Upgrade for Td04/injectors - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9000 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9000

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th January 2011

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
Default Upgrade for Td04/injectors

Ok So I picked up a Td04-15t off ebay that was listed as rebuilt..(Turned out to be trashed and needs rebuilt). So I am looking at this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-...Q5fAccessories
What are your opinions? Also My stock exhaust manifold has the Round T3 flange where as the original t-25 turbo uses the rectangular T3 flange. Just curious about this mismatch? The Td04 uses the round exhaust so it matches but it seems really restrictive compared to the T25's?

As for injectors im looking at these http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1587 Opinions?

Any knowledge of a successful conversion from T5 BPC to T7 BPC for the early 93 5.2trionic systems?

Also the talk about removing the balance shafts ? Pro's? Cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th January 2011

Oops i linked the wrong thing. This is what I ment for the upgrade. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TD04-...mZ280603997319

Where is everyone or does no one have knowledge on these subjects?

Cars a 12/92 T5.2 9000 CSE FPT 5spd

Last edited by TwinScrewPGT; 12th January 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 13th January 2011

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinScrewPGT View Post
Ok So I picked up a Td04-15t off ebay that was listed as rebuilt..(Turned out to be trashed and needs rebuilt). So I am looking at this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-...Q5fAccessories
What are your opinions?
could be a useful upgrade, but it'll still need to be balanced and assembled. Chances are you could probably get your wrecked turbo rebuilt (maybe upgraded too) for that kind of price.....

Quote:
Also My stock exhaust manifold has the Round T3 flange where as the original t-25 turbo uses the rectangular T3 flange. Just curious about this mismatch? The Td04 uses the round exhaust so it matches but it seems really restrictive compared to the T25's?
slightly confused here, some pictures may help......
your old T25 will most likely have used the rectangular T25 flange - this is smaller than the rectanglular T3 flange sometimes found on older 9000's.
If you have a circular hole inside a T25 bolt pattern, the turbo could have been mis-described and actually be from a 9-5

Quote:
As for injectors im looking at these http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1587 Opinions?
a bit overkill, the 60lb (630cc) injectors have been used over here in the UK, and need a little bit of fettling to ensure decent cold start and a steady idle. Unless you're planning to run the car on E85, I'd go with the 60lb and a re-map.

Quote:
Any knowledge of a successful conversion from T5 BPC to T7 BPC for the early 93 5.2trionic systems?
not from me I'm afraid.......have you had a look on ECUproject?

Quote:
Also the talk about removing the balance shafts ? Pro's? Cons?
pro's: less rotational mass, therefore better acceleration and/or fuel economy
con's: more vibration, oil passageways need blanking off
9000 CS Carlsson
Old 13th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by McVities View Post
could be a useful upgrade, but it'll still need to be balanced and assembled. Chances are you could probably get your wrecked turbo rebuilt (maybe upgraded too) for that kind of price.....
WRong link. I ment to post just the housing and wheel. (in 2nd post)

Quote:
slightly confused here, some pictures may help......
your old T25 will most likely have used the rectangular T25 flange - this is smaller than the rectanglular T3 flange sometimes found on older 9000's.
If you have a circular hole inside a T25 bolt pattern, the turbo could have been mis-described and actually be from a 9-5

Ok, My exhaust manifold has the T25 bolt pattern with the round hole. The Garrett that came off had the rectangle port on the turbo. (MISMATCH <)

Now the ebay td04 has the same port as my exhaust manifold (Round) Seemed a bit odd that the factory would mis-match like that?

Quote:
a bit overkill, the 60lb (630cc) injectors have been used over here in the UK, and need a little bit of fettling to ensure decent cold start and a steady idle. Unless you're planning to run the car on E85, I'd go with the 60lb and a re-map.
Well I have a guy near me that does tunes for people 1,2,3 and in-house dyno tunes, which is what ill be doing just want to get the car ready for say a stage 4ish tune.

Quote:
pro's: less rotational mass, therefore better acceleration and/or fuel economy
con's: more vibration, oil passageways need blanking off
By the blanking off you mean? blocked off?

Last edited by TwinScrewPGT; 13th January 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 16th January 2011

Quote:
WRong link. I ment to post just the housing and wheel. (in 2nd post)
ah right.....doesn't look too bad, but you'll still have to get it built into your turbo then balanced - won't be overly cheap. Also, a lot of turbo rebuilders (or other craftsmen for that matter) prefer to use their own-sourced parts.

Quote:
Ok, My exhaust manifold has the T25 bolt pattern with the round hole. The Garrett that came off had the rectangle port on the turbo. (MISMATCH <)

Now the ebay td04 has the same port as my exhaust manifold (Round) Seemed a bit odd that the factory would mis-match like that?
like I said, I'm having a little trouble getting it straight in my head exactly what you have.....some pictures would be a great help.

As I understand it, the 9000 came with 2 variants of rectangular flanges - T3 on the early and then T25 on the later models (including the Aero TD-04).
Here's a comparison of the T3 vs T25

The T3 manifold is also quite different from the T25

With the later GM900, 9-3 and 9-5 a T25 flange was used, this one was circular not rectangular......but never fitted to a 9000

Quote:
Well I have a guy near me that does tunes for people 1,2,3 and in-house dyno tunes, which is what ill be doing just want to get the car ready for say a stage 4ish tune.
the 60lb injectors are good for ~500bhp, the bigger ones will be harder to set up and map for good idle and a bit overkill for stage 4.

Quote:
By the blanking off you mean? blocked off?
yup. There's divided opinion on whether to remove the balance shafts completely or not, more work is involved to take them out. It has been done before, have a search on here.
9000 CS Carlsson
Old 16th January 2011
#1 Super Guy!

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 93 C900T vert, 95 9K Stg3+, 96 GOOSE

I'm guesingg you have a 1992-3 year 9K correct? If so, and you want to run a TD-04, you should just be able to bolt it up and bend some oil lines. If you have redtop injectors, you don't need to upgrade, those will flow just fine. As for just getting the turbine and housing, that is a waste of money. You don't need the cold side housing I'm sure (they never get trashed). If anything, get the full "core", that way it will be balanced already, or pick up another "rebuilt" or used turbo. The TD-04's from the Aero are incredibly durable, more so than their Garett counterpart. Mine is second hand from a kid who drove the piss out of the car, and it has over 200k on it and I boost 20PSI multiple times a day!

Tom
Old 24th January 2011

ok.. the last pic you showed was a t25 flange with the round port.... which is what is on my car factory.(Exhaust manifold) Now my factory T25 turbo... was t25/rectangle port. Now the new turbo that im rebuilding/upgrading has a t25/round port.. So the route im going the flanges are matching now..vs FACTORY mismatch.
Ill be rebuilding the turbo/upgrading then sending out for balancing which will run me $65. Any ideas on an optimal intake pipe size? 2 1/2 seem like overkill?
I will be going with the 60lb injectors.
Should I purchase a heftier Wastegate Actuator?
Anyone ever make their own exhaust manifold to relocate the turbo to the air filter side of the engine bay...? Im doing this now. Just need to find a decently priced collector and buy some bends. Ill get pics when ever the weather permits me to even think about walking outside.
Old 25th January 2011

hmmm.......unusual that.....round T25 manifolds.

If you have a TD-04 with a round T25 flange, it may well be from a 9-5 and have the #5 turbine - would be worth getting the part numbers checked. If it is the #5 it will be more retrictive and limit your top-end power much more than the #6 would.

2.5" intake sounds fine.....upstream of a turbo it doesn't make too much difference how big you go, just as long as it's not narrow or has many restrictive bends.

Quote:
Anyone ever make their own exhaust manifold to relocate the turbo to the air filter side of the engine bay...? Im doing this now. Just need to find a decently priced collector and buy some bends. Ill get pics when ever the weather permits me to even think about walking outside.
don't bother with the hassle of making a manifold, just use the GM900/9-3/9-5 manifold........it's designed to hold the turbo the opposite way to the 9000. I'm about to use it on my 1990 9000, and it all fits like a charm - gives much more room for the downpipe too. You will need some custom oil/water lines though.
9000 CS Carlsson
Old 29th January 2011

Its almost complete.. Very simple actually. I just scanned a gasket into AutoCad and had it cut(manifold flange).. some simple stainless bends + my tig skills and now im just waiting on a collector/flange to get here then ill be all done. As for oil/cooler lines a local speed shop has me setup with stainless braided stuff.
Old 30th January 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 2.0,93 9000griffin 92 900s LPT vrt

As for T7 on a 5.2 ecu.

It is certainly doable, but a little more fiddly than on a T5.5.

If you have a perfectly good T5 APC/BPC valve then there is really no need.
But if the T5 BPC goes faulty then it is a worthwhile mod, the T7 BPC is so much cheaper. See my signature, I have done this mod on my 97 CD.
Advertisement