How to get Ipod hook up for 2004 saab 9-3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th December 2010

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 convertiable 2004
Default How to get Ipod hook up for 2004 saab 9-3

So i go to a car stereo place and they tell me because saab is fiberoptic or something like that it costs 700 to build a transmitter to kill the sound and direct connect my ipod to the stereo. I dont want to ad speakers or anything else like that just get my ipod in my car. all the after market ipod stuff for cars leaves static and sucks. I want no static. Anyone have a solution for this? I didnt see any threads with this info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th December 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 Saab 9-3 2.0t

You need AuxIn
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=227

Once installed, you need somebody with Tech2 to mate it with your car.
Old 7th December 2010

whats tech2? Estimated total cost my friend?
Old 7th December 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Aero, I4, MT6, Maptun Stage 1

A Tech II tool is available at any Saab dealer.
Even if you buy the AUX cable and install it yourself then you have to pay a visit to a Saab dealer to make it working.
Old 7th December 2010
cobra989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyace View Post
whats tech2? Estimated total cost my friend?
I had mine activated at Jim Hudson cadillac SAAB down in columbia, and it cost me 60 bucks to have the tech II activation done. the part from genuine SAAB is great and the install is easy enough, took me about 20 minutes to have it in, as far as your static issue, look at crutchfirld or radioshack and they have a static canceller, i forget what its called exactly i have one in my car and it works pretty well... Ill go look at lunch and come back with the part number. I got mine from crutchfield and it was like 20 bucks shipped.
Old 7th December 2010
Saab Crazy

For noise or hum canceling, have a look at the following thread and the solutions presented there:

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/index...+loop+isolator

All mp3/mp4/ipod devices play well on my Saab through the AUX input provided a ground loop isolator is used in between.

Last edited by chris_de_ze; 7th December 2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 8th December 2010

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible
Default ipod

What about a wired FM modulator? I'm not talking about a wireless one..those generate too much static, especially if there is not an available frequency. A wired FM modulator goes inline between the antenna cable and the head unit? It's an antenna pass thru.

I think my Saab has that. What I do is, there is a cable that plugs into the bottom of the ipod. It's an actual ipod connector, this cable comes out from under the dash.
There is also an on / off switch. When I tune the radio to a specific channel, and I turn the switch on, all sound comes from the ipod directly thru the cable, with no static. It's not a transmitter over the airwaves. it actually cuts out the normal car antenna and sends the signal thru to the head unit, when I turn the power on to the device. With the power off, the signals from the car antenna are allowed to pass thru, letting me use the radio as if the device didn't exist.

Rob
Old 8th December 2010

ok so if i get the aux line in my car i then have to get tech 2 from my local saab dealer. Will there be static or humming left? Im thinking it will be a direct hook up into my stereo so there cant be static anymore right? My girl has a bmw and that has an ipod hook up factory that sounds great. Im looking for that kind of sound. Think ill run by the saab place and she how to figure it out.
Old 8th December 2010
cobra989

It will give you that kind of sound. You will have to select it, once you get it enabled, from pressing the src(source) button on the steering wheel or by pressing the disc button twice, once to get the radio into the disc mode and another to get it into aux mode. if you get the ground loop isolator then you will not have any static.
Old 8th December 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 saab 9-3 arc

why dont people ever search through forums for info? or google search? its been covered hundreds of time
jzw stage 3, 3inch mp performance dp, k and n drop in, 20% tint all around, aux in, prosport digital boost gauge, FMIC, greddy type rz bov, gs shifter reinforcement, spec stage 2+ clutch and flywheel, 2.5 custok exhaust
Old 8th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesho View Post
why dont people ever search through forums for info? or google search? its been covered hundreds of time
Post them then. Iv googled and looked for it here jerk.
Old 8th December 2010
cobra989

here is the how to on doing the install of the cable for into the car and radio.
http://www.etadyne.com/DIYaux.htm
Old 9th December 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyace View Post
Post them then. Iv googled and looked for it here jerk.
Im not being a jerk im being truthful and blunt It took me 5 minutes to find info on pages 5,10, and 12 espicially 5 tells you how to, where to get etc. I am just trying to get people to search more instead of creating new threads and cluttering the forum I understand your new and you may not know what to do at all.
jzw stage 3, 3inch mp performance dp, k and n drop in, 20% tint all around, aux in, prosport digital boost gauge, FMIC, greddy type rz bov, gs shifter reinforcement, spec stage 2+ clutch and flywheel, 2.5 custok exhaust
Old 9th December 2010

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 Arc
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplourdejr View Post
What about a wired FM modulator? I'm not talking about a wireless one..those generate too much static, especially if there is not an available frequency. A wired FM modulator goes inline between the antenna cable and the head unit? It's an antenna pass thru.

I think my Saab has that. What I do is, there is a cable that plugs into the bottom of the ipod. It's an actual ipod connector, this cable comes out from under the dash.
There is also an on / off switch. When I tune the radio to a specific channel, and I turn the switch on, all sound comes from the ipod directly thru the cable, with no static. It's not a transmitter over the airwaves. it actually cuts out the normal car antenna and sends the signal thru to the head unit, when I turn the power on to the device. With the power off, the signals from the car antenna are allowed to pass thru, letting me use the radio as if the device didn't exist.

Rob

Did you install it yourself? And the sound quality is equivalent to aux? I mean if it is, it seems like a cheaper, DIY alternative to having an aux cable installed then having to go activate it via tech II.

Thanks
Old 9th December 2010
Saab Crazy

I got the aux kit from the dealer for the same price as genuine saab I went and picked it up installed it in their parking lot and they used tech 2 to activate it for free
Old 10th December 2010
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplourdejr View Post
What about a wired FM modulator?
Rob,
How is the sound quality with this wired FM modulator?
Does it sound well?
Is it acceptable?
Old 13th December 2010

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible

I did not install it myself...if was already installed in the car when I got the car.

The sound quality is good, according to me. Of course, what one person thinks is good, another will think is bad.

I think the speakers in the Saab are complete junk.

Anyways...aside from that...I think it works pretty well.

I just got another 2004 Saab convertible, same exact car, only different color, and it appears that this other car has the Aux already there.
So...when I can get outside with the iPod, I will hook it up, listen to it, and see if I can notice a difference between both cars. I have to keep in mind that, I put boston accoustic speakers in one, and the other has the original speakers in the dash.

Will let you know.

Rob
Old 21st December 2010

Well i got it installed and didnt even need the tech 2 thing done because i had xm in there already. Its pretty awesome thanks for your help guys. Next step is putting new speakers in because the ones i have in the saab now such big time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement