9-5 running rough at idle & several dash lights on. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th March 2011

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 Saab 9-5
Default 9-5 running rough at idle & several dash lights on.

Just bought my first Saab today. I bought a 2000 Saab 9-5 that runs good once the rpm's are up, but runs rough at idle and the engine shakes. This car also runs better once it warms up. The check engine light is on and the abs and traction control lights are also on. This car has tons of power while I was driving it on the way home, so I'm thinking it probably just needs plugs and a throttle body cleaning.

I searched and read several posts about the above problems. A few posts mentioned the throttle body might need to be cleaned. I will have Auto Zone check the codes tomorrow. I'm also going to buy a set of stock NGK plugs for this car and replace them.

Anything the 2000 Saab 9-5 model is famous for needing fixed?

My daughter has a 1998 Mazda 626 that would throw a check engine light EGR valve error code which several Mazda forum members said usually the EGR never goes bad on those cars and it usually was always the throttle body needed to be cleaned. I cleaned out the throttle body on the 1998 Mazda and it solved the problem, the car ran better and the check engine light went off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th March 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: many

ck those codes,cleaning t-body can help a low idle,butt not a rough idle or that shaking thing.
Old 6th March 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 AERO MPS STG2

Welcome aboard! Some of the lights might be related to ABS failure, keep searching and checking FAQ, this site has a ton of information.

The check engine light needs to be confirmed by a code reader, the best would be a Tech2 by an independant garage or a dealership if you can afford it, it could be anything from a loose hose to a failing sensor to a misplaced flux capacitor nut.

"Anything the 2000 Saab 9-5 model is famous for needing fixed?"

Search the forum for 'sludge' and 'PCV#6' if your car is a four cylinder model and you will learn a bunch.
Old 6th March 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2.3T HO Manual

Welcome to Saab Central. First of all, you need to tell us more about your Saab. Is it the 4 or 6 cylinder? What is the mileage? Do you know anything about the history of the vehicle? If I was to assume that your car is the 4 cylinder,
the first thing that need to be done is dropping the "sump" or oil pan & cleaning out the pan and your oil pickup tube "screen". Pulling the Cylinder Head cover or valve cover would also be a great idea, it's simple and cheap. This service
should be considered, ***URGENT**** and some owners would argue that you should not drive the car until the sump and oil pickup screen are cleaned out.
Old 6th March 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Make sure you are runnign the correct NGK pugs ( only NGK) or you will get rough running/knock at times
Old 7th March 2011

My 2000 Saab 9-5 has the four cylinder in it. I went to Auto Zone and had them read the codes. It is showing P0340, camshaft position sensor. P1334 ignition system misfire, P1251 cold start injector short, P1212 sensing module line 2 circuit fault, and P1925 man control transmission.

ABS, traction control off and check engine lights are on the dash. Can not turn traction control light off.

Right front brake pad is down to metal, but the rotor is good. I bought a new set of front brake pads which I will install tomorrow (the rear pads were still very good). Auto Zone did not have the stock NGK plug in stock so I will buy those from another source tomorrow.

The car runs good at higher rpm's and the transmission shifts fine. Speedometer does not work.
Old 7th March 2011

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-5

ABS failure. That is the cause of the speedo, ABS and TVs lights. Cell light is a much harder issue to diagnose
Old 7th March 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 2.3t - '00 9-3 Base

Hey Moab, another welcome to the forum.

I passed through Moab years ago on an unguided rafting trip down the Colorodo! Highly recomended!!

Best of luck with your new to you Saab.

Start with the basics you'll find it all on this site.

Proper plugs, pvc upgrade, valve cover removal/ sump drop and cleaning (look for sludge if so a thurough cleaning), cps, proper oil, check all vacuum lines etc...
Do the brake pads and see if that takes care of the abs.
See how it is after the new plugs... dic could be getting tired.

I don't know enough about the codes but plenty of the members do. They'll fill you in I'm sure.

Just some thoughts
Old 7th March 2011

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-5

ABS failure. That is the cause of the speedo, ABS and TVs lights. Cell light is a much harder issue to diagnose
Old 7th March 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

You need a DI and CPS...

You need to check the Saab Codes not generic codes...
Old 7th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
That sounds very believable and I will look into it. I just bought this car for $1150.00, so I'm into it at a good price, but she needs some work. I'm impressed by this Saab though. The previous owner put about $2500.00 into new sensors and a new turbo in the last year which I have receipts on.

My daughter has a Mazda 626 with the ABS and traction control lights on the dash. On her car on the drivers front wheel the ABS electronic cable is broken completely off, so I do know what it is on her car.
Old 7th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
Welcome aboard! Some of the lights might be related to ABS failure, keep searching and checking FAQ, this site has a ton of information.

The check engine light needs to be confirmed by a code reader, the best would be a Tech2 by an independant garage or a dealership if you can afford it, it could be anything from a loose hose to a failing sensor to a misplaced flux capacitor nut.

"Anything the 2000 Saab 9-5 model is famous for needing fixed?"

Search the forum for 'sludge' and 'PCV#6' if your car is a four cylinder model and you will learn a bunch.
Sounds like my car has an ABS failure issue.
Old 7th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabllh View Post
Hey Moab, another welcome to the forum.

I passed through Moab years ago on an unguided rafting trip down the Colorodo! Highly recomended!!

Best of luck with your new to you Saab.

Start with the basics you'll find it all on this site.

Proper plugs, pvc upgrade, valve cover removal/ sump drop and cleaning (look for sludge if so a thurough cleaning), cps, proper oil, check all vacuum lines etc...
Do the brake pads and see if that takes care of the abs.
See how it is after the new plugs... dic could be getting tired.

I don't know enough about the codes but plenty of the members do. They'll fill you in I'm sure.

Just some thoughts
Pabllh

There are two roads to drive south from I-70 into Moab. The most beautiful one is road 128 which follows the Colorado River. Epic views, some nice ranches and a vineyard are all along this route. If you went down the Colorado River north of Moab then you have seen this area. I live in Utah. Moab has become a very popular destination, many people would consider it the #1 spot in the U.S. for 4x4 enthusiasts. I love going there in early spring or fall before it get's too hot.

I'm going to start fixing this Saab today. New brakes will be installed today. I may have to order the stock NGK plugs in if the local NAPA or O'Reilly auto parts does not have them in stock.
Old 7th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post
You need a DI and CPS...

You need to check the Saab Codes not generic codes...
There is only so much Auto Zone can tell me, but it was a free check while I was buying brake pads and trying to find the stock NGK plugs.
Old 7th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
Some of the lights might be related to ABS failure, keep searching and checking FAQ, this site has a ton of information.

I will search those two specific things on the forum, thanks.
Old 7th March 2011

My Saabs: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by moab View Post
I may have to order the stock NGK plugs in if the local NAPA or O'Reilly auto parts does not have them in stock.
It must just be something about Saabs. Nobody in my area carries stock NGK plugs for Saabs either. Except the dealer maybe, but who wants to pay their prices?
Old 8th March 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2.3T HO Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
It must just be something about Saabs. Nobody in my area carries stock NGK plugs for Saabs either. Except the dealer maybe, but who wants to pay their prices?
Don't feel alone, you can't get any parts for Saab's anywhere in Chicago without going to the dealer. I end up ordering everything from eEuroparts.....
Old 8th March 2011

Quote:
I went into NAPA auto parts today to buy the stock NGK spark plugs. I had the Saab owners manual with me, so I could tell them the spark plug parts number I needed. The person I dealt with at Napa said they could not get that exact spark plug due to nothing they could order or had in stock would cross reference to the NGK spark plug number in the owners manual.

This was not a completely wasted trip due to I told the guy's at NAPA what my Saab was doing and that I needed to find a shop close by who could read the codes like a Saab dealer could on this car. They referred me to a local shop and I did ask this shop if they could read the codes as good as a Saab dealer could. The shop owner said he had a $5,000.00 Snap On machine that should read the codes the same as a Saab dealer and he would read them for free.
Old 8th March 2011

Quote:
NAPA said they could not cross reference the stock NGK PFR 7H-10 spark plug number to anything in their computer system, so I did not buy spark plugs yet. This is the NGK number in the Saab owners manual for the four cylinder turbo engine.

Another post on the forum said I could use NGK BCPR7ES-11 (stock no 1095) for this 2000 Saab four cylinder engine with a turbo. Safe to do?

I did put new brake shoes on the car today.
Old 9th March 2011

My Saabs: none

NGK specifies the BCPR7ES-11 or the BCPR7EIX-11 for the 2000 model 4 cyl engine.
The first is your standard plug that will be a couple bucks each, (I've always found these work the best for 90% of all engines) the latter is the Iridium IX series that is going to be ~$8 - $12 per plug.

The key number is the 7. NGK part numbers are similar to a cars VIN, in that you can tell exactly which plug it is by reading the part number (if you know how to decode it). The number specifies the heat range, and for turbo applications that is generally the most important aspect of the plug. The heat range of the plug is determined by it's ability to transfer heat away from the electrode. Too much heat in the plug will cause detonation and/or pre-ignition. Either one in a forced induction engine will mean a quick and sometimes violent death for the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement