Is this this the correct way to test a DIC (Direct Ignition Cassette) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th April 2011

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900 S 3Dr
Default Is this this the correct way to test a DIC (Direct Ignition Cassette)

Hi guys, I know its considered pretty dangerous to test the DIC's in the manner described on the saabsite, but I think i'l going to have to do it. I am about to purchase a car and I am 95% sure it doesn't start because of a bad DIC, so I am going to check out the car and test it if I can, most likely it is dead so It may not actually be that dangerous. Anyhow, understanding that it is dangerous, I want to go about this correctly and minimize problems, so I read the description and this image is what I understood as the way to go about it.

Does that seem right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th April 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

You need to ground all the plugs at the threads, then plug in the DIC and turn the engine over to check for spark. But, a faulty CPS will keep the DIC from firing.

A bad CPS may be determined by watching the tach; no movement generally points to a bad CPS. You can also take a multimeter with you to check resistance in the CPS. IIRC, 580 +/- ohms for a turbo car is a good test.

If you have spark, a little starting fluid in the throttle body should get it to fire for a second or two.

But, if you get the engine running the owner my not want to sell it... Ron
Old 25th April 2011

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900 S 3Dr

THanks for the reply '97

A couple clarifications:

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97 Saab SE Turbo View Post
You need to ground all the plugs at the threads,
Would I do one wire to each thread, or use one long wire wrapped around each thread in series as I drew in my masterpiece originally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97 Saab SE Turbo View Post
You can also take a multimeter with you to check resistance in the CPS.
I have my multimeter, set to resistance/ohms, what part of the CPS should I be touching with the ends though?

Thanks!
Old 25th April 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

The wiring doesn't matter; one long ground cable or four separate cables. The test cable in the WIS has one large alligator clip for each plug, and a fifth clip to ground on the engine/frame.

To check the CPS, remove the cable connector, rotate the connector so that the tab is up, and looking at the pins, they number 1, 2, 3 from left to right. Pins 1 & 2 should measure 540 +/-55 ohms and pins 1 & 3 should measure infinity (or an open)... Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement