Parking light out in the headlight with HID - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th April 2011

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '05 9-3 Aero vert 5 sp m. LR Disco 2
Default Parking light out in the headlight with HID

Please pardon my ignorance, and I know some people actually prefer to have the little bulbs off, but I am kind of new to this car and want/like the stock look. So, I took the battery cover off, took the air tube out, took the neck of the windshield tank out, took the fuse box out of the way by way of sliding it up and to the side. Took the boot off, took the bright light bulb out. Tried pulling the wires for the lil' sucka called dead parking light. No such luck: its stuck.

MY Question: Do i really have to take the entire headlight assy out to be able to replace a stupid parking light bulb???

C'mon SAAB, you can do so much better than this crap! How much of the car do I have to disassemble to replace a burnt lightbulb? Whoever decided upon such a "design" has to be beaten with a huge huge wooden stick! The time it took me to do all this and to fail would have been sufficient to take the entire front end of my 99' 9-3 completely apart and then put it back together again. Sad, and i used to think my Discovery Series II took the cake in terms of positioning important components in impossible to reach spaces, I was wrong.

Last edited by denisk; 6th April 2011 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th April 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisk View Post
Please pardon my ignorance, and I know some people actually prefer to have the little bulbs off, but I am kind of new to this car and want/like the stock look. So, I took the battery cover off, took the air tube out, took the neck of the windshield tank out, took the fuse box out of the way by way of sliding it up and to the side. Took the boot off, took the bright light bulb out. Tried pulling the wires for the lil' sucka called dead parking light. No such luck: its stuck.

MY Question: Do i really have to take the entire headlight assy out to be able to replace a stupid parking light bulb???

C'mon SAAB, you can do so much better than this crap! How much of the car do I have to disassemble to replace a burnt lightbulb? Whoever decided upon such a "design" has to be beaten with a huge huge wooden stick! The time it took me to do all this and to fail would have been sufficient to take the entire front end of my 99' 9-3 completely apart and then put it back together again. Sad, and i used to think my Discovery Series II took the cake in terms of positioning important components in impossible to reach spaces, I was wrong.
Like the headlight bulbs, I think you have to rotate the city light bulb before removing it. I believe this is the case, however, I'm not entirely. sure.
Old 6th April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 VTuned Aero

We're talking about the small driving lights right? Pull. It will feel like you're going to pull the wires out of the socket really. The drivers side sucks to get to but you can just barely get a hand in there to pull on the wires. If you cant, just pull the front bumper and remove the headlight. I find that easier than removing everything you removed. Takes me less than 1 minute to remove my front bumper now.
Old 6th April 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: Steel Grey '03 ARC 6MT
Garage

like mentioned, just PULL HARD on the wires. if you're able to at all give it a little wiggle and it should pop no problem. yes it's stupid, but once you do it, you shouldnt have a problem doing it time and time again.
Old 6th April 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 60th Anniversary 9³

Yeah, make sure you're pulling the right wire, and yank it out. There's actually kind of a rubber brace of sorts on the wires where you can grab.
Old 6th April 2011

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '05 9-3 Aero vert 5 sp m. LR Disco 2

Thank you all! I will def. try that again (bummer with removing all 133 things again). I felt that extra rubber layer on the wires close to the socket, but my meathook hands are not suitable for such a small space. I finally gave up as pulling the wires with such a force just felt like vandalism to me: I just thought to myself, why am I hurting my new car? So I gave up.

Why did they NOT make the round opening, say, square, and larger, larger? Because a larger rubber boot would cost more fractions of a cent to GM? Whoever is the ******* that OK'd this design, I want to drag him out of his office, preferably in freezing cold, rain, snow and sleet, and dark, and watch him do the burnt bulb (5w) replacement procedure, time and time again. b-a-s-t-a-r-d!

Last edited by denisk; 6th April 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 7th April 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 SS Aero V6T Maptun Stage 1

yeah i had this problem too and I just gave up.

Best car I have ever owned!
Old 7th April 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear 2.0t

I think I saw a You Tube video showing the bulb removal with some needle-nose vise grips. With those you apparently reach in a grab it or at least the wires very close to the bulb base.
Old 7th April 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/LightingGuide/e-city.htm
Old 7th April 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 SS Aero V6T Maptun Stage 1

I notice on the older cars such as in the you tube video that the lighthing fixture configuration is slightly different than newer models and easier to access.

some older models even have this parking light in a separate housing but not on new models like my 06.

The newer models make it a real pain to change.

Maybe one day when its not raining here in NY I'll attempt again, this time with needle nose and I'll try this time to turn it out.

Best car I have ever owned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement