Hope this helps in some way....
Old 2nd May 2011
Saab on the Brain!

stock coil packs blow on these cars often its a common problem and they usually only need to be replaced once new coil packs for the v6 are about 34 bucks. if you had misfires i would blame your coils that are probably starting to go.

i rule your internet.
Old 2nd May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
stock coil packs blow on these cars often its a common problem and they usually only need to be replaced once new coil packs for the v6 are about 34 bucks. if you had misfires i would blame your coils that are probably starting to go.
I didn't have misfires soooooo, This would seem to be a more correct assumption...

Good Luck!
Old 2nd May 2011

I'm gonna start with the coil packs, based on individual cylinders misfiring on the original test.

I would think that if it is the wiring harness for the TPS, there would be an issue engine wide, not cylinder specific. But maybe not. The harness will be the next move if the coil packs aren't the problem.

I appreciate the feedback and breakdown!
Old 3rd May 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero JZW Tuned
Garage

coilpacks are probably the issue i have a sputtering problem at idle and stutter below 1800 rpm if i gas it... stutter til i reach about 2000 rpms then it smooths out from any gear.... missfire heaven in that rpm range. You can easily hear it if you have an exhaust. Gonna order mine today..
Old 3rd May 2011

I called to setup my appointment and threw out the coil pack theory to the head mechanic. "GM has been having coil pack issues for years" and "that's probably a good place to try next" came out of his mouth.

- Anyone have any thoughts on doing the plugs again? Any chance a bad coil would damage a plug? The plugs have about 6,000-8,000 miles on them and they the work is right there anyway?
Old 6th May 2011

So $1080 and 6 new coils later she runs smooth as silk. Thanks for the help everyone! It's really nice to have that settled after troubleshooting for so long!
Old 6th May 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen71 View Post
So $1080 and 6 new coils later she runs smooth as silk. Thanks for the help everyone! It's really nice to have that settled after troubleshooting for so long!
You spend 1k on 30 dollar coils

i rule your internet.
Old 6th May 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-3 Aero XWD SC, '92 900 T Convt

Yes, that's $180 each! Must be pricey little devils. I assume there's also some labor in there as well.
Old 29th January 2013

Join Date: Jan 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 2.0t
Default 2004 saab 9-3 2.0t w/ same issue

I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 w/ a 2.0t that had the same issues as the ones listed below...or above? My car has about 97K on it. After having this issue this morning I read all of these suggestions and comments and decided just to replace all four of the ignition coil pack(s) and my car runs better than new. So thank you all for your help, it was a very easy/quick task.

I should also add, that I replaced all spark plugs as well.

thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicflash View Post
Hmmmm....

Limp mode and no CEL's--that just kills me how the Bosch ME9 is so unsensitive or uncommunicative.

I've had my 06' go into limp mode due to a bad Boost Control Valve however that was under full throttle and a cel would be thrown with an overboost code. Also when the tranny would act up.

Your symptoms sound like a miss and that could possible be a bad coil pack. Have those been checked?
Or it could just be the torque converter locking and unlocking. It may appear to lug but probably not.
It doesn't sound like a tranny issue however the valve bodies have had problems on this 6 speed. Only shifting concerns however would indicate a problematic valve body.
And don't count on the TCM in the tranny to do anything. It is less sensitive than the Bosch ME9
Old 21st May 2014

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero convertible

Had the same problem. Saab service replaced #4 coil. All is well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement