2001 Saab 9-3 Won't Start - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th December 2010

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3
Default 2001 Saab 9-3 Won't Start

Hi All,

Please HELP!! So, the other night I was driving home from work. Got 95% of way home, and stopped at store for 3 mins. When I came out, car clicked (one click, not a rapid click) and wouldn't start. Anytime I try to start, the car just gives me a click and nothing else. So, a friend came and jumped me. Car started right up! He followed me home (about 2 miles) and everything was fine. Once I got home, parked the car, turned off, tried to start, and got a 'click' and no start. Let me also add the car had been cranking slow over the past week as I live in the northeast and it is pretty cold! Anyway, I'm thinking it's the battery as I drove home the night the battery died and I got home fine so to me, that means the alternator was giving the battery enough juice to get me home but the battery wasn't holding the juice. Well, I take the battery to AutoZone where I bought the battery 2 years and 1 month ago. They hook up the battery and tell me the battery is 67% charged. They then offered to put on charger for me. So after 20 minutes they take it off their charger, and tell me the battery says it's 100% charged. I am completely perplexed so I take the battery home, put it in the car, and 'click'. Could it be when they "charged the battery", when they tested it, it wasn't under a load like starting an engine!

I still think it sounds like a battery but who knows. Does anyone have any thoughts? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much.

Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE convert. V6

if a jump start continues to start the car, it seems that the battery is ng, or there is a poor connection at either one of the battery terminals to its battery post or a bad connection between the battery negative cable and its ground on the car chassis or engine. that last one is easy to overlook and can cause a lot of trouble. a quick check would be to connect one end of a jumper cable to the neg cable on the batt post and the other end of the jumper cable to any convenient ground (maybe the engine hoist attachment.). if that helps it indicates the batt is not adequately grounded.
Old 16th December 2010

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3

Sounds like the starter is dead. Sometimes a dying starter will work a few times just to confuse the DIYer .

BTW, I find that Autozone diagnostics are not very reliable.
Old 16th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: '00 Viggen 3dr

Sounds like a charging problem to me. Either a dying alternator or a slipping serp belt. Are you getting any whining noises from the right side of the engine?
Old 16th December 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
Location: (Boston, MA) 1998, 900S, 4 Door, 2.3 non-turbo,(Shell Rotella T6) dist igntion,
My Saabs: 112k, 5 spd(MTF-0063), No ACC, Moonroof
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonj129 View Post
Hi All,

Please HELP!! So, the other night I was driving home from work. Got 95% of way home, and stopped at store for 3 mins. When I came out, car clicked (one click, not a rapid click) and wouldn't start. Anytime I try to start, the car just gives me a click and nothing else. So, a friend came and jumped me. Car started right up! He followed me home (about 2 miles) and everything was fine. Once I got home, parked the car, turned off, tried to start, and got a 'click' and no start. Let me also add the car had been cranking slow over the past week as I live in the northeast and it is pretty cold! Anyway, I'm thinking it's the battery as I drove home the night the battery died and I got home fine so to me, that means the alternator was giving the battery enough juice to get me home but the battery wasn't holding the juice. Well, I take the battery to AutoZone where I bought the battery 2 years and 1 month ago. They hook up the battery and tell me the battery is 67% charged. They then offered to put on charger for me. So after 20 minutes they take it off their charger, and tell me the battery says it's 100% charged. I am completely perplexed so I take the battery home, put it in the car, and 'click'. Could it be when they "charged the battery", when they tested it, it wasn't under a load like starting an engine!

I still think it sounds like a battery but who knows. Does anyone have any thoughts? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much.

Jon
when you put the battery in. you made sure the connections were good right?.........do the headlights work? do the Parking lights work? ...it would seem to me that if you put a "fully charged battery" in and neither the headlights or the parking lights work.....then it is the battery
2.3 non-turbo(Rotella T6 5W-40), Distributor Ignition.(No DIC),NGK BCPPR6EGP plugs, 5 speed(awaiting MFL-0063 for flush and refill). recnet coolant flush(yellow) powersteering=CHF-11S, No ACC. working on bringing the maintenance up to par

Last edited by woodyg; 16th December 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 18th December 2010

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3
Default Update...

Ok. So, I put in a new batt last night and still just a click. I am now thinking it's the starter. Well, I go beat the hell out of the starter with a hammer while someone else was cranking and I still get just a click at the starter solenoid. Any other thoughts? Is the 'beat the starter' method a guarantee? Like i mentioned before, on the drive home that night, I jumped the car and drove home absolutely fine so the motor isn't seized or anything. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Just a rundown...
Car didn't start-got just a click at starter
Jumped car and drove home
Got home, tried to start, and got a 'click'
Replaced battery and checked all grounds/connections-still just a click
Banged starter with a hammer while cranking-still just a click

Thanks for all your help!
Old 18th December 2010
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Rather than just throwing parts at the problem, which people and shops love to do., why not do the full battery/charging service.
This includes all of the previously mentioned items plus a load test on the battery.
Its impossible to take a battery, 67% charged, and charge it for 20 minutes and expect it to be fully charged.
It takes much more time than that.
These Autozone places know so little.
This whole shazbang takes several hours of very intensive training and a 100 page manual, at least..
All of the equipment could easy cost in the thousands, Of course I am including everything...
In this case, I suspect some bad cables or connections, a very common event.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=189165
If the starter reacts in a positive manner to the tapping, then the villian has been bared, if not test the leads going to the starter solenoid. This rather large device is attached to the motor and is noted for failing, after years in service.
At the same time, induce current directly to the solenoid, so that we are testing one item at a time.
173K miles in the good ole USA

Last edited by earthworm; 18th December 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement