Aero Front Bumpers???? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th January 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-5
Question Aero Front Bumpers????

Im looking at getting my car repainted and im looking into bumper options, i have a 2002 9-5 aero. Im just wondering what other year aero bumpers with bolt right on, as i wanna upgrade my headlights to the Xenon projector headlamps (just have to find some in us or cnd dallors) thanks for the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

02 aero bumper is the same jsu thas the aero lip spoiler. 04-05 aero bumper will fit without modification. HIDS are available for 02, will fit right in hope that helps

Last edited by Jssaab; 25th January 2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: thanks for the catch mt
Old 25th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02 9 Aero, '89 900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post
04-05 aero bumper will fit without modificaition.
fixed that.

For your car, you dont have to upgrade the bumper to switch to the xenons. They will bolt right in to your 02 front end so long as they are from 02-05 years. They 04-05 aero bumper will bolt right on as well.
Old 25th January 2011
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

But won't he also need the level sensors and is the wiring harness different?
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 25th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 9-5 View Post
But won't he also need the level sensors and is the wiring harness different?
I just meant that the xenons fit the bumper.

You are spot on though. Pretty sure you need a tech2 when you add the sensors and whatnot as well. Thanks for adding that. Its a pretty expensive endevour when you think about two sensors and two xenons plus running all the wire. Brand new, it would probably run you around $2000. Now Im sure you could purchase used for much cheaper.
Old 25th January 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 linear
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
I just meant that the xenons fit the bumper.

You are spot on though. Pretty sure you need a tech2 when you add the sensors and whatnot as well. Thanks for adding that. Its a pretty expensive endevour when you think about two sensors and two xenons plus running all the wire. Brand new, it would probably run you around $2000. Now Im sure you could purchase used for much cheaper.

I have fitted an aftermarket Xenon kit into my 03 linear sedan with the hopes that I can someday upgrade my headlamps to the projector style housing.. Do I need the level sensors and whatnot if all i'm doing is bolting them on?
facebook.com/groups/saabtx/
Old 25th January 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 HOT
Garage

Here's fatship's thread on doing the upgrade. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49794
Old 25th January 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrantradio View Post
Here's fatship's thread on doing the upgrade. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49794
that is the 04-05 aero on a 2000, you wil need to modify the bumper brace ( cut it a bit) to get it to fit
Old 26th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornfromjets03 View Post
I have fitted an aftermarket Xenon kit into my 03 linear sedan with the hopes that I can someday upgrade my headlamps to the projector style housing.. Do I need the level sensors and whatnot if all i'm doing is bolting them on?
In short, yes. You will have to scrap your aftermaket HIDs since they wont work with the xenon housings. Its an entirely different light setup. I can go into detail if you want.
Old 26th January 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 V6 Stage 3 :)

Please go into detail because I would like to put 02 9-5 aero projectors on my 01 9-5 SE.
Old 26th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbriansg36x View Post
I would like to put 02 9-5 aero projectors on my 01 9-5 SE.
I was going to make a snarky comment and decided not to.
Old 26th January 2011

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Aero

04-05 aero bumpers are by far my fav. if you can score the headlights from the same year if they fit that would be a sweet upgrade
Old 26th January 2011
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete95t View Post
If you can score the headlights from the same year if they fit that would be a sweet upgrade
All the 02-05 headlights should be fine
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 26th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbriansg36x View Post
Please go into detail because I would like to put 02 9-5 aero projectors on my 01 9-5 SE.
Ok, for starters, the aftermarket HID setup you bought is based on a halogen bulb and its wiring. The factory xenon lights use a D1S bulb and its a completely different design than what you bought. In other words, you couldnt put your halogen type HID bulbs in a xenon unit. It also requires different wiring since the xenon lights perform more functions than a halogen setup. In particular is the leveling system. This is run by a motor in the xenon headlamp unit that will tilt up and down based on the level of the road you are on (up a hill or down) and also based on how much of a load you have in the car.

Also, since the xenons are bi-xenon, it also performs the actions required to change from low to high beams while using the same HID bulb. In this case, the motor tilts the housing and moves a shutter out of the way.

To make all this leveling work, there are two level sensor on the car. One in front and one in back. These send data to the control unit on the bottom of the xenon unit and then to the motor to move up or down. Without them, the default location is tipped all the way down. I have had this happen and it will shine light about 30ft in front of the car. Not cool.

To sum it up, you need all parts of the xenon system to get the lights to function properly.
Old 26th January 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 linear
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
Ok, for starters, the aftermarket HID setup you bought is based on a halogen bulb and its wiring. The factory xenon lights use a D1S bulb and its a completely different design than what you bought. In other words, you couldnt put your halogen type HID bulbs in a xenon unit. It also requires different wiring since the xenon lights perform more functions than a halogen setup. In particular is the leveling system. This is run by a motor in the xenon headlamp unit that will tilt up and down based on the level of the road you are on (up a hill or down) and also based on how much of a load you have in the car.

Also, since the xenons are bi-xenon, it also performs the actions required to change from low to high beams while using the same HID bulb. In this case, the motor tilts the housing and moves a shutter out of the way.

To make all this leveling work, there are two level sensor on the car. One in front and one in back. These send data to the control unit on the bottom of the xenon unit and then to the motor to move up or down. Without them, the default location is tipped all the way down. I have had this happen and it will shine light about 30ft in front of the car. Not cool.

To sum it up, you need all parts of the xenon system to get the lights to function properly.

Thanks for the explanation mt.aero!
facebook.com/groups/saabtx/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement