Proper Engine Oil for 2004 9-3 Arc? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Engine Oil, Lubricants & Fluids

Engine Oil, Lubricants & Fluids Discussions about engine oils and all automotive fluids

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th March 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc
Default Proper Engine Oil for 2004 9-3 Arc?

Hello everyone!

Just wanted some advice on the proper oil weight for my 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc. The manual reads 0W-30 but at the last oil change...my mechanic used 5W-30. Both of which are synthetic...is there much difference between the two? or should I be using one over the other? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th March 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Currently the Standard is Any Dexos 1 Cerified Oil, 5W30 is fine, as is 0W30 or 40. There are now several Brands which meet the spec. The previous recommendation was the GM LL A/B 025 Spec which was a rare bird. It appears GM has lowered the bar as most of the newly acceptable Oils were already on the market.

Pennzoil
Gulf
Mobil
Shell
Quaker State

and a few others now have Oils that have been on the market and meet the "New" Spec.
Old 17th March 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 ARC; 2001 9-3 SE

Are the Dexos certified oils good for older cars or just the 2011 GM Models? I see that Mobil 1 5-30w is Dexos certified, but it didn't previously meet the spec for my 2004 9-3 before. How can it (Mobil 1) now meet the spec when it didn't meet the spec before? Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 17th March 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

The Engines have not changed, The Oil has not changed, the Spec has changed which makes more Oils available. I'm an 03 pushing 120K Miles, I'm currently running Gulf GMX but will be switching to Pennzoil because it's more convenient where I now live.
Old 18th March 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Aero, I4, MT6, Maptun Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
Are the Dexos certified oils good for older cars or just the 2011 GM Models? I see that Mobil 1 5-30w is Dexos certified, but it didn't previously meet the spec for my 2004 9-3 before. How can it (Mobil 1) now meet the spec when it didn't meet the spec before? Just wondering. Thanks.
Probably Mobil didn't bother to have one more of their oils certified by GM.
Certification involves money and time.
Old 18th March 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post

Good question. JonV pretty much answered it well above

With that in mind the Dexos cert is not as stringent as the GM LL 025A spec is.
So if you want the best oil and plan on doing extended changes like up to 18,000 mi. I'd suggest using only a GM LL 025 spec'd oil.
The Mobil 1 0W40 meets that, is an excellent oil, used by the dealers, and easy to find.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 30th November 2015

Join Date: Nov 2015                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Arc 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicflash View Post
The Mobil 1 0W40 meets that, is an excellent oil, used by the dealers, and easy to find.
Thanks.

--

Is 0W40 superior to 0W30?

Any recommended specifications for the oil filter?
Old 30th November 2015
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc Vert, 2008 9-3 SS 2.0T

0W-40 Mobil 1 is the factory fill. For filters I use the AC Delco PF-458G which includes the plastic cap at about $8 from Rock Auto and other vendors.

If you live in a hot climate you may want to use a slightly thicker oil.
Old 8th December 2015

Join Date: Aug 2014                                                
My Saabs: 9-5

Many also like Rotella T6 (5w-40).
Old 16th December 2015
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2013                                                
My Saabs: 9000

0 weight oils are Basically there to enhance Fleet Mileage records for the maker.
OR if you Live & Drive in Arctic Conditions where the 0 is important for cold flow at -40 degrees.
Otherwise too much of the oil content is 'polymers' essential to boost the oils' water like viscosity to engine critical weights (20/30/40 ) once warmed.
Pointless.. even foolish as simple summary.
Old 17th December 2015

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide c View Post
0 weight oils are Basically there to enhance Fleet Mileage records for the maker.
This is incorrect.

The first number (0, 5, 10 etc.) refers to the engine oil's viscosity at startup. The second number (30, 40, 50 etc.) refers to the oil's weight or viscosity at normal operating temperatures (i.e. after it has warmed up and been driven for a short period). Therefore, the first number has little practical effect on fuel economy/mileage but has its real and greatest impact on how quickly the cold oil can circulate throughout the engine immediately upon and after startup.

The second number directly affects fuel mileage as it refers to the oil's relative viscosity during operation. The higher the second number, the greater is the resistance the oil presents to moving parts after warm-up, i.e. during operation, and the greater is the effort required to pump it throughout the engine. Accordingly, an 0W20 and 0W40 weight oil will behave essentially similar during startup (both should flow well and relatively easily at very cold startup temperatures), the 0W20 will warm-up faster than the 0W40, and the internal resistance caused by the 0W20 oil will be appreciably lower than the 0W40 oil.

Now given all that, why would anyone want an 0W40 over an 0W20? The functions of motor oil are many and varied. They must provide lubrication all the time. Lubrication generally refers to the ability of the oil to flow well and coat metal surfaces with a film that serves as a barrier between moving metal parts. The necessity of good flow is implied by the simple fact that an oil cannot lubricate a moving part if it cannot be pumped quickly to it through a complex system of passageways to reach the moving part in question (like camshafts that sit quite high above the oil sump).

Additionally, they must resist evaporation, oxidation and undue contamination and must be able to hold contaminants and dirt in suspension so that it can be filtered out during circulation through the filter. They must resist shearing down (the breaking of the long-chain molecules that provide viscosity, which is just a way of saying the ability of the oil to form a protective coating that adheres to moving metal surfaces long enough to lubricate) while simultaneously resisting the tendency to sludge.

So the answer is that, all other things being equal (like quality and design) 0W20 is superior to 0W40 in flowability at operating temperatures, has a shorter warm-up time and gives incrementally better mileage. But 0W40, again, all other things being equal, will tend to provide a thicker and more robust barrier between moving metal parts and may perform better (provide greater lubrication/protection against wear) under higher heat and pressure circumstances.

When you refer to the GM approved dexos1 and 2 standards (found on the GM Center for Quality Assurance site), the first thing you should notice is that there are NO 0W40 or 5W40 dexos1 oils (although there are some XW40 weight dexos2 oils). The dexos1 oils are all 0W20 or 5W20 or 0W30 or 5W30. I have previously on this site speculated that this standardization limitation (to 20/30 weight operating temp oils) is either mandated or encouraged by GM in an effort to help it meet increasingly stringent CAFE requirements.

The predecessor GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025 standards were primarily driven by GM's desire to set extended service intervals for it products, as well as to assist it in meeting then existing CAFE requirements. The successor dexos1 and 2 standards appear to be consistent with these same goals, with what appears to be an enhanced emphasis on helping it meet the CAFE requirements (since the previous LL-A standard encompassed XW40 oils and the dexos1 standard does not encompass such oils). The dexos standards also appear to reflect a desire on GM's part to broaden it's oil standards in such a way as to cover ALL of its products, inasmuch as dexos standards have been decreed to apply to all GM power plants save for its Duramax diesel engines that require the use of oils meeting the API CJ-4 standard.

Now what all this means in the real world is that if you had a car still under GM warranty and wanted to follow the GM maintenance schedule, you would have to use (and be able to prove you use) products that meet the applicable standard in order to preserve your rights under the warranty. If your power train warranty is no longer in effect it matters not whether your oil meets or met the GM-LL-A-05 or dexos1 standards.
Old 17th December 2015
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2013                                                
My Saabs: 9000

Erm OK..
reads as an advert though... a lot of brochure babble inherent.
Dunno about the goofy eeko-tek engines fitted to Sopels of the 21st century, however earlier Steel block Saab engines fared Much better when run on 15/40 Oils.
This was evidenced in Camshaft journal wear.

Yet again: the fascinations with Oils seems in direct inverse correlation to the $$ value of one's Vehicle.
ie: the Lower the actual $$ value.. the more fervent the Oil 'faith'
We inhabit a truly messed culture.
Old 4th May 2016

Join Date: Apr 2016                                                
My Saabs: 999-5

Had great results with ams and mobile one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement