Help with 2000 9-3 Transmission Fluid - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16-12-10

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3
Default Help with 2000 9-3 Transmission Fluid

Hi There...

I've just purchased a 2000 Saab 9-3 automatic. Very happy with the car!

It's time to do a transmission fluid change. I've done my internet best to research the type of fluid. From my very limited understanding, I am to use Dex III, as it is a 4spd automatic. Only 2002 onwards use the ATF 3309. The owners manual also specifies Dex III.

I go to the previous owners Saab mechanic where the last transmission fluid change was done 3 years, 40,000 miles ago, and they tell me that they use ATF 3309.

What should I do?? Should I do the fluid change then with the 3309 to keep the fluids the same, or can I switch to Dex III ?? I'm not sure about compatibility, or what to do in this case....??

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-10
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9³SE, 1990 900 16v n/a

Hi saabnormal,

3309 is a mineral fluid designed specifically for Aisin-Warner 5-sp automatic transmissions. Our A-W 4-sp transmissions are completely different animals. IMO, you're better off using Dex III mineral than 3309.

The next "step up" would be Dexron VI, since it's a semi-synthetic. But, it's viscosity is thinner than Dex III so I'd be concerned about proper transmission function using it. It also costs as much as a full syn, which is ridiculous. I'm a big fan of fully synthetic fluids.

The stuff I prefer to use is Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic ATF (or Amsoil's full syn ATF). Most people recommend three drain-&-fill operations to exchange the majority of your old fluid. Do them on separate weekends to get each change into the transmission itself.

My opinion is, do the first two changes with Dex III mineral ATF, then do the 3rd/final change with Mobil 1 syn ATF. That'll give you 50% syn & 88% (total) new fluid. Then do one more change 10k mi later with full syn, & one more change another 10k mi later with full syn. From that point, you can do normal (single) changes, with full syn, on whatever schedule you like.
Old 19-12-10

Or... thanks Eiron!!

I would just like to clarify before I get started. I believe based on what the mechanic told me, that he uses 3309 for all fluid changes. If there's 3309 already in the car, would there be compatibility issues with mixing the dex III with 3309, then finally adding the ATF synthetic?
Old 19-12-10
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                

I took mine to the dealer and had them do a power flush.

2000 Viggen

1993 Mazda RX-7 "It ain't stock"

I live in a high test world...
Old 20-12-10
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9³SE, 1990 900 16v n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabnormal View Post
... If there's 3309 already in the car, would there be compatibility issues with mixing the dex III with 3309, then finally adding the ATF synthetic?
Hmm, that I don't know. From reading the 3309 product data sheet, I wouldn't think you'd have any problems, but they don't really talk about mixing fluids on those data sheets. You might ask the mechanic if he does a drain & fill or a flush when he puts in the 3309. A drain & fill would've mixed new 3309 with old Dex III, so if that's what he did on your car then you should be able to safely do the reverse. A flush would've replaced all of the fluid at once, so you won't know if mixing is OK in that case.

You could also try calling a Saab dealer & asking them. My local Saab dealers are all idiots, but I know some people have good dealers they rely on. You could also try an Audi dealer; they might know more about the cars they sell & service. The current TT & A3 use 3309 in their A-W 5-spd automatics, but I don't know what they used before.
Old 21-12-10

Eiron...

Because the car is new to me, and not being 100% sure about fluid compatibility, I decided to spend the money for the fluid flush and replacement Dex III . At least now I know where I`m starting from.

Now if only I could decipher those missing SID pixels.... Oh well... off to read another thread....

Thanks a bunch for the information!!!

Saabnormal
Old 30-12-10

My Saabs: color green

Quote:
Hi There...

I've just purchased a 2000 Saab 9-3 automatic. Very happy with the car!

It's time to do a transmission fluid change. I've done my internet best to research the type of fluid. From my very limited understanding, I am to use Dex III, as it is a 4spd automatic. Only 2002 onwards use the ATF 3309. The owners manual also specifies Dex III.

I go to the previous owners Saab mechanic where the last transmission fluid change was done 3 years, 40,000 miles ago, and they tell me that they use ATF 3309.

What should I do?? Should I do the fluid change then with the 3309 to keep the fluids the same, or can I switch to Dex III ?? I'm not sure about compatibility, or what to do in this case....??

Thanks!!
Looks interesting! Can I see your new 2000 Saab 9-3 automatic? I am glad if you will.
Old 30-12-10

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 Conv

And by the way, there is no transmission filter to be changed along with oil, am I correct?
I'm asking because my 220 000 miles old tranny sometimes behaves weirdly LOL.
Old 10-01-11

My Saabs: color green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
And by the way, there is no used transmissions filter to be changed along with oil, am I correct?
I'm asking because my 220 000 miles old tranny sometimes behaves weirdly LOL.
Your correct
Old 14-04-13

Join Date: Oct 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1999 SAAB 9-3 Base Convertible

Quote:
Eiron...

Because the car is new to me, and not being 100% sure about fluid compatibility, I decided to spend the money for the fluid flush and replacement Dex III . At least now I know where I`m starting from.

Now if only I could decipher those missing SID pixels.... Oh well... off to read another thread....

Thanks a bunch for the information!!!

Saabnormal
Hi Saabnormal,
Could you please tell me which ATF D3 you are using? I am planing to Drain&Fill my 1999 Saab Convertible Base which I think get the same transmission as yours do. Btw, did you fix your SID? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement