9-5 does not idle well....what's the problem? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st March 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5
Default 9-5 does not idle well....what's the problem?

Hi, I recently purchased a 2003 Saab 9-5 4cyl 2.3T. I took it to my local Saab dealer to get an oil change the other day. It had been having trouble idling at stop lights. It kind or "putters" and sometimes seems like it is going to "conk out" although it hasn't yet. The Saab dealer gave me a long list of things that need to be done to maintain the car and I was wondering if anyone nows what on this list may be causing the idle problem. Here's the list:

-REPLACE UPPER REAR IDLER PULLEY
-PERFORM PCV UPDATE
-REPLACE SERPENTINE BELT
-PERFORM AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUSH
-REPLACE AIR FILTER ELEMENT
-TOP ENGINE CLEAN
-REPLACE LOWER FRONT TORSION MOUNT
-REPLACE LOWER RIGHT ENGINE COVER

Any ideas which one of these things could fix the idle problem..

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31st March 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

Check and replace all vacuum lines and Check the lines to the TB. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!
Old 31st March 2011

My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5

Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome. Do you know if this is a costly job at a shop? Can I do it myself? I am not very car savvy. Sorry for the dumb questions but what are the vacuum lines and the TB?

Also not sure if it matters but the problem doesn't occur when in park. Just in drive stopped.

Thanks.
Old 31st March 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: (4) 2 01 95's; an 08 95 & a 09 93

pull your oil pan and forget the top clean. Oil pan is the most important thing you can do. Wont help your idle but neither will an oil starved motor. Read the forum on sludge tonight. And then read all of these. http://www.saabpros.com/saab/nines/ Pay particular attention to replacing your oil pump and housing. Not hard and not all that expensive. Run a can of sea foam thru your gas tank first before you start replacing a bunch of stuff. PVC update is also a must in conjunction with oil pan and pump.
Old 1st April 2011

My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoopypants View Post
Also not sure if it matters but the problem doesn't occur when in park. Just in drive stopped.
From what i've seen, if an engine is having trouble idling already it will have an even harder time once you put it in drive sitting still because of the added load put on it, so id say that just a consequence of whatever is causing the idle problem. Problems with the vacuum system on an engine will show themselves at idle when the throttle plate is closed and virtually disappear off idle. I would start looking for any vacuum leak, check the air filter, spark plugs, fuel pressure, etc. Is the Check Engine Light on?The items that the shop said needed replaced probably do, but im not sure that's your immediate problem. Although I would get all of them addressed as soon as possible.
LOOOVE that username by the way
Old 1st April 2011

My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3T

TB= Throttle body. Its the housing that contains the throttle plate and probably some sensors and hoses connected to it. Bolts onto the intake manifold or plenum.
Old 1st April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

Not hard to do at all; get about 8' of 5/32 tubing from autozone and replace the lines; the attached picture should help (hoses in the upper right) just replace all the hoses of the same size. When you get it idling properly then you can address the items on your list as well as getting the sump (oil pan) dropped and cleaned out. GOOD LUCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoopypants View Post
Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome. Do you know if this is a costly job at a shop? Can I do it myself? I am not very car savvy. Sorry for the dumb questions but what are the vacuum lines and the TB?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement