Cut Losses Or Rebuild - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th January 2004

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
Default Cut Losses Or Rebuild

Hi All:

Well I've got a 87 900T, had been an excellent car since I've owned it between 145k and 186k miles. New Bosch Hall Effect Sensor :-? /Tires/Re-Wired APC-RedBox/76-Quarts of Oil/Ton's o' Fun. Anyhow lost Turbo Pressure Sunday (about 5 degrees outside-let it warm up/was driving very modestly)-figured maybe the cold. OK then Sunday evening-heard noise (bearings in muffler kinda sound)...regained oddly enough some pressure (bit o' yellow)...Monday evening on highway (NO OIL LIGHT LIT) all power dropped-coasted off highway. No Oil in car...just checked, confirmed blown turbo by dealer today. Anyhow smoke came out of the oil fill cap and all. If I blew all the oil out and engine still sounded fine-how much engine damage do you think I may have suffered...and am I beyond rebuilding the Turbo. I guess I'm up against the wall on this one. I've got a $1400 tax return and just thinking of the best way to salvage my losses or rebuild-my favorite little car. Please help I've got a 2004 Ford Focus rental car that wants to pogo-stick all over the road. It feels like I'm driving an old steel lunchbox. I've got mechanical skills and my buddy works for Upsolute Chiptuning...and has just replaced his Turbo in his 01 Jetta... Should I rebuild engine...and replace Turbo-just go for all out Mod-or will my Autotrans be the next ghost to visit my auto-nightmares...

Thanks in Advance for Any Advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th January 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                

It'll be cheaper to replace the whole engine with a 2nd hand unit. I had to do one of ours last year when one of the big ends let go, got a low mileage engine fitted by a Saab indi dealer for 500. They actually must have swapped the whole engine and gearbox plus all ancillaries with a complete unit as my steering pump stopped leaking, gearbox was tighter plus everything was clean!
Check out availability of any salvage yards nearby and any cars being broken on ebay.
Old 20th January 2004

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                

Not a bad idea. I'll start looking around...any idea on how major the engine swap is. Perhaps it'd be worth finding a manual trans as well? Seems like a lot of work but anyone who loves thier car may understand my enthuisiasm... Do you think engine could be swapped by a do-it-yourselfer? Any thoughts on whether or not the Official Saab repair manual chats about engine reuilding or swapping? :wink:
Old 20th January 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

If you swap trannies, you'll need all the interior bits as well. Doable and worth it. I'm going to be doing the same thing in a few weeks, just as soon as it warms up a little
Sponsored Links
Advertisement