T5 cam install in T7 9-5 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st April 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 00 LPT 9-5/03 9-5 Aero /NG "Frankensaab"
Default T5 cam install in T7 9-5

Has anyone done this mod on here before? how hard is it? do I need to get any special tools? any advice would be super helpful... as interested in hearing what differences it made compared to the stock cams in performance and sound....

Thanks guys,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9⁵ Aero "Griffin" JZW⁵
Garage

What mods do you already have? Keep in mind that putting in T5 cams is for a Stage III/IV+ modification. The ECU mods - especially the ones from Nordic, Maptun, JZW, BSR, etc - are all designed with certain hardware installed already. So to have a properly tuned T7 with T5 cams in it, you should already have the exhaust modified, the FPR, the king cobra inlet, the air filter, etc. (this varies between each tuning company). So your best bet is to start with the exhaust - either a good cat-back or if you want to plan on more, go for the whole 3" from manifold back.

I am running a Stage IV and I still have T7 cams in - if I wanted to go crazy, I could then do the T5 cams, green giant injectors, etc. for Stage V.

It also depends on the application. If you are going to take it to the track a lot, the T5 cams would be a good investment for the high-end increase. You will lose a bit of low-end with this mod. For street applications, the T7 cams are just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by securite View Post
Has anyone done this mod on here before? how hard is it? do I need to get any special tools? any advice would be super helpful... as interested in hearing what differences it made compared to the stock cams in performance and sound....

Thanks guys,

Matt
Old 22nd April 2011
SaabNut!

I have a 04 aero with a full 3" JT exhaust (magna flow race cat welded in), Genuine saab open air intake kit, forge diverter valve, 3.5fpr, and a jzw tune...this car is my daily drive i take good care of it just was gonna change it up a little and see what the difference might be...I actually got the cams from jonh @ jzw a while back and they have been sitting in my garage
Old 22nd April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Very nice. Ever consider getting the king cobra inlet? It makes the world of a difference, and pairs nicely with the 3" JT. Sounds like you are quite ready to put the T5 cams in - while you are at it, might as well go with the green giant injectors.

Quote:
I have a 04 aero with a full 3" JT exhaust (magna flow race cat welded in), Genuine saab open air intake kit, forge diverter valve, 3.5fpr, and a jzw tune...this car is my daily drive i take good care of it just was gonna change it up a little and see what the difference might be...I actually got the cams from jonh @ jzw a while back and they have been sitting in my garage
Old 22nd April 2011
SaabNut!

Thanks, this is my 5th saab and I absolutely love the car... for some reason I have been reluctant to buy the cobra intake pipe...what kinda gains in sound/performance are expected of the pipe? I typoed in my post it is a 03 aero
Old 22nd April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

It absolutely contributes to the gains. It is an essential part of all of the tunes from Maptun. It isn't hard to install, either.

Quote:
Thanks, this is my 5th saab and I absolutely love the car... for some reason I have been reluctant to buy the cobra intake pipe...what kinda gains in sound/performance are expected of the pipe? I typoed in my post it is a 03 aero
Old 22nd April 2011
SaabNut!

cool.. thanks for the info, I think I should start saving for that intake pipe
Old 22nd April 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarelibra View Post
Very nice. Ever consider getting the king cobra inlet? It makes the world of a difference, and pairs nicely with the 3" JT. Sounds like you are quite ready to put the T5 cams in - while you are at it, might as well go with the green giant injectors.
Don't go throwing parts in teh car without checking with your tuner, injectors need to be dialed in with your tune,. Was your tune set up to take advantage of the T5 cams? and you have not installed them yet, interesting, wondering what you lose this way.

I have T5 cams JZW tune, the car pulls like a freight train to redline ( and beyond I suspect) When you install, zip tie the cam timing gears to the chain in a couple of places each, use a stretched bungie cord from the hood to the middle of the chain between the two sprockets and remove the gear carefully allowing the tension from the bungie to pull the chain upward so it will not drop, this will keep the chain on the lower crank gear for a quick install

And the cobra is a waste until you are around 400HP.
Old 22nd April 2011
SaabNut!

awesome.... man I am excited to try them out..thanks for the tech advise.. did you notice any difference in sound or mpg?
Old 22nd April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

That is your opinion.

The cobra is included in several stages for various tuners. I put it in and I'm sure it contributes to the overall performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post

And the cobra is a waste until you are around 400HP.
Old 22nd April 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarelibra View Post
That is your opinion.

The cobra is included in several stages for various tuners. I put it in and I'm sure it contributes to the overall performance.
Actually no, not opinion on a dyno no change in HP or TQ... at least with my set up... and Genuiesaab that sells one will say the same thng, even tho they wodl love to take you $$$.

The new 06+ intake is was larger than the one from maptune/GS, I have one and will instal it with before and after dynos maybe that will be a good opinion for you .. but of course you have not posted any dyno sheets or other evidence I will beleive whatever you say..

Last edited by Jssaab; 22nd April 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 22nd April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Garage

This isn't a pissing contest about dyno sheets.

Have fun with your mods. My cobra is from ElkParts, and there was a considerable size difference between it and the stock one (which I donated to a member with an lpt and linear cobra).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post
Actually no, not opinion on a dyno no change in HP or TQ... at least with my set up... and Genuiesaab that sells one will say the same thng, even tho they wodl love to take you $$$.

The new 06+ intake is was larger than the one from maptune/GS, I have one and will instal it with before and after dynos maybe that will be a good opinion for you .. but of course you have not posted any dyno sheets or other evidence I will beleive whatever you say..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement