Program Remote Keyless Entry fobs - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th February 2011

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: `96 9000 CSE 2.0LPT
Default Program Remote Keyless Entry fobs

Hi - I've found a couple of very old posts regarding programming replacement key fobs, but they both seemed to be ambiguous.

I didn't get a key fob when I purchased my `96 9000 (the previous owner told me the original was broken and he threw it away), so I purchased a replacement online. The lights on the replacement work fine.

Should the "30 seconds after installing batteries" button trick work with my replacement remote? If not, is there anyway to program the key fob without dealer/TechII support?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th February 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Aero manual

I don't see how you can make a stranger's key fob match the different car. If you could then anyone with a SAAB 9000 key fob could steal your car.

It must be possible to obtain a replacement key fob and so a dealer must be able to match the "new" fob to your car. You cannot do this though.

I wonder if the old "broken" fob just needed a new battery. Never, ever throw this stuff away.
Old 19th February 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900T16s

Superaero is dead right, previous owner to me bought a 2nd hand fob and then used the original single fob to "tune in" I guess to the original fob. I have been digging round for info too and it seems unless there is at least one fob to "take off" then matching to the car can't be done.
Doesn't explain how you can still use it though!! Only thing I can think off is the ECU has been altered so it doesn't have the VSS active.
Old 20th February 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 96 9K CSE, 97 9K CS, 96 9K CS, 94 9K CSE

As long as there is a VSS module (any module, from any vehicle) plugged in, the car will start and run as normal.

The central locking system will work normally from the door locks.

And, after doing the following procedure, the alarm system will arm/disarm locally (using the key in the door locks):

Pull and replace fuse #19. Be sure that the interior light switch is set to normal (i.e. position #1, doors open lights on).

Open the drivers door, get out and close it.

Insert key into the door lock and (quickly) rotate it CCW (3) three times and then once CW.

The doors will lock and the LED next to the drivers side dash speaker will begin to flash.

The alarm system will be armed and can be disarmed by unlocking the doors.

Unfortunately (without the use of the ISAT), I have not found any method of matching a fob transmitter to a VSS. With an ISAT however, it takes about a minute to get the VSS to accept the frequency of the "alien" transmitter. After that, the fob will arm/disarm the VSS and operate the door locks normally.
Old 21st February 2011

Well...the plot thickens. I took the "new" (used from eBay) remote to a couple of different shops today, both of whom had Tech2.

The first insisted it wasn't possible to program a used remote to the car without already having a remote that had the code. He insisted that if no remotes were available, the only option was to buy a "brand new" remote fob from Saab ($$$) and have it matched to the car.

Not believing this to be the case, I went to a second shop--wasn't sure if they'd have a Tech 2 computer, but it turned out they did--and this mechanic was much more willing to hook up to the car with his Tech 2.

We thought the remote programming would be under vehicle security on the Tech2 handheld. However, when we went to the "vehicle security" menu it didn't connect to anything. I don't believe I have any VSS system installed in this vehicle. There is no light installed on the dash near the driver's side speaker. There is an aftermarket security system (no idea on remotes or connections on that--it's a separate story) under the steering wheel near the central locking module.

So...here's the question...do you have to have VSS in order to have remote keyless entry? Is it possible that this car never had a factory fob? I thought all 9000s had remote keyless entry--even if they didn't have the security system?

Thoughts?
Old 25th February 2011
Saab Lunatic

Sorry, thought you knew for sure that there was a VSS installed. The ISAT menu will stop at vehicle security if there is no VSS to ping.

If there one, it would be located under the dash vent on the RH side. To service, drop the fuse panel and relay rack for best access. It is about 4" X 4" secured with two screws and one pop-rivet. The harness connector is a 25(?) pin plug and the exposed face of the module is yellow.

But if you just want to determine if it is installed, pry the RH dash vent out and look down.

If it is there (and functional/plugged in), it can be matched to any OEM remote keyless transmitter. Just did one last week. Used fob from one car and a VSS from another (and neither were native to the vehicle that they ended up in).

When the ISAT sees the VSS, it will instruct you to press the button on the fob. From then on, the VSS will receive commands only from that transmitter.

Last edited by chengny; 25th February 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 26th February 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: MY98 9000 CSE B234R

Does the fob look like this?

If so, it is likely to be the dealer optional Cobra alarm. Instructions to recode the fob are on here, I put them on several years ago. These alarms were also fitted to mitsubishi's of a similar age. That would also explain why it doesn't have VSS as these alarms don't use VSS, so it was disabled.
Old 26th February 2011
Saab Lunatic

But if the VSS module is still under the dash (and you have access to an ISAT tool) it can be done. To make the system functional is a quick procedure. These are the steps to "marry" the transmitter in the fob to the receiver in the module:

Remote control unit LED's flash but anti-theft alarm does not respond

The remote control may be incorrectly programmed. Proceed as follows to make sure the remote control is programmed for the car:
1.Connect the diagnostic tool.2.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.3.Select "Anti Theft".4.Select "Programming".5.Select "Remote Control".6.Select "Program remote control" and press one of the remote control buttons.
-Anti Theft without VSS (all US/CA): If the remote control is programmed, the diagnostic tool will display "Remote control already programmed", otherwise, the programming will be carried out.
-Anti Theft with VSS: If the remote control is programmed, the diagnostic tool will display "Remote control already programmed", otherwise, the remote controls that have been programmed for the anti-theft alarm in question must be de-programmed with the command "Deprogram all". After this, all the remote controls intended for the antitheft alarm in question must be reprogrammed with the command "Programming".
Important All the customer's remote control units must be available.

7.Carry out a function check by terminating the diagnostic communication and turning the ignition switch to the OFF position. Then, press the left button on the remote control 5 times in succession to synchronize it with the theft alarm control module.

Warranty/Time Information
Failed Object: 38350
Fault/Reason code: 62
Location code: 9
Warranty Type: 01
Repair/Action code: 01
Labor Operation (US): Straight time 0.2 (CA: R9995, 0.2 hrs.)

Last edited by chengny; 26th February 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 6th March 2011

The remote I bought doesn't look like the photo...I bought a factory (used) remote. No, there's no VSS module installed in the car. I never had the original remote--the guy I bought the car from just told me it had a remote that broke. I assumed it was factory.

So I'm clear....no VSS=no factory remote keyless entry?

There IS an aftermarket (alarm system installed under the driver's kick panel right below the central locking module. If I can get a camera under there, I'll take a photo. It appears to be a locally (Brescia) made unit. I don't have instructions for it though. Additionally, it appears to be connected to a switch controlled by a key; switch is mounted to the side of the battery tray. I don't have a key or a manual to this "alarm."

Guess I re-sell the transmitter if it won't ever work...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement