Convertible hydraulic cylinder replacement - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st March 2011

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: '97 900SE Talladega, '01 9-3 SE HO
Default Convertible hydraulic cylinder replacement

Anyone have the procedure for hydraulic cylinder replacement on an '01 9-3 convertible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th March 2011

In the immortal words of Ben Stein: Anyone?...Bueller?... Bueller?
Old 18th March 2011
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

Download the WIS for your car. It has an excellent section on the hydraulic top operation and replacement of components. It does not support printing so it would take many screen captures to post each page individually. Start with either a google or isohunt search, then use a torrent downloader... Ron
Old 18th March 2011

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Convertible 9-3 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97 Saab SE Turbo View Post
Download the WIS for your car. It has an excellent section on the hydraulic top operation and replacement of components. It does not support printing so it would take many screen captures to post each page individually. Start with either a google or isohunt search, then use a torrent downloader... Ron
Excuse me for being daft, but what is a WIS and how do I download it?

Thanks Mike
Old 18th March 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2000 Viggen 5-door

Workshop Information System

Saab's computer-based shop manual

You apparently can download it from the web somewhere(s). Of course, that's "illegal," but, when people want something, that doesn't matter.
Old 19th March 2011

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2 1999 9-3's, 1991 900

which cylinder are you in need of replacing? have you had the car diagnosed properly? there are a few issues i see with these. typically, when one cylinder leaks, the rest aren't far behind. I also see a lot of hose leaks. the impellers in the pump like to break too. Are your tonneau shear pins intact?
Old 19th March 2011

It's the left main cylinder. The others aren't leaking....yet. The shear pin is also intact.
Old 19th March 2011

there are a couple cotter-type pins that hold the rams to the posts on the top brackets. take out the pins on each end of the ram. wiggle the ram out of place and remove the 2 hoses on the ram. screw hoses onto new ram, refit ram, run your top a few times to work the air out of the system. you may need to check the pump reservoir too. It is located in the well behind the back seat. fold your back seat down and remove the plastic rivets holding the hard plastic cover in place. pull the carpet back and you will see a galvanized sheet-metal cover with a lot of 13mm bolts securing it to the body. remove all 13mm bolts and rotate the sheet metal plate towards the rear of the car. there is a brass plug on the reservoir that you need to remove to fill it. If it is low, as indicated by the marks on the reservoir, fill it carefully with CHF-11s power steering fluid to the full mark. lower the pump back into place and run the top a few times again. re-check the level in the pump reservoir and top off as needed.
Old 19th March 2011

Awesome....thanks for the info! What's the best position for the top to be in to gain proper access to the ram?
Old 20th March 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: Red 9-3 'vert

Sorry, I disagree with the "use CHF-11S power steering fluid".

Don't do this, you'll find the cylinder seals leaking soon after. I know because I did this.

Saab only recommends Saab convertible top fluid, which is a special hydraulic fluid. It is thicker than CHF-11s.

People have used hydraulic pump oil and transmission fluid.

I used the saab fluid mixed with Haynes Hydraulic stop leak. I have since moved on to a mix of the haynes and hydraulic jack oil which seems to work well. Leaks are at a minimum and I'm satisified. The transmission fluid might be working for some because it has chemicals for the seals in transmissions. I chose to go with the Saab fluid and then the hydraulic jack oil, which looked to be pretty much the same.

Sorry if I offended you Keith. It's just that I had bad luck with the CHF-11s.
Old 21st March 2011

no offense taken. everyone has an opinion and that is about the best we can hope for. Half the time, wis is either wrong, misleading, or just doesnt have the information. this isnt a science. Sounds like good advice to me. use the regular hydraulic fluid then. I think chf-11s is too thin myself, but havent noticed any ill effects from using it. these rams leak regardless, but the thicker hydr. fluid could be the better choice. i cant think of any way it could hurt.

as for what position to put the top in, you will want the 5th bow (trunk bow) to be up. this will give you the best access. I have also had to remove the rear, interior trim panels on a few to access certain hose fittings, but you shouldnt have to do this.
Old 21st March 2011

just did a quick search and found that you want to use PN 93165227. looks like it is about $40 for a 500ml bottle from your local saab dealer. cant find a substitute yet...
I may have been originally been mistaken about the hydraulic oil for your car. I know that the newer 9-3ss convertibles use chf-11s. my bad. I swear we used p/s fluid, but I am obviously on crack or something. sorry. thanks for the correction Mike.
Old 21st March 2011

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...px?id=93165227

they have changed the bottle and part number since I was at the dealership. used to be a metal can.
Old 11th April 2014
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: '99 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_9-3Mike View Post
Sorry, I disagree with the "use CHF-11S power steering fluid".

Don't do this, you'll find the cylinder seals leaking soon after. I know because I did this.

Saab only recommends Saab convertible top fluid, which is a special hydraulic fluid. It is thicker than CHF-11s.

People have used hydraulic pump oil and transmission fluid.

I used the saab fluid mixed with Haynes Hydraulic stop leak. I have since moved on to a mix of the haynes and hydraulic jack oil which seems to work well. Leaks are at a minimum and I'm satisified. The transmission fluid might be working for some because it has chemicals for the seals in transmissions. I chose to go with the Saab fluid and then the hydraulic jack oil, which looked to be pretty much the same.

Sorry if I offended you Keith. It's just that I had bad luck with the CHF-11s.
Actually they discontinued the original fluid. Now the current Convertible fluid is CHF-11S. So either they want everybody's convertible to be destroyed, OR it CHF-11S is safe to use in the convertible... Im hoping for the latter because I had no choice but to top it off with CHF because they discontinued the original convertible fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement