Key not accepted (immobilizer failure) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd December 2010

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Saab. 4DR
Default Key not accepted (immobilizer failure)

So I have been doing some work to the inner and outer tie rod of the driver side. Just finished today so I put the battery back in the car and I get the alarm sounding. But the positive cable came off the battery and the alarm stopped. Now I put that postive cable back it says the following.

First screen:

Key not accepeted
Contact dealer.

When I press the panic button and only the panic button I get:
immobilizar failure. Try started your car, contact dealer.

Anyway I put the jey in but nothing happemns

any info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Nocturne Blue 9-3ss Linear
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by utc18 View Post
So I have been doing some work to the inner and outer tie rod of the driver side. Just finished today so I put the battery back in the car and I get the alarm sounding. But the positive cable came off the battery and the alarm stopped. Now I put that postive cable back it says the following.

First screen:

Key not accepeted
Contact dealer.

When I press the panic button and only the panic button I get:
immobilizar failure. Try started your car, contact dealer.

Anyway I put the jey in but nothing happemns

any info?
Try inserting the key, but don't start the car yet, hold the ulock button on the key for 10 seconds, remove the key, and try the trunk button. If the trunk opens, close it, get back in the car and try starting it.

Do you get the wheel lock disengage sound when you first insert the key?
Old 24th December 2010

no sound when i put the key. wheel is free it is not locked.
and I did what you said trunk didnt open. the only key that does anything is the panic key but when it panic I click the unlock and it stops panic.

I had the battery out for couple of days is that the problem?

what else can I do?
Old 24th December 2010

Default o

ok the panic button works. When I hold it down for 4 seconds it beeps and lights go on. I click it again or any key on the remote it stops.

Now I unplug the battery again and replug it. I go in the car it says key not accepted. I click unlock button 5 times nothing happens. I put the key in the ignition. It says again key not accepted and flashes the red bulb on the front dash 3 times.

I tried your method but it didnt work

Also when I unplug the battery replug it and it says key not accepted but when I click the panic button couple of times I get the immobilizer failed error.

What could have happened.

-battery was inside my house for 3 days.
-Car was on jackstands for 3 days
-I changed inner tie rod. kept hitting the crap out of it to get it out
- I torched the inner tie rod
-I had the handbrake up all this time.

Will any of this be the reason of whats going on?

Went to get battery check and they said battery is fine.
Old 24th December 2010

One more thing I forgot to mention.

Before I started working on the car. I locked the car and removed the battery for 3 days it was locked without the battery and I was doing work under the car.

Now when I put the battery back the alarm went on. I clicked the unlock button and the car unlocked. but then again the key not accepted message came up after that.

Im just trying to mention everything that happened because this is driving me crazy.

BTW. is it normal for the steering wheel not to lock?
Old 24th December 2010

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear 2.0 Sport

This is similar to my issue with my Ignition Switch Module going out. Seemed like it was a combination of failing hardware (ISM and Steering Column Lock) as well as a low battery. Not exactly the same, but similar. Search for Ignition Switch Module and you'll find a lot on that. Best thing to do, haul it into a dealer and have them hook it up to a Tech II device. That will likely narrow down the problem, cost me $100 just to get mine checked out and to clear out the errors. All in all cost me $115 for a new ISM, $100 for Diagnosis, $770 for an Steering Column Lock (installed); grand total: $985. I charged my battery and topped it off with distilled water and that seems to be working correctly so no cost there (yet). Merry Christmas to me, but at least I have a car.

-Alex
Old 24th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady

How did they check the battery?

Have you tried your spare key?

No need to press buttons on the remote my aero was without a battery for a week in june of this year,just reconnected it,put the fob in the ism left it there without turning it for 30 secs allowing to resync,took it out,put it back in,off i went

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..
Old 24th December 2010

I got it. I kept doing combination of removed battery pressing buttons. and It finally worked.
Old 18th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '05 arc vert

I have just finished removing my ignition module for cleaning but am now getting the SID warning 'key not accepted- contact dealer', and the keys will not turn. I have tried the suggestions noted on this thread with no luck, I just get 2 flashes from the markers. The steering wheel is not locked. The remotes will lock and unlock the doors but not the trunk. Any more thoughts?

note: I cleaned the ignition module because the car was not starting at times and my battery and starter connections and grounds seem fine.

Last edited by BRob2; 18th June 2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 3rd December 2012

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRob2 View Post
I have just finished removing my ignition module for cleaning but am now getting the SID warning 'key not accepted- contact dealer', and the keys will not turn. I have tried the suggestions noted on this thread with no luck, I just get 2 flashes from the markers. The steering wheel is not locked. The remotes will lock and unlock the doors but not the trunk. Any more thoughts?

note: I cleaned the ignition module because the car was not starting at times and my battery and starter connections and grounds seem fine.
I'm in the same situation. Did you find a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement