Bad Crank Position Sensor Symptoms? Car is bucking/jolting under acceleration. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th November 2010

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: '96 Saab 900 SE 2.0 Turbo
Default Bad Crank Position Sensor Symptoms? Car is bucking/jolting under acceleration.

Hello everyone. I have recently run into some problems with my '96 900SE Turbo.

I start out driving, and the car runs normal. About 10 minutes into the drive, the car begins bucking/jolting anytime I have my foot on the gas pedal. Doesn't have to be hard acceleration or anything. Seems to get progressively worse as I drive. For example, when it first starts, it does it intermittently, but then as time passes, it begins doing it more and more steadily until it's doing it non-stop with my foot on the gas pedal.

The plugs are brand new NGKs. Whatever the recommended ones are, I forget the #, 6es-11 or whatever they are. Replaced the DIC a month or so ago. CEL has been on since owning the car basically (was my dad's before it was mine). Throwing a P0300 Random Cylinder Misfire. Car starts a little hard. Has been like that long before this problem, though. Hesitates for a couple seconds trying to turn over before it fires up.

Garage thought it was water in the gas tank at first, but now it doesn't look to be the case. But the bucking it does is similar to fuel-cut they do when the turbo gets too high. Wondering if it could be a bad Crank Position Sensor?

Any help/input is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th November 2010

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 97 2.0t, 98 2.0t coupe , 00' 95 3.0t
Garage

I had very similiar symptoms with my car, and everyone was telling me it was the CPS, I changed it, the problem didnt go away. Turned out that the little sock on the bottom of the fuel pump was clogged, so I took it out and cleaned it, never had the problem again. Check the fuel filter and pump sock first before going out spend 100 bucks on a CPS, though it is probable that it is that. How many miles?
Old 27th November 2010

Thanks for the input, I'll have to check that out. The car has ~157k miles on it.
Old 27th November 2010
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atv821 View Post
I had very similiar symptoms with my car, and everyone was telling me it was the CPS, I changed it, the problem didnt go away. Turned out that the little sock on the bottom of the fuel pump was clogged, so I took it out and cleaned it, never had the problem again. Check the fuel filter and pump sock first before going out spend 100 bucks on a CPS, though it is probable that it is that. How many miles?
Interesting letter and letters; I still feel that the CPS magnet losses power over time(10 years , 20 years, who knows)
This varies so due to quality and QC matters.
This sock, being clogged, I remember one on the old '78 EMS, also the gas being contaminated inside the old steel tank...
Realms have been written about the FP, its access, its diagnostics, I remember nothing of the "sock", but there are many filters in the system.
The CPS output of 2.5 volt should be checked.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 27th November 2010

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 97 2.0t, 98 2.0t coupe , 00' 95 3.0t
Garage

Yes, there is a little fine mesh sock thing, I guess you could call it the pickup screen, on my fuel pump. 157K wouldn't be unordinary to have to change the CPS though. Too bad the CPS didnt throw its own code...
Old 27th November 2010

The garage did check the fuel pump while they were trying to figure out the problem, and it was producing the proper pressure at a steady rate. Not sure if that would happen if this sock/filter thing was clogged?
Old 27th November 2010

Another quick question. Is this the correct Crank Position Sensor for my '96 900 SE Turbo? Part #55557326: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...px?id=55557326

It showed up on some other parts sites when searching for my specific car, but eEuroparts doesn't list my car. For 96, it only lists:
Saab 1996 900S 2.3L non/turbo
Saab 1996 900S Convertible 2.3L non/turbo

If not, which part# do I need? Thanks!
Old 27th November 2010
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetysix900SE View Post
The garage did check the fuel pump while they were trying to figure out the problem, and it was producing the proper pressure at a steady rate. Not sure if that would happen if this sock/filter thing was clogged?
The pressure would suffer, much as the oil pressure drops when the pick up screen is clogged..
IMO, the garage should also check the quickness of the pressure, or the volume.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 27th November 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 SE 'vert
Default word of caution...

You only get one shot at the Tork bolt holding the CPS in there, and it's location is a bear to get a wrench down there. I ended up using a small closed end wrench the same size as the hex on the tork bit and had no issues but it is very easy to strip the little bugger, then you have a problem.

Good luck

John
Old 27th November 2010

Thanks. Anyone know the part # I need? Is it the one I mentioned a few posts up?
Old 27th November 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

The part number for a '96 SET is 4227203 which is superceded to 90451441 ($167.07 dealer list price). Check genuinesaab.com for prices. Before you swap CPSs, use an ohm meter to check the resistance between pins 1-2. It should be 540 +/-55 ohms at 68 degrees farenheit... Ron
Old 27th November 2010

Awesome, thanks for the info Ron. So, this is what I need: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...spx?id=4227203 ? They don't have anything for the newer part # you mentioned (90451441). That shouldn't be a problem, should it?
Old 27th November 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

I don't know why they don't show the newest part number. If you check www.genuinesaab.com under Nick's Parts Price Lookup, you'll see that part 4227203 is replaced by part 90451441. You might also want to call eeuroparts about it. Just remember to get the old o-ring out before you put in the new one, or the sensor won't be close enough to work properly... Ron
Old 27th November 2010

Alright, yeah I saw that on Genuine Saab. I'll have to look into it. Thanks again for the info.
Old 27th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE convert. V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetysix900SE View Post
If you suspect the sock or the big fuel filter, you could have the shop check the fuel volume output, they should have checked that when they checked the pressure.
I noted after I posted this that Earthworm suggested a volume test prior to my post.
Old 28th November 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE convert. V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by widuck1 View Post
You only get one shot at the Tork bolt holding the CPS in there, and it's location is a bear to get a wrench down there. I ended up using a small closed end wrench the same size as the hex on the tork bit and had no issues but it is very easy to strip the little bugger, then you have a problem.

Good luck

John
My recollection might be wrong, but I think on my V6 that the 'little bugger' required a star bit, not a Torx. BTW, on the v6 engine, access to the CPS couldn't be easier. The shop would charge $130. labor for 10 minutes work.
Old 28th November 2010

Yeah, the garage checked some other things with the fuel pump when they were trying to figure it out, and they ruled it out, so the volume and all that should be good.

Also, Ron (or anyone that knows), as far as the part #s you mentioned above, I contacted eEuroparts about it, waiting to hear back. In the meantime, say they get back to me and don't know about it, or don't have the new part #, I'm just curious if it'd be a bad idea to purchase the one they have on their site that uses the old part #? Why does a part # get superseded like that? Would the old one (the one they're selling) be troublesome, or likely to be defective/problematic or something? Thanks again!
Old 25th April 2011

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 SABB 9-3
Angry 03 9-3 wont start

KEY LIGHTS UP EVERY THING, STARTER WILL NOT TURN OVER.. TOOK OUT AND TESTED IT.. STARTER IS FINE... BATTERY IS FINE ?????
Old 25th April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: '00 Viggen 3dr

Might be an ignition switch problem.
Old 25th April 2011
Saab on the Brain!

My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Conv, 2000 9-3 Conv, 2002 9-3

Or NSS if you have an AT.