RWD B202 stateside? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning

C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Classic 900 (C900)

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: No current saabs :(
Default RWD B202 stateside?

I have a 93 volvo 245(station wagon).Its rwd, and everything on it is built like a tank,and its weight distribution is really close to 50/50(it really is).

BUT it has a very anemic engine.Stock is 114 hp from a 2.3L with fuel injection.

So Im looking into an engine swap.I was looking at some V6's to get about 200 hp or so,stuff like the GM 3100,GM 3.8,ford 3.0,etc.Then I thought none of those engines would be as strong or as durable as whats in there now.So I would do the swap then have to rebuild the motor pretty soon depending on how many miles were on the donor vehicle.

So then I thought why not a SAAB B series engine.175HP stock,16V,and legendary durability.

In the UK there are possible connections with opel and triumph.However those vehicles don't exist here.So I was wondering what if anything USA saab owners who have hooked a Saab engine to a RWD transmission did.

granted a volvo station wagon might not be the best canidate for a swap,but it has some good things going for it:
50/50 weight balance
4 link solid axle factory
and VERY DURABLE PARTS

so it would be like a practicable,durable rx7 or beemer...
Advertisement

Old 1st December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 86 & 87 Flatnose T'verts, 86 SPG, 89T

I'd go with a B203 instead of a 202, but either should work I'd think. You could pull one from a 9000 and it will even have an oil pan. I suppose that just like any other engine swap, you'll have to deal with installing engine management, various hoses that don't match the original, adapt the motor mounts and then make an adapter to the tranny. It may just be easier and faster to look at turbocharging the 2.3l Volvo engine if it's built well. You may get very similar results to the B engine. Either way you will be in for a project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1st December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1993 T16 (xLPT) - 1994 RUBY!!!

There's plenty of turbo charged 240's on the net... Try the Volvo forums

G

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/Gs-little-Saab
Old 1st December 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero VTuner Stage 0

Sounds like a good Ford 302 swap. Add in a T5 and life will be good.
Old 1st December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1986 900S 16V N/A

I've often wondered why people don't use the B204 or B234 (9000 version of B202 but with balance shafts and increased to 2.3L) as retrofits for more cars. They're incredibly smooth, durable, powerful, and efficient. And with Trionic 5, you can have a superb grip on your engine's management software! I think Americans are scared of them because they are somewhat advanced designs. As for putting anything American and iron...you know what I think <points down to sig>. I've been thinking about the suitability of a B234 turbo or N/A in a CitroŽn DS, to replace the anemic and inefficient variety of 1.9-2.3 pushrod engines they were available with, but I think I'd need a transaxle from a Porsche to take the extra power and torque.

You'll need to make an adapter plate. And you'll need to see where the optimal break between Volvo and SAAB parts is. You could use a SAAB clutch, or just get SAAB flywheel drilled out for Volvo clutch. Or (maybe I'm dreaming, but it would be nice) the Volvo disc will fit behind a SAAB pressure plate, with no modifications.

Chances are, you're going to need to at least cut some splines or drill some holes to get everything to line up and take power through. Speaking of which, as long as you're making an adapter plate, are you totally satisfied with the Volvo gearbox? As long as you're going through the trouble to make an adapter plate, why not look at your gearbox options as well? Better highway revs wouldn't be the least thing you'd gain.
Old 1st December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 2002 BMW 540i/6MT

My buddy was putting a B234 into an Audi. He built his own adapter plate out of 1/2" aluminum. The Audi clutch disc fit perfectly into the Saab pressure plate.

I'd be willing to bet you'd need a custom input shaft made for the Volvo gearbox.
Old 1st December 2010
Saab Lunatic

the gearbox that is in a volvo is a RWD version of a C900 transmission except that its made out of marble rather than glass.

Im not looking to turbo charge the existing engine because even at 5 PSI it needs premium to avoid knocking under normal use.

The top of the line STOCK volvo turbo engine only comes with 160 hp for that car unless I go with a newer motor which is a major PITA to in install.

not installing a V8.I like being able to turn so handling balance is important to me.not to mention the gas mileage is the suckage.
Old 2nd December 2010

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: '85 900Turbo

mileage nonewithstanding, you'd be suprised how light an all aluminum small block is - only maybe 50-100 pounds heavier at most fully dressed compared to an all iron I4 like the B202...

Though I must admit the idea of a B202 mated to a bulletproof rear-wheel dive tranny does sound very appealing. Imho theres a lot of potential power there, thats not really been realized due to transmission limitations.
Old 2nd December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 88 900 turbo convertible x2 (Red+White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead View Post
the gearbox that is in a volvo is a RWD version of a C900 transmission except that its made out of marble rather than glass.
How about doing a T5/W58/G165 transplant, all of which have been well documented down to you can almost order a kit (I myself have a modified bellhousing to use GM T5 waiting for me to get my white Saab back on the road so I can take the Volvo down)?

Quote:
Im not looking to turbo charge the existing engine because even at 5 PSI it needs premium to avoid knocking under normal use.
Well, I am doing 10-12psi using a 15g and cheapo gas (my personal requirement) in my Volvo. Do you want to see how shiny my spark plugs still look? Wait until I put the APC in. And NPR IC. And chips. And cams. And build 3" exhaust. All them piled up in my apartment waiting for me to stop being lazy ***.

On a side note, I wonder how well those engines, in B234 trim, would work with trionic.

Quote:
The top of the line STOCK volvo turbo engine only comes with 160 hp for that car unless I go with a newer motor which is a major PITA to in install.
Really? But, what does it take to go 300HP in those engines, dirty? And then nicely done? And how about beyond that? Hint: how hard is it to swap a head in those engines?

Quote:
not installing a V8.I like being able to turn so handling balance is important to me.not to mention the gas mileage is the suckage.
I too would not put a V8 because it is just too commonplace. Like, a lot of people think the only way to get *true* power is a carbed SBC with perhaps a supercharger or two. And 2sp powerglide. And rear solid axle with drum brakes. In fact, I am surprised nobody did that to a Saab.

i am inspired. i will replace my windshield... with an intercooler. swedishK
Old 2nd December 2010

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: '85 900Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremedalek View Post
I too would not put a V8 because it is just too commonplace. Like, a lot of people think the only way to get *true* power is a carbed SBC with perhaps a supercharger or two. And 2sp powerglide. And rear solid axle with drum brakes. In fact, I am surprised nobody did that to a Saab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v0moSH1xYU

PS :drool:
Old 2nd December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Why buy a Saab then?

Old 2nd December 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 82 900t saloon

Quote:
Why buy a Saab then?
Volvo units are stout. You can't tell me that rengineering the wheel is easier than changing the wheel bearing.

www.turbobricks.com

done.
Old 2nd December 2010
Saab Lunatic

My comment was about putting a V8 in it. If you want a SBC, get a chevy wrapped around it.

Old 2nd December 2010
Saab Lunatic

couple of questions:
does a B234 out of a 9k have a steel oil pan?

I heard that the B234 has a "gm pattern? is that Metric gm?
Old 2nd December 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
My comment was about putting a V8 in it. If you want a SBC, get a chevy wrapped around it.
I would agree if we were talking about a Pontiac.

But this is a Volvo an SBC swap is just so easy and worthwhile!
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 8th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM

Just do the V8, the day a Volvo with a small block is commonplace is the day I eat my hat! But it is also much easier, this lemons team built a v8olvo for under $500!
Old 8th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t View Post
I would agree if we were talking about a Pontiac.

But this is a Volvo an SBC swap is just so easy and worthwhile!
Which is why I love the 68 Camaro with a 5.0L Ford engine in it.

Old 8th December 2010

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: '91 900 16V Turbo

I like the V8 idea. How about an LS1+T56 swap? get an LS1 out of a 98-02 f-body or corvette and a matching T56 6 speed manual. run it carbed, do all necessary fabrication, and go destroy some ricers.
Old 9th December 2010

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: Sob

Ugh geez come on I had to come look at this as suggested by another member. How misinformed are you about Volvo motors that you would even think about doing something like what you are thinking.

You can get almost 200hp out of your stock engine any day of the week by merely doing a +T at the cost of maybe 300 dollars. You can easily run 8psi all day long on crappy gas or 13psi on the good stuff. You can achieve 300hp with not to much drama. Before i dismantled mine i was running 17lbs with no issues. It was I don't know how many hp but it moved pretty damn good.

0-60 run while trying to maintain grip on a crappy road. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._VIDEO_010.mp4

It was also during a time when the car was running no where near its fastest.
Old 9th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

http://turbobricks.com/feature.php

Sponsored Links
Advertisement